Note 4 where do I start?!

dynomike87

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Finally jumped ship from iPhone to note 4. So first question what is the first thing you do when you get a android phone? I've heard of bloat ware is there a way of removing it? Is CyanogenMod out for note 4? Im sure I will have more questions but I guess I'll start there

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: where do I start?!

If you just switched I would recommend just getting used to Android before you worry about ROMing with CyanogenMod. I'd play around with widgets and such. As for bloat.. You can disable it through settings, application manager.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I agree. Take a look around learn where different settings are. Look up YouTube videos on the phone. Even us vetted android users need help sometimes! :)

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Also, boat can be damn near anything, so don't worry about it. Most of the time people refer to the carrier added apps as bloat, and those can be disabled as Almeuit described. Last, Cyanogen will render the S-Pen almost completely useless, and with how smooth the Note was when I played with it in BB, seems like a silly thing to do anyway.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Finally jumped ship from iPhone to note 4. So first question what is the first thing you do when you get a android phone? I've heard of bloat ware is there a way of removing it? Is CyanogenMod out for note 4? Im sure I will have more questions but I guess I'll start there
Well congratulations on your new device and welcome aboard.

Well the first thing I like to do is download a keyboard like SwiftKey it's free for Android. 2.) you may not like Touchwiz so you may want to get a launcher I prefer Nova Launcher it is very customizable. 3.) just enjoy your device and set it up to your liking if you have anymore questions we are all here to help out.

Sent from my SM-G900V

SBarksKY

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm a newbie, too! New carrier, and I switched from a rotten apple (SOON, I hope) to the note. Waiting for the 23 rd to arrive is about to break me! I have already bought a micro sd (class 10) an additional battery and a case! The damn device better get here soon; I'm going broke!!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Finally jumped ship from iPhone to note 4. So first question what is the first thing you do when you get a android phone?

Install the AC Forums app so you can talk to all of us from your awesome new phone (don't know why we refer to these things as "phones" still, I had use it to talk to anyone any more).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.quoord.tapatalkacf.activity&token=Nm-iwVo7

Is CyanogenMod out for note 4? Im sure I will have more questions but I guess I'll start there

As suggested previously, I'd recommend staying away from rooting & ROMing your phone for a while. Enjoy it as is for a while. Plus, rooting your phone (an activity that gives you super user access and is required before you can put a ROM on it) VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY! Don't mess with that till you have confidence that your phone does not have issues.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Finally jumped ship from iPhone to note 4. So first question what is the first thing you do when you get a android phone?

One of my favorite convenience apps is called Display Brightness. To me it is one of those apps that really sets android apart from iOS even though it's simple - it provides a huge convenience.

And you simply CAN NOT do this on an iOS device - apple won't allow it. This is just one example of the freedom that android gives you that Apple decides "eh, sorry. you don't need it."

It is an invisible overlay (until you need it). It allows you to easily & immediately change the screen brightness simply by swiping your finger on the trigger area of the screen (I set mine to Left Top).

The really cool thing is that it is ALWAYS available no matter what you are doing (watching a movie, YouTube, playing a game, on the lock screen, etc).

It's great for those scenarios where you walk from a dimly lit place to full sunshine and you forgot to adjust your screen brightness to max.

Just slide your finger up.

Our if you walk into a dimly lit place (movie theater) and you forgot to dim your screen to its lowest brightness.

Just slide your finger down.

These are some settings I change on it:
- select color = yellow
- select alignment = left top
- allow negative brightness = true
- autohide indicator = true
- start after reboot system = true

"allow negative brightness" was just recently added. This is VERY useful when you are in complete darkness (a theater, in bed) and the normal screen lowest brightness is still just too bright. Although, I've heard the the Note 4 can get very dim now. So may not be needed.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

First thing I would do is install the Amazon App store and check it daily to see what the free app of the day is. I've pulled down some very cool apps that generally sell between $0.99 to $20.00 for free. Amazon.com: amazon app download: Apps & Games If you're an Amazon Prime member then make sure you get the Amazon Prime Videos app which lets you watch video for free (on that glorious UHD screen). Then if you intend on using your phone for work, I believe the Google Play store still has Microsoft Office for free. Then I would activate Android Device Manager which will let you track, and remote wipe your device in the event that it is lost or stolen. http://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Oh and last year when the Note 3 came out there were a few iPhone converts that had problems with their text messages (can't remember if it was incoming or outgoing, but I know it had something to do with former iPhone users and their Apple accounts) so you might want to fire off a few test texts to some of your friends to see if Apple finally fixed that issue.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

If you just switched I would recommend just getting used to Android before you worry about ROMing with CyanogenMod. I'd play around with widgets and such. As for bloat.. You can disable it through settings, application manager.
Much of it, but not all...Flipboard/ My Magazine and Evernote for example, can't be disabled through the application manager on 4.4.2. Unless it has changed on the Note 4...those are a few examples. Much of the bloatware in fact, can't be disabled or removed. IIRC, the only way to rid the phone of all bloatware, is by rooting.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm a bit overwhelmed as well. Trying to figure out everything

As others have mentioned. Work with the phone as it comes out of the box. Don't add anything at first. Touchwiz gets lots of bad press but it really has many more options to allow you to get the most from your Note 4. The stock keyboard also provides better integration with the S pen and also gives you 10 presets for saving and inserting blocks of text such as your signature, name, email address. Look at the video links others have posted. I particularly like the ones done by R-I-C-K-Y the android guy. Enjoy the trip and later modify as suits your needs and wants (which the real power of Android).

anon(3012187)

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

Do not go straight to rooting! I made that mistake when I switched from Apple a few years ago. Ended up bricking my note and temporarily went back to Apple. However, I've always missed the Note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34