Only downloaded music plays

k72

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I dragged all my music from my computer to my SD card in the phone. Some albums have artwork and play fine. The rest do not have artwork and give an error saying they can't be played. It seems that the ones that do play are those that were bought online (from Amazon, Xbox music, play music) and downloaded, while the ones that don't play are cds I own and have put on my hard drive to use on my computer and phone. How can I listen to my music?

TexMexDroid

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I dragged all my music from my computer to my SD card in the phone. Some albums have artwork and play fine. The rest do not have artwork and give an error saying they can't be played. It seems that the ones that do play are those that were bought online (from Amazon, Xbox music, play music) and downloaded, while the ones that don't play are cds I own and have put on my hard drive to use on my computer and phone. How can I listen to my music?

Have you tried a 3rd party music app? As B. Diddy said, it may be a format issue. If they were ripped to WMA, give doubleTwist CloudPlayer a try as it supports that and several other funky formats. Search for "CloudPlayer" in the Play Store. You may need to point it to your local music directory if the files are not auto-detected by using the "Scan Local Folder" option in the Settings.

Note: I'm part of the CloudPlayer dev team, so if you have any questions let me know. There are other 3rd party apps that support WMA, but the basic version of CloudPlayer is free and should work just fine.

slepr

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
TeMexDroid, are you still a part of the Cloud player team? I bought Cloud player premium and it only plays a few seconds of some songs and most other songs don't play at all. The music is on my Onedrive storage. Using a Oneplus 6 and just moved over from Windows 10M. So far music collection playback has been unsuccessful on Android, whereas it worked without issues on Windows 10M.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
slepr, Windows includes apps that play all sorts of formats that most Android phones don't (not because Android is "bad" for not including them - some formats are proprietary, and Microsoft won't allow anyone to sell a program that can handle their format - selling a phone with the app installed is selling the app, legally).

However you're getting the music, try to get it in .mp3 format - Android handles that. If it's a different format, say .aac, just Google android aac and you'll find apps that play that format. (Do it for any format you need.) About the only "format" there's no player for is DRM-protected music, and playing it on a device other than the one you purchased it to play on is a violation of a couple of laws, unless you live where laws don't matter. (In other words, if you have a CD with DRM-protected music, you can only play it by playing the CD. There's nothing preventing you from connecting a CD or DVD drive to the phone with an OTG cable and playing it that way, but ripping the music will produce an unplayable mess.)

But for normal files, like .aac, .ogg, etc. (normal but they won't play in your phone), even if the phone has no native player for the format, there are players you can install that will play them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnetteConnor