OnePlus 6T with WiFi Dropping Problems

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Heya,
Got the Thunder Purple 6t (unlocked from OnePlus, not from T-Mobile) and I'm having serious wifi issues. It will connect for a moment, then disconnect and that'll be that. Sometimes it'll reconnect after I wake up the screen for a bit, other times it won't. Sometimes if I turn off wifi and then turn it back on it'll reconnect, other times it won't. Other times I completely power cycle the phone.

I did some digging on those internetz and some people were thinking it might have to do with the way the phone manages the battery so that it doesn't drain too quick (I still have 56% of battery after 12+ hours at work... unheard of with my old Nexus 6p), if that's the case, it works.

I would like my wifi to be stable though. Some apps only update when on wifi and I also don't have unlimited data with my provider, so this could get out of control rather quickly.

I've had the problem both at home and at work. It sometimes drops off even when the phone is one and being used, so it isn't directly tied to it going to sleep either. I've rebooted my modem and router at home, but not at work.

Anyone else have these connectivity issues?

Other than this, I'm really liking the gestures and OS. It's a nice little phone

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Check you settings in wifi it my be set to best connection if your wifi network is not as good as your mobile your phone will set to mobile....check your wifi settings on you phone almost positive its that

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I've played with all of those with no luck, so I am now trying battery settings.
Adaptive Battery might be the culprit. I'll keep tinkering. I wish I didn't have work during the day so I could really dig into this. I'm enjoying learning about the phone and settings through this though.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I've had the Thunder Purple direct from OnePlus for about 24 hours and haven't seen any wifi drops. Good luck tracking down the answer.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
The battery is definitely not the solution. It's weird when it drops because it loses all wifi signals. It doesn't pick up anything in the surrounding area. It's not simply disconnected from a signal, it sees no signals. I'll try safe mode and factory reset and see what happens

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Also FWIW I have not had a single WiFi connectivity issue with my 6T. Ordered unlocked from OnePlus and have been using it as my daily driver for the last 8 days. Perhaps try and initiate an exchange or RMA if nothing works?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
The battery is definitely not the solution. It's weird when it drops because it loses all wifi signals. It doesn't pick up anything in the surrounding area. It's not simply disconnected from a signal, it sees no signals. I'll try safe mode and factory reset and see what happens

That sounds like a hardware problem. If it continues after a factory reset you should probably RMA a replacement or refund.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
It's looking like the factory reset may have fixed it. Am definitely nervous about jinxing this, but I am going to slowly add on apps one at a time and hope for the best. Not seeing any drops in the past 10 minutes though, which is actually a large amount of time without a drop of the wireless or data connection...

[edit: nope! spoke too soon! was doing okay but definitely started acting up again. didn't even install a single additional app. was just tweaking settings and signing into some services... meh]

Last edited:

danielcarroll

Jan 31, 2019
Visit site
I went into battery settings > battery optimization > options (three dots in the corner) > advanced optimization and then turned off "Sleep standby optimization." seems to have solved the problem on my end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid