Ok, what are you using the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for?

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Ok, what are you using the Note Pro for?

yes tablets have a came a long way and this tablet will do great for business where you use word, excel, and other office applications like that; however, for highend jobs, such as high res photo editing, drafting, etc, a pc or high end laptop is still the only game in town. I was seriould considering getting one of the new toshiba, with the flip screen and it is 13inches, before asking myself several questions, such as why do I need to pay extra for the laptop, what will i primarily use it for etc. I have a 27 all in one with 8gb ram etc at home if I need to do serious computing such as when I am writing code or working on a database, but i woul say 75% of the time, this tablet will be better. I can take it to meetings, use it in the kitchen for recipes, etc. It is just more portable and can easily handle what I will be doing 75% of the time.

Sent from my SM-P905V using AC Forums mobile app

robbyhaha

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to these things. But I've just got mine for using when I go out gigging. I've loaded 400 pieces of sheet music on to it. Using an app go display it. Done my first gig with it the other day. Excellent. No sheets

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My 10.1 is my home tablet for gaming and sitting on the couch. The 12.2 is 4G and I use it for work and for watching video during my commute. I can do minor content creation and emails, but I mostly use it for remote desktop. I can also use it to fill out pdf forms by hand.

The 10.1 is light enough to hold it for hours at a time. The 12.2 is too heavy - although it's only an ounce heavier than an iPad 4, the center of gravity, especially in landscape mode, if so far from the wrist that it really puts a lot of strain in the arms, shoulders, and neck. I prefer to use it laying flat on a surface rather than handheld like the 10.1. Also, the on screen keyboard is about the same size as a netbook keyboard - I really like typing with two hands on it, so it needs to lay on a table or something.

Oh yeah, comic books and magazines on the 12.2 are unparalleled.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I Guess I'm one of the few who did buy the Note Pro to replace my Ultrabook. The Note Pro and Zagg keyboard cover and smaller and lighter than my Asus Zenbook. Both the screen and the keyboard are better than the Zenbook also. For work I find that I sped all my time in Outlook reading and answering emails and reviewing file attachments. All of that can be easily performed with the Note Pro. The browsing experience is actually very good as compared to my original Samsumg 10.1 tablet.

Since I travel by air weekly I also have a Kindle Fire 8.9HDX which I think is an outstanding media tablet. I will continue to use that on the plane for entertainment. Once in a hotel room it will depend on the content but likely I will start to use the larger screen of the Note Pro more than the Kindle. One thing with the kindle is that the surround sound is outstanding and more than once I've been watching a movie in my room through its speakers and had to pause the movie to make sure what I was hearing was actually coming from the tablet and not out the window.

While I've only had the Note Pro for a week I am very happy with it. I head out tomorow on my first trip with it and will bring along my Zenbook (just in case) but leave it in my backpack. I'm awaiting the release of a secure card reader (any week now according to them) which will allow the use my my CAC card. At that point the Zenbook can stay home as I will be able to RemotePC into it if needed.

Sent from my Samsung Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I use mine for work and fun:

I run the administrative side of my husband's construction business, and that means I write estimates and bids for jobs which often include various diagrams and graphics, I write client invoices which include spreadsheets, I write notes on various potential jobs to be translated into estimates later on, I keep a timesheet, I use blue prints as well.
I also PDF a lot.
I also teach anatomy, physiology, kinesiology and nutrition and I have Atlas Visible Body app which is a great teaching tool.
I can correct homework and send the assignments back from my Note Pro, too.

For fun, I surf the net, message various people, listen to music, watch stuff on youtube, go online shopping etc.

And when I decide to combine work and fun... I can do that by using the multi screen function, hehehe...
As for my laptop... What laptop? ;)

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm one of the few who actually sold my macbook air that I rarely used and got the SNP12. I already had -- and have -- the SN10.1 2014 edition, and the Note 8.0. I have already gone through the iPad's 1,2,3 and ipad mini 1,2. And nexus 1,2. Even the hp tablet that they killed off very quickly. So I've had much tablet experience, mostly for consumption. But I view the 12 as a true productivity device. I'm a writer/journalist. I do my main writing on a mac desktop. At the end of the day, I can copyread and edit in leisure using hancom word. I can literally do everything digital on the 12. It's spectacular. I also do use t h e 10.1 quite a lot. When I go out I usually take either the note or my lg gpad. I have the 12 in a great case and use a bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse. I'm currently waiting for THE perfect case/keyboard combination for traveling purposes.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I didn't sell my macbook air, I have decided to give it to my daughter. She loves Apple, her old macbook is falling apart, it will be perfect for her. I really have no use for it since getting my Note Pro.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine will replace a laptop eventually. looking for a good trackball; preferably Bluetooth. Logitech keyboard case is on the way for more extensive typing. The on-screen keyboard is fine most of the time. I did have to replace the Samsung keyboard with "ai.type keyboard plus" since one character in a password would not code correctly (It was punctuation). Right now the 12.2 is replacing a perfectly good Nexus 10 (faster, bigger, s-pen). Resolution is way higher than my laptob and it is faster. The size is a big plus and it is actually light weight for the size. Not planning on carrying it around much. I have an old Nexus 7 for that. Might be a good time to upgrade from the Nexus 7 to one of the really good 8 inchers.
There is a bug that crashes the UI when using Chromecast right now. Using my phone for that until it is fixed. No row of icons that travel to all home pages in the UI so I had to change it. The magazine UI looked nice for some screens but the traveling icons was a deal breaker; just too handy for most used icons and folders.
Wireless is AC which my laptop is not. I have AC routers at home.

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I use apple magic pad. Don't have all the functions but it works and is nice to look at.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I use mine totally for gaming, Netflix, and whatever floats my boat. I'm disabled, legs, and use it to basically "goof off" as my father would have said!! I'm a retired professional drummer and plan on finding a serious music production, noise making app when someone writes one. I have a small network that my laptop is running and I sit with this and a nexus 7.2 and read or do whatever with them all day.
At first I used the tablets occasionally and then a switch or something in my brain clicked and now I'm an avid Androidifer!!!! Sorry this got long for anyone...enjoy folks!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just used my 4G Note Pro as my remote device at work today. I used AccesstoGo to rdp into my office computer. The Verizon 4G was plenty fast enough in NYC to handle it, and I was able to do everything I normally do from my laptop. The full sized keyboard is brilliant and allows me to type normally.

I prefer the official Microsoft Remote Desktop, but they don't allow for custom resolutions, and the Note Pro does the native QHD resolution which makes the desktop too small to use (and presumably would require more bandwidth). AccesstoGo allows you to change the ppi.

Instead of lugging around >4lbs of laptop and power adapter, I was able to trim it to 1.6lbs and walk around the office without having to set it down and find a power outlet. I didn't really need to because of the 8 hour screen time, but I could recharge from any micro usb charger lying around.

I'm quite pleased with the way it performed today.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
On my commute home, I used the pop up video player in BS Player to watch my show in a floating window while remoting in to my computer to do some video processing. Both apps worked as smoothly as they do normally. So great.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Marking up PDF files and filling out PDF forms by hand is starting to become a regular thing on my Note Pro. I use the Adobe Reader app.

Clover1

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi-

I am a corporate executive in the non-profit sector and I will be using mine for video conferencing, video editing, artwork, office, file access on my PC and on my down time gaming..(not all my uses are listed just giving general idea) My laptop is a dusty second because the Note Pro has more than enough power and is expandable to a point that I can carry a couple of tiny 64G memory cards with me and never run out of storage.

Thought I would let you know, there is a Zagg keyboard that I have ordered for my Note 12, which snaps on the front of the Note and when you are not using it, it snaps over the front like a shield. When you want to use the keyboard you slide the Note to dock into it *simple* They even have a back-lit model on amazon I did not know about and I will be ordering and returning the other model to Verizon since it is new.

I would have posted a link but the forum wont let me as a new user, however it is easily found at amazon under ZAGG PROfolio Ultrathin Case or zagg Note Pro keyboard

perhaps this will help you decide between a thin laptop and a Note Pro with keyboard..

Good luck either way. :)

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine a week or so after it became available at bb. I posted about how i use it earlier in this thread, basically as a word processor/laptop replacement. I've written many chapters on it since for a nonfiction book. I use a saamsung bluetooth keyboard and the samsung s mouse. I've been working on it at least six hours a day, usually five days a week, i use hancom word. I have run into some occasional annoying problems: the tablet sometimes quits and reboots. Hancom word sometimes quits. I rarely lose anything because i save constantly and hancom keeps the file in memory. But its frustrang when it happens. While hancom is ok and does most of what i need and the files are compatible with my desktop mac and word for Mac, i'd rather have ms word, which is supposed to become available. While writing, i do check email, and do specific research and occasionally i play on it, but i mostly do consumption and entertainment on my 10.1 2014 edition. Both are great tablets. I also have the note 8, and the lg gpad, but the latter now get little use.,

Tshanda

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I am using my Note as a back up for my laptop at work and, as a salesperson, trying to replace a note pad and eventually hoping to go paperless fully. I am sick and tired of all the post its all over my desk and car :)

Beemer2

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I am retired so I use my Note Pro 12.2 for reading and participating in around ten forums. Only one if the ten gives me a problem. This is where adverts are placed in left and rignt columns and the left one always resizes larger after five seconds. The text of the posts then reduces.

A major use for me is to display in portrait mode pdf sheet music. I then turn the pages using a Bluetooth footpedal 'AIR TURN'.

I have had a major failure of WiFi with loss of the wifi symbol. I had to do a factory reset to get it working.

The Samsung Bluetooth mouse (the one for for this tablet) is a terrific tool. I was going to buy the Bluetooth keyboard (again, the model for this tablet) butI'm doing just fine with the in screen one.

Unfortunately Android devices are not good as DAW devices for music production and editing.

Chromecast is good but crashes frequently.

Very frustrating about how the external SD card is limited to folders made by an app and that those folders cannot be moved.

I use the official Samsung case which has a bug. When the flap is turned over and layed flat the tablet sleeps! This is caused by the tablet rear detecting a magnet concealed in the flap (the sensor is only supposed to sense the magnet when the flap is closed). To fix it take a metal paper clip and place it on the inside of the the flap to the right of and level with the camera lens. Move it around and you will soon find the outline of where the magnet is. Cut a 1" square piece of a steel jar lid and Sellotape it to the back of the case so that when the flap folded back the metal piece is between the magnet and the tablet flap sensor.

I bought the USB3 lead so that I can attach my usb flash cards or my USB card reader. I have tried to connect a usb external hard drive formatted exFAT but it was not seen.

So that is my story and so far I am very pleased with the product

RetNavy

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Aerospace quality inspector. I use mine to write my notes while walking through manufacturing floors. Saves me about 4 hours of back fitting hand written notes in the evenings. It's awesome. I just wish I could write to my SD Card without having to root it and lose my warranty.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Ok, what are you using the Note Pro for?

I find that while using a N7, I am still using keyboard and mouse functionality quite a bit even when using for media consumption (visiting websites, viewing forums, movies, etc.). The combination of a smallish screen and an onscreen keyboard is frankly time consuming, making me desire a larger form factor. When using email or participating in forums, a keyboard becomes more of a necessity. As such, am weighing the potential advantages/disadvantages of a separate add-on keyboard with a great tablet vs a laptop. As both options are essentially in the same price range, a decision between the two is appropriate. I don't intend to purchase both simply because I would not carry both.

I do travel with a corporate laptop, so I have to consider bulk of carrying multiple devices. In that case, the N7 shines due to its small size. I honestly don't know how thin a Note Pro plus a case plus a keyboard would be compared to a thin laptop.

A little thinner and the battery lasts longer. Logitech keyboard case and micro Bt mouse (can use it with almost no space)

Posted via the Android Central App