Oreo: Is this delay normal?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Was there a big reveal and then eventually the release?

The thing is it has varied in the past. But lately there has been a couple months between the announcment and release. The release usually happens after the next device is announced, but not long after.

bonnie100th

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Available for download now. The wait is over, this is an OTA available download. So Verizon got theirs because Google gets ready for the OTA download for the rest of us.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Months? On Nexus devices?

By the by I just got the OTA. :D

Well, I was more going by announcement of what the new OS would have, versus the actual release of the OS. Usually the new OS (without the name) is announced during Google I/O in May/June. Release happens around November.

Edit: I just checked on my Pixel, and I am downloading it now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Pixel because I was told I was getting Android directly from Google as they were released. Lo and behold Oreo gets released last week and still no OTA update a week later.

I know I know I could just get into the beta program and get it today but that's not the point of my post. I'm talking about OTA.

Getting the updates directly from Google when they're released I honestly and maybe naively thought I was getting it on the same day like the iPhone. But now we have to wait for carrier testing (which is always pretty slow because carriers are crap) and all we're being told by Google is 'soon' which honestly means nothing. I was a Motorola user and my Moto X Play was supposed to get Nougat 'soon' a year ago and it's still not available.

Is this delay normal? User of Nexus phones, how long approximately did you usually have to wait for new versions of Android?

Join the Android O beta program at https://www.google.com/android/beta

Within a few minutes (typically) you will find a notification on your phone about a system update available. Since the beta is over, you will then get the Android O released version.

I just updated two 5X's that way.

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
20 days? Who's your carrier? I get them usually 5 days after the beginning of the month.

I'm in a different country but I did buy my phone in the US... Well from the Google store... I thought updates would be directly from Google... If it is... I'm assuming he sends the update to the US first before sending to other regions..

In other note, I just check manually for updates, and I can upgrade to Oreo.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm in a different country but I did buy my phone in the US... Well from the Google store... I thought updates would be directly from Google... If it is... I'm assuming he sends the update to the US first before sending to other regions..

In other note, I just check manually for updates, and I can upgrade to Oreo.

Yes I got it since I started this thread. It's been a week now and I love it. :)