Nougat, official rollout OTA for OP3 & OP3T

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Installed the OTA update and it blew away the carrier APN settings so I was without data for a while. Apart from that no issues this far. Love how I can fit more on the screen now....

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Installed the OTA update and it blew away the carrier APN settings so I was without data for a while. Apart from that no issues this far. Love how I can fit more on the screen now....

The APN settings are still there, they're just a little buried in the SIM card settings.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing. I'm not sure how much time I wish to devote to fixing bugs that inhibit my phone's performance. Had I been fortunate enough to win one of the 3T phones being given out by MKBHD, I would have dedicated one to the stable channel and one to the CBs.

I'll likely play it safe and stick with the stable build. But I'm in no hurry to upgrade. There seems to be a lot of chatter over at the Nougat bug thread on /r/oneplus. ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/5lbfjt/op3_n_40_official_bugs_thread/
I downloaded OxygenOS 4 at around 1145pm December 30th. The update was complete on January 1st. I had no noticeable bugs. The first thing I did was to clear me cache (settings > storage and memory > storage) and then restart the phone.

I'm am opting not to factory reset my phone just to get F2FS. I want to wait fit more info on F2FS. Factory reseting my phone is my last resort because I rarely use stock applications. It can take me up to two weeks before all of my applications are personalized. Only some of my apps have backup capabilities.

Also, if it isn't broke... My phone interacts well with my computer if I want to throw some file on it via usb connection. I have not found anything definitive about how well F2FS is with Windows 10 and moving files via usb connection. I know there is WiFi or Bluetooth but those solutions can be slower than my computer and the USB option.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I am in very much the same boat as you in that it will likely take me a week or three to install and tweak everything to my satisfaction. And hope that my (poor) notes remind me of all the apps I use. The task is daunting and makes me hesitate jumpimg on Nougat.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
OnePlus 3, (OP3T comes with F2FS by default), running Nougat and have been on the F2FS file system for a month, since the release of Beta 8. No problems whatsoever with Windows 10 and transferring files via USB. OP3 users must be on Nougat and do a Factory Data Reset to enable the userdata partition to be re-formatted from EXT4 to F2FS, if they wish to change. No discernible advantage in day to day usage save for faster games and better benchmarks. For the geeks among you...

F2FS

[Benchmarks] File System Performance: F2FS vs EXT4

File systems

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded OxygenOS 4 at around 1145pm December 30th. The update was complete on January 1st. I had no noticeable bugs. The first thing I did was to clear me cache (settings > storage and memory > storage) and then restart the phone.

I'm am opting not to factory reset my phone just to get F2FS. I want to wait fit more info on F2FS. Factory reseting my phone is my last resort because I rarely use stock applications. It can take me up to two weeks before all of my applications are personalized. Only some of my apps have backup capabilities.

Also, if it isn't broke... My phone interacts well with my computer if I want to throw some file on it via usb connection. I have not found anything definitive about how well F2FS is with Windows 10 and moving files via usb connection. I know there is WiFi or Bluetooth but those solutions can be slower than my computer and the USB option.

So you did an OTA upgrade, cleared the system cache, then simply restarted your phone? I'm guessing the phone restarted on its own once the Nougat upgrade was installed and the restart mentioned above was a 2nd restart after clearing the system cache. Is that right?

jbbrown79

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I did an OTA update several days ago via Opera VPN (changed my region to Canada). It works great and I haven't had any problems. Phone was noticeably quicker. Just for giggles, today I fully wiped the phone to get F2FS. I know it doesn't mean much, but my AnTuTu score went from 148k on MM to 159k on N.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am in very much the same boat as you in that it will likely take me a week or three to install and tweak everything to my satisfaction. And hope that my (poor) notes remind me of all the apps I use. The task is daunting and makes me hesitate jumpimg on Nougat.

To be honest dude, if it's causing you that much stress just leave it on ext4... There really isn't much of a difference beyond a few points of nerd cred... I did mine earlier (I've got TWRP installed, so no data loss for me :p ) and the difference is basically imperceptible. It's a little quicker, but is your phone actually slow now?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
To be honest dude, if it's causing you that much stress just leave it on ext4... There really isn't much of a difference beyond a few points of nerd cred... I did mine earlier (I've got TWRP installed, so no data loss for me :p ) and the difference is basically imperceptible. It's a little quicker, but is your phone actually slow now?

Oh not at all. I'm quite happy with my OP3 under MM. But my anal nature requires most things technical to be optimized. ;)

I prefer to install a new PC OS clean. It seems to minimize issues. So part of me wants to do the same with a major OS upgrade on my phone. But to save time, I'll likely do a simple OTA upgrade, clean the system cache and reboot.... and hope for the best. Especially since I have no experience and/or comfort level doing the clean install on a phone.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh not at all. I'm quite happy with my OP3 under MM. But my anal nature requires most things technical to be optimized. ;)

I prefer to install a new PC OS clean. It seems to minimize issues. So part of me wants to do the same with a major OS upgrade on my phone. But to save time, I'll likely do a simple OTA upgrade, clean the system cache and reboot.... and hope for the best. Especially since I have no experience and/or comfort level doing the clean install on a phone.

Understandable. But it's not like it's all or nothing now... You can always reformat the file system at some point in the future!

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
The APN settings are still there, they're just a little buried in the SIM card settings.
Understood, cheers. But the data in the settings had been erased. I happened to not be far from a carrier store and they manually re-entered the access points etc to restore the data connection.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Understood, cheers. But the data in the settings had been erased. I happened to not be far from a carrier store and they manually re-entered the access points etc to restore the data connection.

Good point. I had to copy over my APN settings from my old phone when I moved to the OP3. So I took some screen shots of my APN settings in the event I don't have the old phone handy when I upgrade.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
What happens if you do the update through Canada. You then just wouldn't receive the ota for USA? Sorry for my ignorance

You mean using a VPN? You'll still get the correct software. I believe all the VPN does is trick the phone into thinking you are in a region that's currently receiving the update.

jbbrown79

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you would still receive the correct update. I have done this for the 3.2.8 update as well. Basically, I open Opera VPN, change the region to Canada and then go check for updates. It will say there is an update available, so I then close the VPN connection and start downloading the update.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
OnePlus 3, (OP3T comes with F2FS by default), running Nougat and have been on the F2FS file system for a month, since the release of Beta 8. No problems whatsoever with Windows 10 and transferring files via USB. OP3 users must be on Nougat and do a Factory Data Reset to enable the userdata partition to be re-formatted from EXT4 to F2FS, if they wish to change. No discernible advantage in day to day usage save for faster games and better benchmarks. For the geeks among you...

F2FS

[Benchmarks] File System Performance: F2FS vs EXT4

File systems
Thank you for the helpful information. That gives me something to think about.... To factory reset or not...

How much of an improvement is F2FS response time over EXT4 in your experience?

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So you did an OTA upgrade, cleared the system cache, then simply restarted your phone? I'm guessing the phone restarted on its own once the Nougat upgrade was installed and the restart mentioned above was a 2nd restart after clearing the system cache. Is that right?
Here is what happened...
1. Got the VPN activated and downloaded the update
2. Installed the update after download
3. The phone restarted as part of the update installation process...
4. Install was complete and I went to Settings > Storage and memory > Storage > Cache
5. I selected Cache and a dialogue box poped up asking if I wanted to clear the all programs cache. I clicked on "okay".
6. I manually restarted my phone. I turned on the enhanced power menu in the developer settings menu... Ever since I learned about the developer settings menu the first thing I do with every new phone is to activate the developer settings menu.

After all that my phone purred like a happy fat cat loved by it's human... I also totally killed the battery staying up to all hours getting to know the new layout of Android Nougat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak