Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: I see No Viable Alternatives

I'd buy the s7 edge tomorrow if they discounted it. Cannot understand paying full price for a phone that is several months old.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: I see No Viable Alternatives

Funny I see all this media talk, but on forums no one is giving up their Note 7. I've had 4 Note 7's pass through my house (I've had originally black, returned for silver, and now a replacement silver, and my wife had one) and none have had issues. There's no other phone that compares and mine is here to stay. Samsung is taking an unfair beating. They've done a stand-up job in my opinion. Plus, they've given away stuff this year like crazy (gear vr, fit watch, as card). When's the last time Apple gave away a free accessory to buyers? Yet the fanboys keep kissing their butts.

And....... Why was my post moved here?

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

I keep thinking about this very question and keep landing in the same place.

1. I am keeping my Note 7 unless there is a recall. I have a Gear VR on the way and it works flawlessly with my other Bluetooth devices, including the GearFit 2. I love the camera, display and build. Both N7s have performed great for me. The thought of it being gone is slightly depressing.

2. If there is a recall and it is determined the phones are not safe, I will go Pixel XL. For me, it seems to be the second best phone.

Here's to hoping this all blows over and the Note 7 goes on to moderate success. I don't want to give mine up.

That's kinda my thinking too...

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

I am sticking with the Note for now, but I admit to wondering what to do if it turns out there are just too many negatives. Nothing else comes close is the problem. I have the idea of a 64 gb Note 5 in the back of my mind, but that is so not enough storage for me. I don't do streaming music, I do my own, and I really need an sd card for it. Not to mention the endless pics and vids of my grandkids, which I do backup to Google photos but often want on the phone, too.

I don't trust LG. I had the old Optimus and it was ok, though not great battery. I still have a functioning LG G3 but it was one of those that got cracks for no reason anyone could tell me, around the microphone. It was terrible on wi-fi connection, and really really bad on call quality.

I would end up wanting to download endless apps to try and make the Pixel more like Samsung. I am spoiled, vanilla android bores the hell out of me. But if it had a really good camera and
128gb, and I could download a lot of apps, maybe. I don't see anything else. The Moto z force didn't interest me when it came out and still doesn't. None of the great cheaper phones, the axon and the one plus or whatever and all those, run on Verizon and that's the only carrier that works here. Oh forget it, I'm just depressing myself.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

No question if it were safe the N7 was the best phone out by a wide margin. I hated the speakers and curves but it was still the best phone available. I will miss the camera.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Hi, OP! I am considering both phones for my upgrade, whenever that happens. I'd watch some unboxing and review videos of both phones on YouTube to help narrow down your decision (Android Authority is a great source for these types of videos). Also, see what happens when these phones get released. Wait a few weeks or even months (I know, that's like saying you can't have ice cream but you REALLY want it and it's sitting right there...), and see if anything spur of the moment or glitch-wise makes you rethink one phone over the other.

Personally, I am leaning more towards Pixel now, as I came to my LG G3 from my Nexus 5 and though I love LG, I miss stock Android.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

I'd recommend waiting until Samsung makes an announcement.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I'd recommend waiting until Samsung makes an announcement.

Agreed.

Since the Pixel won't be out until 10/20 on VZW, the V20 not until after that (reportedly), I can't pull the trigger now. Waiting for Samsung to come forward with a response is easily built into this timeline.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I'd take a V20 over the Pixel. The feature set of the new LG ( including awesome audio and camera) appeals to me more.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I have been seriously considering moving to the Pixel XL (never considered the v20) since the carriers announced they would take exchanges / refunds. I love the Note 7. It's just a bit too much drama, a bit too little comfort level for me, and considering I will need to fly a bit in the next year, and I don't want to have to worry about it.

Pros of the Pixel XL (and the reason I may move to it)
- Fast fast fast. Every hands-on, and early "review" talks about just how fast and optimized everything is.
- Android 7.1 out of the box (cool long press actions, split screen for every app, Doze 2.0, etc)
- Fast updates (if you don't buy through Verizon - and even then you'll have the newest OS faster than other phones, just way slower than unlocked Pixels)
- Google Assistant. I love this tech on Allo, I ordered Google Home and Assistant seems great to me.
- Unlimited Photo and Video storage at full quality on Google Photos

The Pixel XL negatives compared to the Note 7 IMO (the negatives I care about anyway):
- No waterproofing at all
- No Wireless charging (uggh, really? in 2016?)
- Good screen on the Pixel, but not Note 7 quality
- Rear fingerprint sensor (I keep my phone on the desk next to me a lot. I would now have to pick up the phone every single time to unlock it - yeah I know, #FirstWorldProblems :)
- "Pure" Android, or "Google's" Android now. I always found stock Android bland and lacking features compared to TouchWiz. Though the newest OS versions catch up somewhat.
- Unknown camera quality

Of all of these, it's the last one oddly that has me pausing. Some early tests and photos I have seen look very very promising, but no credible (for me) reviews of the camera are out yet. If it turns out to have a great fast camera, I may move to it.

It is the only other phone I am considering at this point ..

Last edited:

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

Very nice info. Lots of good facts. Unfortunately the non expandable memory is a deal breaker and that a shame because if it did have that..... I'd consider it

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Very nice info. Lots of good facts. Unfortunately the non expandable memory is a deal breaker and that a shame because if it did have that..... I'd consider it

Good point. This is not an issue for me, so I didn't list it; They sell a 128GB Pixel XL model. Do you actually need more storage than that? I don't

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
S7 Edge

I'd move to the S7 Edge tomorrow if it had more than 32GB internal memory. Probably going to wait and see the Pixel XL.

Last edited by a moderator:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm actually considering the Axon 7.

Seems like a pretty killer phone for $400.

I'll have to put up with the camera, though. It's not terrible but being a $400 phone, it's obviously not as good as what I'm used to on the Note 7.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

Good point. This is not an issue for me, so I didn't list it; They sell a 128GB Pixel XL model. Do you actually need more storage than that? I don't

Wow... That would be plenty

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I'm actually considering the Axon 7.

Seems like a pretty killer phone for $400.

I'll have to put up with the camera, though. It's not terrible but being a $400 phone, it's obviously not as good as what I'm used to on the Note 7.

I have heard good things about that one as well, and have heard the camera may be a step down, as you alluded to. It is a very good choice at the $400 price point though.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

]

You don't want to go LG. Was a pretty big lg fan, but after the horrendous experience with the G5, i don't trust the quality in their products anymore.
So if a company makes a particular phone model with issues, then all their models will have issues in the future and never be good? Well I guess Samsung phones are doomed forever with that logic.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

So if a company makes a particular phone model with issues, then all their models will have issues in the future and never be good? Well I guess Samsung phones are doomed forever with that logic.

I probably wouldn't buy a G series phone either. However, the V20 looks very promising.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I have heard good things about that one as well, and have heard the camera may be a step down, as you alluded to. It is a very good choice at the $400 price point though.
Yeah, it's pretty killer at that price point.

I'm also considering the HTC 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter