Note 5 vs iPhone 6s

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Note

Never had any GPS problems with the note either using google maps or a mapping app.

Posted via the Android Central App

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like...

Had my note 5 since launch, used the gps the next day to guide us to our vacation spot. gps got me across 2 states with pen point accuracy just like all of my phones have.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5 via the Android Central App

Great news, thx.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Note

There are Iphone folks...in the Droid forums???

*scratches head*

Oh.

Many use and appreciate the pro's and con's of each platform. Nothing wrong with it.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I dislike Apple products (to say the least) but for some reason, this year, I'm kind of eagerly and quietly anticipating it being really good so it blows the doors off any manufacturer that is trying to compete with them.

That has not happened in 7yrs +. They have for several years just reinvented what everyone else has had for awhile and told their customers it was groundbreaking and they believed them! Their groundbreaking moments were iPhone 1 and ipod 1. They may blow away competition in sales but has more to do with their customers and public perception leading the deception of what a superior product really is.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

That has not happened in 7yrs +. They have for several years just reinvented what everyone else has had for awhile and told their customers it was groundbreaking and they believed them! Their groundbreaking moments were iPhone 1 and ipod 1. They may blow away competition in sales but has more to do with their customers and public perception leading the deception of what a superior product really is.

I actually like Apple products, but you're very correct in this statement. They provide an overall polished experience that is smooth and seamless for most who use it. It is a very solid option for most people just because it has less of a learning curve. But I agree that their sales are more from: 1) people being locked into that ecosystem; and 2) public perception that it is a superior product to everything else out there. An iPhone does exactly zero things that an Android phone can't do, other than access iTunes, iCloud, and iMessage (among other Apple only products and apps).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

iPhones have widgets....

In a sense yes -- but you have to pull down the notification shade every time to access them and see the information. It is their spin on it but I don't like it. The point of a widget (for me) is the information being there on my home screen at all times -- If I have to go to a specific spot I would rather just open the app since it would be the same.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I actually like Apple products, but you're very correct in this statement. They provide an overall polished experience that is smooth and seamless for most who use it. It is a very solid option for most people just because it has less of a learning curve. But I agree that their sales are more from: 1) people being locked into that ecosystem; and 2) public perception that it is a superior product to everything else out there. An iPhone does exactly zero things that an Android phone can't do, other than access iTunes, iCloud, and iMessage (among other Apple only products and apps).

I agree 100%

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site

In a sense yes -- but you have to pull down the notification shade every time to access them and see the information. It is their spin on it but I don't like it. The point of a widget (for me) is the information being there on my home screen at all times -- If I have to go to a specific spot I would rather just open the app since it would be the same.

That's true... I really wish there can be a smartphone that feeds useful information DIRECTLY into my brain. (weather, top news, stock quotes, texts, emails, alarm, etc) I'm just too lazy to pick up a phone... or raise my wrist to look at a smart watch. Guess that's at least 10 to 20 years away. :( (oh, while I'm at it, get me a car that drives itself... my daily commute is worse than hell... stop-and-go 5mph traffic on the interstate 30 minutes each way)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's true... I really wish there can be a smartphone that feeds useful information DIRECTLY into my brain. (weather, top news, stock quotes, texts, emails, alarm, etc) I'm just too lazy to pick up a phone... or raise my wrist to look at a smart watch. Guess that's at least 10 to 20 years away. :( (oh, while I'm at it, get me a car that drives itself... my daily commute is worse than hell... stop-and-go 5mph traffic on the interstate 30 minutes each way)

One day maybe -- but still the widgets on iPhone do behave differently than the ones on Android. They finally got them but put their spin on it. I assume they did it this way since they do not want to change how the home screens work with all the apps on them.

I didn't like having to tap multiple spots to see my calendar -- I prefer just seeing my information right on the home screen. Some may not mind. It is really a preference thing :).

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site

One day maybe -- but still the widgets on iPhone do behave differently than the ones on Android. They finally got them but put their spin on it. I assume they did it this way since they do not want to change how the home screens work with all the apps on them.

I didn't like having to tap multiple spots to see my calendar -- I prefer just seeing my information right on the home screen. Some may not mind. It is really a preference thing :).

I'm the same way. I really dislike having to make multiple taps just to see one piece of information. Skynet or the Borg, just assimilate me into your collective and be done with it! :D

Mcislak

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

i have always had a iPhone since the 3g never missed a beat. tried the s5 last year but was frightened away by all the STUFF i could change that i went back to the iPhone. but something finally clicked in my head. nothing has changed with the iPhone other that its a bigger iPhone. i just can't argue the screen quality or the camera quality. so i am currently daily driving the note 5 and loving it but part of me can't take the 6 plus out of my back pocket. carry it in case i find something i can't do on my note 5. i haven't had to use it yet but i sure will miss my apple watch.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Yup. That is probably my number one issue with iOS. I like being able to put sticky note reminders on my home screen and have my upcoming calendar staring me in the face. I know, First World Problems, but it really is more convenient. iPhones have to be fast - it takes more clicks just to do the exact same thing I can get on Android by glancing at my phone.

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

And that's with the iphone 6. Curious to see the speed test difference with the 6s.

But that was only opening and closing apps. Do.theynhave any speed tests on intense games between the two or work applications? The shutting down of apps on the note 5 was discussed in another post as well.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Couldn't have said it better myself. Apple is successful simply because of marketing, advertising and ids making it popular. iOS has no competition with in the iOS platform which is why year after year they can give their consumers under-specked phones with last years tech, copy and feature and put an apple twist on it, call it revolutionary, and watch people line up for it. Imagine if another tech company had access to iOS and gave apple customers a more superior product hardware wise, apple would be in serious trouble.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Couldn't have said it better myself. Apple is successful simply because of marketing, advertising and ids making it popular. iOS has no competition with in the iOS platform which is why year after year they can give their consumers under-specked phones with last years tech, copy and feature and put an apple twist on it, call it revolutionary, and watch people line up for it. Imagine if another tech company had access to iOS and gave apple customers a more superior product hardware wise, apple would be in serious trouble.

I've often thought of this as well! What would happen if Apple opened up IOS and let all the competition come in? I guarantee not only would other manufacturers make a better phone but the phone would actually run iOS even more efficient than Apple already does.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

I've often thought of this as well! What would happen if Apple opened up IOS and let all the competition come in? I guarantee not only would other manufacturers make a better phone but the phone would actually run iOS even more efficient than Apple already does.

It would probably never happen which is the main reason apple has no real incentive to truly innovate. As long as they customers lining up year after year for the latest apple product, apple has no reason to stray away from their winning formula.

dcstuntman

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Never had any GPS problems with the note either using google maps or a mapping app.

That's good news if Samsung has done something to fix GPS issues. I've only had the S3 and Note3 myself, but it was definitely wonky on both. I use my GPS quite often... Navigation any time in car, Ingress, Geocaching, GPS track log, etc... if I didn't use it so often (and if I hadn't been using GPS in other forms since ~2000) I might not have realized it being a device specific issue.

• Time to signal lock (especially after turning off phone.)
  • Working fine then sudden drop signal... long time to reacquire.
  • Poor lock anywhere with minimal tree cover.

I've had it take 20 minute to acquire signal on many occasions... sometimes restarting the device seems to help (maybe only 3 minutes after restart.)

On trips I've had it work fine for a couple hundred miles... stop at gas station... GPS still running, but phone in pocket... but by the time I got back to the car it searched for satellites... I either let it try to acquire for 15 minutes or so while driving, or used my wife' iPhone. This happened so often on one week long trip that I just expected it to happen, and restarted my phone every time we stopped at a gas station.

I didn't have these issues with either the OG Droid or the Droid X. (or my Garmin or Magellan GPS either.) I expect poor signal in urban canyons, dense forest... but it was so lousy with my S3 that I brought my handheld gps while Geocaching because as soon as I got to the edge of some trees, my location would dance all over the place. The Note3 was marginally better... but I still have the issue of random drops and long acquisition. These problems were not unique to me, as numerous forums and blogs reported the same issues.

I think it will take a month or two to know from heavy users like me if the Note5 fixed those issues... but if so, that's good news.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards