Official feedback thread for new forum design (beta version)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyCori

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Re: Official feedback thread for new forum design!

I noticed while browsing WC that closed threads don't say closed at the bottom. It was a little jarring because I didn't catch it at the top and it left me wondering why there wasn't a reply option at the bottom. Perhaps something should be at the bottom of the thread to indicate that it's closed.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

The display of participated threads needs a little more distinction for threads that have new replies. Right now, we need to remember when we last viewed a thread to realize there are new replies.

Also missing on the participated view, the "breadcrumb trail". Right now, that trail just shows "search", would be nice to have a link to the top level of the forums.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

Are there plans to add some sort of button or link to activate a bring to top function? That might be beneficial, at least to me considering how often moving from one forum to the other could be time consuming. Especially if having to go back to the top every time after a reply or post via mouse wheel or Page Up. Thanks.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

I am pretty sure this was brought up, but I will reiterate. For the Light theme, the color/shaded background on quotes should be on the opposite side of the color spectrum from my perspective. It could also be because of my monitor itself. I can make it out just barely as like a manilla folder yellow color, but have to look for the indent to know if some one was quoting or not...unless I look for the mini quote header detail.

Thanks.

cuttheredwire

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site

I'm sorry, but you don't want my honest opinion. :) I'm harsh on designs as a designer.

There is no indication of which section is a forum or which is a collection of subsections.

Also, the old view gave you an idea of how many subsections were dead/active. I think you have too many sections. They need to be reined in; simplified. No subsections.

Right now you have to tap:

Forum > Section > Subsection > Thread.

I would like to see the five most recently active threads on the forum view. For the help section, I would have the ten most recent, but I'm IT. At the very top, I would have the top 5 threads regardless of section.

Then you would only have to tap:

Forum > Thread

Now, if five threads feels like too many, do three. If you feel people would be divided, then give them a link to just forums or let them turn it off.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

More feedback -

On the display of posts of mine that people have liked, the user and post text are collapsed on each other.

There is no distinction of links within posts. Links that get parsed and are just normal text look EXACTLY like normal text, it's hard to tell they're a link without hovering on them.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

The "likes" display is still messed up. Other than not being able to read the name of the member that liked a post, the display just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the design.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 5.41.58 AM.png

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the insights. I asked to better understand the motivations for change, and then perhaps that might help me or others provide suggestions, or ideas that are more in tune with the design goals and requirements. I do appreciate the opportunity to help test the new design, and understand that the redesign is a non-trivial, complex, and large effort.

Good update below. Now I better understand the "what and why" for the change. I still think my original question for why the change is/was a valid question.
Our new forums are here! | iMore

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site

See the attached screenshot, I think there should be some space between the google pixel and the nexus 6 forums

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 23.18.16.png

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Existing design which displays a lot of info:
View attachment 250605...

Ugh. Dislike the new design immensely. The above/previous(?) design provided so much more info in a clean, easy to read fashion. This new design looks anemic, bland, minimalist. And I DESPISE circles! Very reminiscent of when lollipop was introduced. At least on my phones/tables I have the option of launchers with options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d