Official Gingerbread update

jfarling

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded and installed the leak last week, can someone tell me how to get back to the orgional? The instructions to get to the boot loader with froyo doesnt work with gingerbread.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been running the pre-rooted Blackhat Monster leak since April. Does this official update solve any of the bugs, like the LEDs not working properly?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been running the pre-rooted Blackhat Monster leak since April. Does this official update solve any of the bugs, like the LEDs not working properly?

One of the listed fixes is the notification light now working correctly when a message comes in. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Rev.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Mine updated this morning. It seems more responsive, quicker.

Now, however, I'm having a terrible case of ghost in the machine. The phone goes wacky, selecting stuff at random. I've reset several times, pulled the battery, and no luck. It is weird, like it is possessed.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Not impressed.

I had previously been rooted and used ClockworkMod Recovery. Even after uninstalling all of the "extra" stuff that I had added and unrooting I still had to SBF to a previous version in order to get the Gingerbread update to install. I was hoping for something very much like the Droid 3, but it's a bit of a pale shadow of that UI, probably due to weaker hardware specs. Things that I have noticed immediately:

1. The update reset all of my data and battery settings to the defaults, which consume the maximum amount of bandwidth and battery. Seriously, my battery was down to 50% in only two hours. I fear for people who don't have unlimited data plans.

2. The 3G logo in the notification bar is blue and the up/down arrows are always lit. This appears to be the "background data" setting, which keeps the sync process going 24/7 and is presumably killing the battery. Disabling "background data" seemed to fix both issues.

3. The contacts are jacked up beyond all recognition. Instead of keeping just the contacts that I had, not I have contacts for everyone who I have ever interacted with on Facebook, Twitter, via email, etc, including a bunch of new dupes of previous contacts.

But hey, it feels snappier. Who knows if that's any good.

cwhummel

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I was rooted Z4root and had to sbf before the update would take. I really like the colors myself. And yes I am already rooted usingmotorolaoneclick root. Zip. No issues and running smoothly.

So i tried the new version of one click root, and while it went through, i still dont seem to have root. titanium backup keeps saying it cannot get root access.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
But hey, it feels snappier. Who knows if that's any good.

I think the "snappier" thing is a placebo effect. I don't notice the screens moving along with my fingers any quicker than before, there's still a small amount of latency - not a problem in any way, but it's not as close tracking as the iPhone for example.

Rev.

DERacing

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Just got mine. The moto emblem on Boot before the eye is now red instead of white is the first thing I noticed.

anyone have this update rooted yet?

judpma012

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
once you hear people are getting the update give Verizon about two weeks to approve. That is about the usual response time for them:confused:

cephas486

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
has anybody been able to download and install the "official Gingerbread update from verizon at all?

every time i select System updates on my phone, it says my phone is up to date. i know i didnt update it yet though.
I woke up my Droid 2, not Global, this morning and found I had an unexpected update to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), and some changes to the display. Anybody know what the wavy vertical lines are all about? They're between the Bluetooth symbol and the Wi-Fi symbol on my screen.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I woke up my Droid 2, not Global, this morning and found I had an unexpected update to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), and some changes to the display. Anybody know what the wavy vertical lines are all about? They're between the Bluetooth symbol and the Wi-Fi symbol on my screen.

Usually that icon tells you your phone is set to vibrate only (no sound) I think.

Rev.

Reactions: cephas486