Novatec screens more responsive?

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyways I went into Sprint yesterday to get my replacement Evo, because my second one was having speaker issues, and some dead pixels. The first two Evo's I had were 0003 with Epson screens. The one I got yesterday is a 0003 with a Novatec screen. I must say the colors and blacks are much better on this screen, and it also seems much more responsive. Another thing I noticed was it fades the backlight, instead of being instant like the Epson's were.

Anyone else notice the Novatec to be more responsive?

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
The screen may be different, but it's the digitizer that makes it a touchscreen. So unless the digitizer is different too, there isn't really any reason it would be more responsive.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The way to tell is change your brightness on the power control, and if it fades that's the Novatec. If it instantly changes you have the Epson...

I dunno KD but i'm playing with my friends Epson screen and then mine, with killing all apps. Mine seems much more responsive

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I guess I have the novatech, no complaints but I'd like to see the other screen. My friend has a launch day evo I think I'll ask to see his and see what screen he has.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
The way to tell is change your brightness on the power control, and if it fades that's the Novatec. If it instantly changes you have the Epson...

I dunno KD but i'm playing with my friends Epson screen and then mine, with killing all apps. Mine seems much more responsive

it could just be the amount of apps installed. i definitly notice a huge difference between a fresh rom, and one thats loaded up with apps. It really obvious after you flash a rom and see how speedy it is and then once i load up all my programs (i have a lot) it slows right down.

and if your at the home screen, different live wallpapers can make the screen feel more or less responsive.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Both phones had about same amount of apps, and both had all apps killed. I guess i'm saying maybe the touch input lag is much better on the Novatec panels. Which in LCD's this is common for others to be better.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

This method is just dumb dude Sorry...

You need to use Terminal then type SU *requires root*,Then you get the #, then type in dmesg... After that just hit menu and email yourself the results...

When your looking thru the Results look for Epson or Novatec... it will clearly state one or the other...

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
This method is just dumb dude Sorry...

You need to use Terminal then type SU *requires root*,Then you get the #, then type in dmesg... After that just hit menu and email yourself the results...

When your looking thru the Results look for Epson or Novatec... it will clearly state one or the other...

Hmm if it's dumb then why does the guys over at xda dev's say to try this method? Saying the Novatec is the only panel in this phone that fades the brightness? While the Epson is an instant change. Hmm...

Also it does not require root to use terminal and find out which one you have. The have an app called "Android Terminal Emulator".

Dk and Pookie, some maturity would be more tolerated. At least in playing with numerous phones, and doing reviews. I can say that LCD panels can have different input lag's, which the same is said for anything with a LCD panel. It's like saying a Vizio and Samsung are on par with panels and input lag. Ha! According to XDA the Novatec panel seems to not only have better picture quality, but may even have faster input lag. I'm not here to get a "yes" out of anyone. It's a forum where we have discussions. I brought it to everyones attention, to see if any other users had experienced this.

I mess with tons of different phones all day, i'm not that in love with my Evo.

Last edited:

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, the OP certainly feels that his new Evo is more responsive than his last, but further discussion aside, it's going to be nearly impossible to conclude anything without some seriously controlled testing. I think that was the point of our "immature" comments: without controlled testing, the question can never be satisfactorily answered.

Here's my answer for the sake of discussion, though: no, the Epson screen is more responsive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear