Note9 is less water-resistant than Note8

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Is Android Central a more reliable source of information than Samsung regarding the specs of a Samsung phone?

Yes. It's posted everywhere as IP68. Even Verizon has it listed as IP68: verizonwireless.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-note-9/

BTW, IP67 isn't LESS water resistant than IP68. It just means that an IP68 device can fall in little bit deeper water than the IP67 version.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It's posted everywhere as IP68. Even Verizon has it listed as IP68: verizonwireless.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-note-9/
But the only place "everywhere" could have gotten that information from is Samsung, right? And Samsung now says IP67. I'd say we have to wait a bit to find out where the error lies.

BTW, IP67 isn't LESS water resistant than IP68. It just means that an IP68 device can fall in little bit deeper water than the IP67 version.
How is that not less water resistant for IP67?

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I'd bet that the phone itself is built for the same rating as the Note 8 (IP68), but then inclusion of bluetooth and a supercapacitor on the S-Pen changed the overall rating of the device to IP67.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Yes, according to everyone except Samsung:

View attachment 287750

Wrong.

Go here: samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-note9/performance/

Read this section in the link above:

Water and dust resistant
Conquer the elements.
For many phones, water is kryptonite. With its IP68 rating, the Galaxy Note9 is water, dirt, dust and sand resistant—so you can use it worry-free.7

IP68 means a phone can be submerged in 5ft of water for 30 minutes. See the "7" superscript after "worry-free"? Here's what the 7 means:

7. IP68 rating. Based on test conditions for submersion in up to 5.0 ft of freshwater for up to 30 minutes. Rinse residue/dry if wet.

Again, click the link I provided and scroll down.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Again, click the link I provided and scroll down.
Thanks for the link. So Samsung is saying different things in different places--in my screenshot they said IP67 instead of IP68.

My guess would be that you're right that IP68 is correct, but I'm not quite certain as long as the information from Samsung is inconsistent.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the link. So Samsung is saying different things in different places--in my screenshot they said IP67 instead of IP68.

My guess would be that you're right that IP68 is correct, but I'm not quite certain as long as the information from Samsung is inconsistent.

It's being reported as IP68 rating on all carrier websites and in the Samsung link I provided. Occam's Razor says...

The good news is that if we were to drop our Note9 into a puddle, it won't die on us.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
100RNR