Note 8 wireless charging stopped working

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Ah - I've always purchased from carriers here and done immediate in-store swaps when I've had issues. For this one, Samsung actually wanted me to send my phone back and wait ~2 weeks to get it repaired - but I remembered I'd signed up for their premium care - so they're sending me a replacement device and then I'll ship mine back. The catch is it's not actually Samsung handling the premium care swap - it's through Asurion, which means I could be getting a refurb/repaired one. Guess we'll see.

I have premium care with my carrier (through Asurion as well) I went through the process to make a claim and it said since it was a defect and it's under warranty I need to go to my carrier :S

And an update on that, got a call earlier today that my Note 8 was back and fixed so I go pick it up. The comments from repair place said "performed hardware reset and installed updated software" I was not happy. They didn't have wireless chargers there so I said I would go home and if it's still not working I would be back tomorrow extremely angry.....so guess what I'm doing tomorrow because this thing doesn't wirelessly charge still, so brutal I bet they didn't even test it.

I will try and upload pics but while on the wireless charger the blue charger light is on, Note 8 says it's fast charging wirelessly however battery just drains, in 6hrs it dropped from 28% to 16% so something is not right.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I will try and upload pics but while on the wireless charger the blue charger light is on, Note 8 says it's fast charging wirelessly however battery just drains, in 6hrs it dropped from 28% to 16% so something is not right.
this is exactly what mine did. But mine freaked out first and refused to turn back on. Samsung sent me a new one. Cool thing is they let me keep all the stuff that came with the first one. They only wanted the phone back

lady of the lake

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Same issue happening for me - I was a pre-order as well (in US). Noticed MST payments not working last week, tested it on a wireless charger - at first would register and not charge, and as of yesterday it's at the point where it doesn't even register with the charger (unless I reboot it while it's sitting on the charger - and then it shows charging but does not actually charge). Pretty annoyed since I've taken good care of it - now I'm waiting for warranty replacement, thinking I should've ordered through my carrier so I could swap in store instead of ordering direct from Samsung. I have a bad feeling that as the Note 8 devices get older, we will be seeing a lot more of this issue.

Now I've got that sinking feeling that my Samsung wireless charger isn't faulty like I originally thought. My phone is acting like you are describing, can't get it to start charging than it turns on and off for hours if I'd let it. Last week Samsung Pay wouldn't work either at a place I used it the week.

I did order mine through Verizon and I have the additional insurance coverage so I definitely am going to try and get this fixed. I just had foot surgery and can't drive so hopefully we'll be able to resolve this over phone.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Now I've got that sinking feeling that my Samsung wireless charger isn't faulty like I originally thought. My phone is acting like you are describing, can't get it to start charging than it turns on and off for hours if I'd let it. Last week Samsung Pay wouldn't work either at a place I used it the week.

I did order mine through Verizon and I have the additional insurance coverage so I definitely am going to try and get this fixed. I just had foot surgery and can't drive so hopefully we'll be able to resolve this over phone.

You can get a next day replacement sent to you over the phone. The tricky part is trying not to let them make you do a factory reset. Its hard though cause that's part of the trouble shooting they are required to do. I was able to convince the person on the phone that a factory reset would do nothing. Got my replacement and all is well. If I were you I would call Verizon tech support ASAP and get the replacement.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The reason for the factory reset is to protect the repair place. Once they factory reset it, there's none of your data to steal, so even if you have your bank login and password on the phone, you're safe. (I used to make it a fireable offense, when I owned my stores, to work on a phone that hadn't been reset in front of the customer as it was being accepted for repair - just for that reason.

It's better if they mail you a replacement - you can NFC the old phone's data over to the new one, then (after checking the new one to make sure everything transferred) factory reset the old one before sending it back.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I have premium care with my carrier (through Asurion as well) I went through the process to make a claim and it said since it was a defect and it's under warranty I need to go to my carrier :S

And an update on that, got a call earlier today that my Note 8 was back and fixed so I go pick it up. The comments from repair place said "performed hardware reset and installed updated software" I was not happy. They didn't have wireless chargers there so I said I would go home and if it's still not working I would be back tomorrow extremely angry.....so guess what I'm doing tomorrow because this thing doesn't wirelessly charge still, so brutal I bet they didn't even test it.

Well I went back to the Rogers store and the Store Manager told me that there's nothing he can do as it doesn't make sense to send it back again so he suggested I call Assurion......I called them and they said if I want a new device from them I had to pay their deductible ($200 + tax). No way I'm doing that for a device that has factory defect so I called Rogers Technical Support, after 25min on the phone and speaking to a manager they agreed to replace the device and send me a new one. They tried to charge me a "Switch Fee" of $35 I almost lost my mind so they credited me $35 on my account.

Pretty much the hardest thing to get replaced under warranty for me for as long as I can remember.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
The reason for the factory reset is to protect the repair place. Once they factory reset it, there's none of your data to steal, so even if you have your bank login and password on the phone, you're safe. (I used to make it a fireable offense, when I owned my stores, to work on a phone that hadn't been reset in front of the customer as it was being accepted for repair - just for that reason.

It's better if they mail you a replacement - you can NFC the old phone's data over to the new one, then (after checking the new one to make sure everything transferred) factory reset the old one before sending it back.

I'm talking about them making you factory reset it before they ship a new one. Yes you have to do that before you return the defective device it even tells you in the return instructions in the box, I just prefer having my device and the new one and transferring my apps and data using the USB C smart switch instead of using backup and restore.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
you guys every figure this out? on my Samsung (brand) slow charger, now the blue light on the charger lights, but the phone doesn't acknowledge that it is charging, and doesn't charge. thought it was a fluke at first but happened again and now I can recreate it. Samsung (brand) fast charger seems to register on the phone. a bit odd, will have to see if the fast charger triggers the ability of the slow charger to register.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT1981