Nova Launcher no update for Fold

Catman51

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I wrote to ask, and sadly Nova has no plans whatsoever to make the app work with the Fold.
So, the minute any 3rd party does I am there

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I wrote to ask, and sadly Nova has no plans whatsoever to make the app work with the Fold.
So, the minute any 3rd party does I am there
What are you looking for it to be able to do with the Fold? It works just fine just like it can work with any tablet.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Are you talking about separate set ups inner home screen vs outer like OneUI? On my ZF2 I was running Tasker to run two different launchers by fold state.. I've decided for now to go stock launcher

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site

I used Tasker ran pretty good with two launchers for awhile …found a nice write up on Reddit last year for ZF2 …I was running Nova unfolded and different launcher on folded …even was switching keyboards with Samsung folded and Swiftkey unfolded

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've used Nova for as long as I remember, and I'm disappointed in how stubborn the developer has been regarding supporting the Fold phones. Frankly, this whole Nova 7 beta thing that is going on - I'm not all that impressed thus far with where version 7 is coming along either. At least can they optimize it? When I use Nova and I switch between folded and unfolded, Nova takes some time to come up - like I was restarting Nova each time I open and close the phone. I don't know if it's because I have a lot of apps in folders in the app drawer, but I don't think it should be the case.

I am trying the Tasker solution and it does work - but the pause that Nova takes to come up is still there. Tried unoptimizing battery thinking that was the case and no change. Ahh well, just minor nuisances.

benmeroff

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd ditch Nova if stock launcher had swipe on icons to open additional apps. Can't live without that.

A little late to the party here but yeah that's really the only reason I'm stuck using Nova as well... I managed to use ADB to get a second copy of Nova installed under the Dual Messenger functionality to see if I could leverage Tasker to switch between two different instances of Nova, but Tasker can't pick up on differentiating between app profiles AFAIK so I think I'm outta luck there.

Anyone else have any luck there or finding another launcher with icon swipe functionality?

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
While I'm perfectly happy with Nova, I certainly don't need two different setups, or anything like that, I do occasionally want to try stock, just for a change of pace.

However, stock can't configure to more than a 6 x 6 grid at best, and I use an 8 x 9 grid, and sometimes higher.

There's nothing that stock offers, for ME, that trumps larger grids so I can get more on a single screen.

If/when stock does allow up to 10 x 10, I'll give it a go.

Until then Nova, as is, works for me, and I don't get any lag when opening my F3.

To each their own of course, and I admittedly would like to try stock, though, as I said above, not because of anything lacking in Nova for my use cases, just for something different.

I'm not sure it's fair to expect a 1 or 2 person Dev team to devote time and resources on what is currently a very, VERY niche product.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This really isn't very good news or good relations with their users. With Android 12L coming out that has SPECIFIC API's for larger screen and multi screen devices (mainly high res tablets and FOLDING phones), you would think they would be all over this.

I think it's just a few things to take into consideration here:

1. Limited development resources
2. Mistakenly thinking that Fold phones are a "fad" and does not even PLAN to support
3. Too lazy and not really wanting to take on another "project"

I am sure we can think of many excuses, but all in all, this is really bad for a developer to state as an absolute. :(

I like Stock well enough with GoodLock enhancements, but there are things that Nova does that stock does not. I have tried a few other "Fold Ready" launchers and, so far, nothing really stuck. :(

I hope someone takes this and runs with it!

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Nova will jump on board now that Android 12L is in beta.

But when I was using Nova on my ZF2 I actually used Bixby instead of Tasker.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure it's fair to expect a 1 or 2 person Dev team to devote time and resources on what is currently a very, VERY niche product.

They've made so many millions (USD) in revenue that if they are still a 1 or 2 person Dev team, they have more than enough resources to make themselves bigger to accommodate the vast amount of users they have. Like previously mentioned, Google is adopting a plan for foldables and even though Pixel Fold did not come out this year, I'm going to think it will next year with Android OS foldable support.

Maybe if they weren't so smug about it...

mib1800

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
While I'm perfectly happy with Nova, I certainly don't need two different setups, or anything like that, I do occasionally want to try stock, just for a change of pace.

However, stock can't configure to more than a 6 x 6 grid at best, and I use an 8 x 9 grid, and sometimes higher.

There's nothing that stock offers, for ME, that trumps larger grids so I can get more on a single screen.

If/when stock does allow up to 10 x 10, I'll give it a go.

Until then Nova, as is, works for me, and I don't get any lag when opening my F3.

To each their own of course, and I admittedly would like to try stock, though, as I said above, not because of anything lacking in Nova for my use cases, just for something different.

With good lock home up you can go up to 7x7. I think that's good enough. I gave up on nova and use stock. I use themepark to bring over icon packs. Gestures I just just one hand operation+. After doing this there isn't much difference from nova. Stock launcher is better integrated/suited for icons, themes, widgets and both screens. Nothing I missed from nova except customization of folder shapes and transition animation.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
With good lock home up you can go up to 7x7. I think that's good enough. I gave up on nova and use stock. I use themepark to bring over icon packs. Gestures I just just one hand operation+. After doing this there isn't much difference from nova. Stock launcher is better integrated/suited for icons, themes, widgets and both screens. Nothing I missed from nova except customization of folder shapes and transition animation.
You can't change the grid size on the outer screen with Good Lock.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
As much as I enjoy stock I'm using nova now

I'm a big widgets guy and nova lets you do as much as you want unlike on stock oneUI

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This is their official response.

Now, I did send a follow-up email asking if this stance will change when Android 12L is released.

Waiting on that response. :)

nova.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress