Note 7 - This lag is unfreakingbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My note seems to be just fine very little lag if any. I also removed and disables all apps and settings that are the usual cause of lag but overall it a great device so far. I don't miss my 6s so far and don't think I will.

Nanope

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Jeebus! Will somebody please start a "Does Your Note 7 Lag" poll so I don't have to read through all these useless *lag* threads. :D

Everyone's n7 lags. It'd just most ppl don't understand or even know what lag is. Every review from pocketnow to smaller reviews like flossy Carter all there note have lagged. Like I said earlier it's a nice phone that looks amazing but if your not use to Samsung's laggy setup it will drive you nuts. If you are a Samsung user it won't bother you one bit. A for sure buy if you have used Samsung. If not test it out on some 14 day plan. I loved the phone just couldn't handle the lag

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
"Oh man, if only this ran stock Android" to the new Samsung devices. Then you'd be trading Samsung's camera app for Google's. You'd lose all S Pen functionality. You'd lose Samsung's vastly improved power saving modes. You'd lose all the features that make this device what it is.

Well, but as we've seen with Motorola (not to mention the custom ROM community), you can ADD significant amounts of functionality without changing what's already there. These heavily modified versions of Android that we see on Samsungs, LGs and Huawei/Honor... they go in and fuss around with stuff they have no reason to touch. Like the inter-app sharing system that Sammy broke for a bit. Screwing around with a bunch of under the hood files... You can maintain a interface that is stock, or damn near stock, and still stuff in a long list of features. Not only will the phone run better, but the OEM would be able to push out major updates far quicker since they won't have to go through and do a whole mess of extra development work. Let Google carry most of the heavy OS weight... they already developed the entire operating system for you, why go back in and screw it up?

You can have a 'stock' version of Android with a mile long list of additional features incorporated...

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Everyone's n7 lags. It'd just most ppl don't understand or even know what lag is. Every review from pocketnow to smaller reviews like flossy Carter all there note have lagged. Like I said earlier it's a nice phone that looks amazing but if your not use to Samsung's laggy setup it will drive you nuts. If you are a Samsung user it won't bother you one bit. A for sure buy if you have used Samsung. If not test it out on some 14 day plan. I loved the phone just couldn't handle the lag
Watch the video I posted. The Note 7 is very fast.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I couldn't have said it better myself. Samsung's software has still a long way to go. If Samsung offered the option to unlock the bootloader, or even the option to have a vanilla Note 7, I would consider buying it.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, but as we've seen with Motorola (not to mention the custom ROM community), you can ADD significant amounts of functionality without changing what's already there. These heavily modified versions of Android that we see on Samsungs, LGs and Huawei/Honor... they go in and fuss around with stuff they have no reason to touch. Like the inter-app sharing system that Sammy broke for a bit. Screwing around with a bunch of under the hood files... You can maintain a interface that is stock, or damn near stock, and still stuff in a long list of features. Not only will the phone run better, but the OEM would be able to push out major updates far quicker since they won't have to go through and do a whole mess of extra development work. Let Google carry most of the heavy OS weight... they already developed the entire operating system for you, why go back in and screw it up?

You can have a 'stock' version of Android with a mile long list of additional features incorporated...

Don't get me wrong; if Samsung chose to adopt the Motorola approach, I'd be all for it. What I'm saying is people who want just bare stock Android on this thing are missing the benefits of TouchWiz. If you incorporate these features, albeit a few less would be great, into that Moto approach, I think it'd change a lot of minds.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't have said it better myself. Samsung's software has still a long way to go. If Samsung offered the option to unlock the bootloader, or even the option to have a vanilla Note 7, I would consider buying it.

There will be no such unicorn as a Vanilla Note, it wouldn't be a Samsung.

Nanope

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Or maybe, just maybe, the problem isn't with the phone or with us - it's with you and your biases. Here's a speed test showing the Note 7 beating the iPhone 6S in most of the comparisons.
https://youtu.be/EEmvbYvmnGE

You are right. It's my fault that ever single Samsung product. I have tried has lagged and skipped. I will remember that when I play with someone elses phone and it lags it just must be my fault.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You are right. It's my fault that ever single Samsung product. I have tried has lagged and skipped. I will remember that when I play with someone elses phone and it lags it just must be my fault.
Well, this video shows the Note 7 beating or matching the iPhone 6S in pretty much every test. If any phone lags in the speed comparison, it is the iPhone. Like I said, this is more a case of your confirmation bias than anything else.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

This product obviously isn't for you. Any particular reason why you're still harping on this? You made your point. Not sure a lot of people see it your way, but you hammered home your central theme of "OMG Samsung lags".

Allison Suderski

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: This lag is unfreakingbelievable

I'm convinced there's people who log onto these forums every year for the Galaxy launches and claim this. Wouldn't be a launch without it. I must be the luckiest guy in the world because after the following: S3, Note, S4, Note 2, S5, Note 3, S6 Edge, Note 4, S7/S7 Edge, and now Note 7, I haven't come close to experiencing these "unfreakingbelieveable" lag fests.

Posted via the Android Central App

I updated from my Note 4 and love the feel and look of the Note 7 but ever writing this I'm getting down much lag on the keyboard, I'm having to go back about every other word too retype. Internet isn't loading properly more than half the time I get connection failed, retry. When it is up I don't get pictures loading, just spinning.

Here's stance without my going back h and correcting what Thom r air correct and lag has done.

That was, here is a sentance without my going back and correcting what the lag has done.

I had to type letter for letter and several letters had to be pressed multiple times to get it right.

I'm not sure if my individual device is bad or if it's a phone model issue. I have not used anything but Samsung products for years and am very disappointed.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I really have nothing else I can say. I've used every phone that's been relevant over the past 6+ years aside from the OnePlus 3. I've got prior mobile experience with Verizon. I do everything short of making this a full time job/reviewing them for a living. I'm not saying the performance is perfect---no device is. I'm just saying that a lot of what's being described sounds like recycled complaints from prior Samsung devices from accounts that are new here on these forums.

If you expected this device to be as smooth as the iPhone or the Nexus 6P, you had the wrong expectations going in. If you expected it to be as fast, you expected right and were rewarded with a device that's every bit as fast as either of those devices.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Not seeing how you can compare the iPhone that is pushing half the pixels. If you weight the impact of that, the Note actually performs better than the iPhone due to more relative resource load. Change the display of the Note 7 to FHD and turn the other power savings off and then you have similar devices. The irony is the Note 7 in FHD still looks better than the 6+ display.

How is the display res resource equation something hard to understand by media and some posters that sometimes seem to be baiting?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I updated from my Note 4 and love the feel and look of the Note 7 but ever writing this I'm getting down much lag on the keyboard, I'm having to go back about every other word too retype. Internet isn't loading properly more than half the time I get connection failed, retry. When it is up I don't get pictures loading, just spinning.

Here's stance without my going back h and correcting what Thom r air correct and lag has done.

That was, here is a sentance without my going back and correcting what the lag has done.

I had to type letter for letter and several letters had to be pressed multiple times to get it right.

I'm not sure if my individual device is bad or if it's a phone model issue. I have not used anything but Samsung products for years and am very disappointed.
Something is wrong with your device. I don't know whether it is hardware or software, but that isn't normal.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Something is wrong... The internet app is very fast for me... Significantly faster than my Nexus 6 and htc 10 using the default internet app even when browsing Android Central on the desktop site. No connectivity issues when I am in an area with plenty of bandwidth.

Areas with a very weak data signal will cause connectivity issues.. But that is expected. Are you sure it isn't connectivity issues with your network?

I haven't experienced any keyboard lag, but I use Swiftkey flow. Works great for me.

Also it could be an app running amuck or something using up too much resources... You can use an app like os monitor to see what is using up cpu bandwidth.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not seeing how you can compare the iPhone that is pushing half the pixels. If you weight the impact of that, the Note actually performs better than the iPhone due to more relative resource load. Change the display of the Note 7 to FHD and turn the other power savings off and then you have similar devices. The irony is the Note 7 in FHD still looks better than the 6+ display.

How is the display res resource equation something hard to understand by media and some posters that sometimes seem to be baiting?
Compare it then to the HTC 10 and the Nexus 6P. They have the same number of pixels.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a link for the Pocketnow article on the Note 7? all I could find was this.

Blancco: iOS fail rate epically skyrockets past Android for the first time | Pocketnow

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
The only lag I experienced is the text messaging. I will receive a message and view it close the text messaging and i still see the message icon in the notifications at the top hanging there and i have to go back in the text messaging view it again then it goes away which is annoying! Another thing is when I go into the system applications it takes a while for me to scroll down through them it seems like its taking time to load stuff up but it was doing the same thing in the Samsung store with there note 7 phones and T-Mobile but my note 5 never had that issue but other then that I cant complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.