OK Google from any screen stopped working

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
This is weird since I've never had problems with this before. All Google voice enabling works fine for keyboard etc and if I tap the Google app, and say "OK Google" it works fine. In the Google app settings I have voice enabled from any screen, deleted and retrained the voice settings. But I still can't get OK Google to work without opening the app. The only new additions where apps are concerned are the Simpsons Tapped Out game but I can't imagine that being the problem.

Anyone else with an ATT GS3 having this issue? Not a huge deal but would like to have OK Google work from any screen.

Thanks.

Julie Howard

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
My husband and I are both having the same problem - Sony Xperia Z3 and LG G4, so it's more widespread than just your model. I've tried the same steps as you have, also with no luck. I'd be very interested to hear of any fixes, or an official response.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Works on my N5, but not on my ZenFone 2, so I'm thinking the latest Search/Google update broke it on either non-nexus or non-marshmallow devices...or both?

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.. I guess Google wants it to work only on their devices which sucks. I'm not buying a Nexus phone for a ton of reasons so I guess I'll have to live with it not working the way it used to. I wonder if it works on the Moto phones which have great voice features though lousy cameras and battery life.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.. I guess Google wants it to work only on their devices which sucks. I'm not buying a Nexus phone for a ton of reasons so I guess I'll have to live with it not working the way it used to. I wonder if it works on the Moto phones which have great voice features though lousy cameras and battery life.

It's probably a bug and will likely be fixed with the next update, so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Have no plans of throwing anything out.. Phone still works great even if Google Now is later, lol

Posted via the Android Central App

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Google just updated and the voice activation is now working. Ok Google.. Glad to hear you're paying attention!

Julie Howard

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Google just updated and the voice activation is now working. Ok Google.. Glad to hear you're paying attention!

Not for me, it isn't. I made a point of updating, and it still doesn't respond from screens other than the app, unless I have it running in the background. I suppose that's an acceptable workaround, but I prefer keeping my background apps to a minimum.

majicjazz

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Updated to the new google and voice activation stopped working, uninstalled the update and voice activation started working again, go figure

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow.. Really strange. You guys have GS3's from AT&T like I do? I just tried it while typing this and it worked fine. I don't have any social media apps running in the background and have removed and disabled as many as I can. In other words I'm using about 10% of the storage.