Otterbox is here!

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Got the Droid X with an extended battery on the way from Verizon. I talked to a rep at Otterbox and he says that their cases are not designed for the extended battery.

Does anybody here have any experience with the Commuter or the Impact on a DX from Verizon?

The Commuter & Impact are listed on the Otterbox website that they will work with the Verizon extended battery (the one you are probably getting), the Defender is listed that it won't, but other people in this thread have said it does fit.

I don't have any experience with the Commuter yet, but will soon because it should be here today or tomorrow. The Defender was to bulky looking for me & people have said that it is hard to get in & out of a pocket because of the material it is made from.

Reactions: mrseak

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
How secure does the holster seem to hold the phone? I remember the defender rig for the Storm 2 was an awful design. If you lightly bumped anything, the phone would fall out.

hurld

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Seidio rugged holster will work with the Otterbox defender case.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

heelsbigc#AC

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Seidio rugged holster will work with the Otterbox defender case.

Just tried it and it fits great. There is the tinniest bit of side to side movement as the defender isn't as wide as the rugged, but it fits securely in the holster.

hurld

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I have the Seidio rugged and am thinking about getting the Otterbox, but don't like the looks of the holster. Which do you feel gives the best protection?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
How secure does the holster seem to hold the phone? I remember the defender rig for the Storm 2 was an awful design. If you lightly bumped anything, the phone would fall out.

It's much better than the old design and holds well - but it is slightly funky to get used too.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I got the Sedio Rugged case Black/Burgundy which for some reason SeidioOnline says is coming soon, yet I got mine from Amazon.com.

I have had Otterbox in the past and really liked their cases, I just needed something right now and could not wait for them to get it out the door. I also never got the email about it arriving in stock even though I signed up with them.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I also never got the email about it arriving in stock even though I signed up with them.

I thought I hadn't either and I found out they were available from someone posting on this forum, but when I checked...it was in my spam folder.

Otterbox no doubt loses a lot of orders to Seidio by taking so long to release cases to all Android phones. They put so much priority on the iPhone cases, but oh well....maybe they haven't seen the reports that Android is very rapidly taking over the market. :cool:

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I got both my Otterbox Commuter & extended battery yesterday. The case fits on perfectly with the new battery. I am very happy with both purchases!

This is the only case I will ever need.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Will the Otterbox Commuter work with the GPS dock?

I don't know, I doubt it because from what I have read, it seems that none of the docks work with any case.

I haven't gotten it yet, but I plan on getting a universal dock from Arkon that is adjustable so it will work for my DX and my wife's D2.

Special K

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
New to the Forum and looking for a good case for my X. Heard good things about Otterbox so have been reading the reviews and i think for my needs, the Commuter looks to be a good option as i like to carry the X in my front pocket. Only thing i'm wondering is, for those of you that have the Commuter case and carry in the front pocket, does the raised cover over the power button on the top ever get pushed to on while in your pocket? If so, i think this will affect battery life if it keeps turning off and on in your pocket. It will still be locked but will still turn on for a minute or so until it goes to sleep again.

Anyways, just wondering if this is an issue i should be concerned with. Thanks.

RTR13

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ordered my commuter a few days ago, arrived yesterday- lighting fast ship!! After 24 hours, my only complaint is the buttons @ bottom> how in the world if U R in the dark can U see what you are pressing?? Overall, great case... just wish there was someway to "shed some light" on the situation.

77Pat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Received the Otterbox Commuter on Friday after ordering it earlier in the week. This is the only case I have used for a phone (had a moto e815 and a moto w385 and did not feel they needed a case). This phone is very solid, but with it being so expensive I want to protect it.

This case seems to give good protection without being bulky. The silicone does attract some lint, but it is not too bad. Installation was easy for both the screen protector and the case. A few dust particles settled under the screen protector, but they are not noticeable during use. I have confidence that if the phone is dropped it will not be damaged.

The only downside is that the light from the bottom keys does not show through. Some people will find that as an advantage though.
Also the flap for the mini hdmi and micro usb port does not lay completely flush. Not a big deal, but adds a little bulk.

I was choosing between the commuter, active x, and incipio. I believe I made a good choice, especially for $28 shipped.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what is better, OtterBox Commuter or Defender?
It just depends on your preference/needs. Defender offers the best protection but adds the most bulk and comes with a beltclip. Commuter offers slightly less protection, less bulk, and is easily slides in & out of a pocket. You can't go wrong with either one.

Since I work in an office, am careful with my phone, & carry it in my pocket, it was a no-brainer. If you work outside, are rough on your phone, or use a beltclip to carry your phone it should be an easy choice for you too.

ParadigmUSA

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I placed an order for the Impact case earlier today. Never did care for the Defender I had for my BB Tour and switched to the Impact case for that, so hoping the DX Impact case will be what I am looking for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordNikonX