Only 2.0 audio with most apps on Android TV via ARC (Dennon AVR-X2200W)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My technical ability is fairly high (I work in IT), and yet I can't figure out why most apps are only 2.0 on my Sony Android TV.

Netflix works as expected. Programming listed as 5.1 uses all 6 channels.

However, so far, I've noticed at least YouTube and Kodi, and presumably many more apps are stereo only.

In Kodi I will attempt to play a stream from my HDHR Prime, which I know is 5.1 (it says so right on the channel info), and I've made sure Kodi's audio settings are set to Dolby and 5.1 wherever pertinent, but I only get 2.0.

In youtube I'll look for any one of many Dolby/Surround Sound test videos, but none work.

Because this is HDMI (ARC) the only thing that makes sense is that the TV sends the wrong EDID to the stereo most of the time. On the LCD display of the receiver I can see what it's getting. Also, there's an LED on the subwoofer that lights up when it's in use.

I've looked through all the settings, and I can't find anything. I know this used to work, because in the past when I'd had issues with multichannel audio and other sources I would check on the TV to make sure it wasn't a problem with my setup (not necessarily netflix).

Sony's support is totally useless (reason enough not to buy their products). Within a minute of the phone call they are trying to blame me, telling me that the problem is that no sources except on netflix are really 5.1. When they realize that I'm not that dumb, they put me on hold to Google search, and come back asking the same questions that I just answered.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz