OUYA > Nexus Q?

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
*** Posted this in XDA's Nexus Q forum as well, just wanted to cover my bases and post here as well ***

So with the recent intro of the OUYA, I'm wondering what would prevent it from getting hacked, running CM9, and essentially serving as a Nexus Q replacement with better specs for a cheaper price?

Maybe its lack of Android Beam, although if I understand Beam correctly, it uses Bluetooth so maybe a workaround could be created?

Thanks for any info, y'all.

fritolay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The hardware is not the same. With Android the potential is there to do many things with the hardware once you have full root access. Therefore you could say the same about other devices as well with your comparison.

objbuilder

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
The Ouya can't power speakers and doesn't have bluetooth. There's definitely some overlap and both are great additions to the android community. (hopefully, haha)

91_z28_4me

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The Ouya can't power speakers and doesn't have bluetooth. There's definitely some overlap and both are great additions to the android community. (hopefully, haha)

With the extra cashflow infusion from Kickstarter they could decide to include BT if they wanted. They have plenty of time, and apparently money.

thesmart1

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Ouya does has Bluetooth LE 4.0, read the kickstarter page, and you can output sound through hdmi (;
I'm excited to see someone port the app and get it fully working as a Q, would make the cool cheap console awesome :D

mixmastrzzz

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
In my personal opinion I think the nexus Q should have been the ouya but still have its media connected I find it ridiculous it only streams various google media for 299 If google was smart they would have acted on the ouya concept months ago.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The Q has one advantage being that it's the only one that's an actual product ;) (atm).

As with phones (if you're a tinkerer) it will depend on what device gets the most dev support/interest.

I still hope the Rasberry Pi gains in popularity - it's rather capable and and a lower barrier of entry if it's something that's not going to be desirable out of the box.

Last edited:

l00natic71

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I would think that "the Ouya hasn't shipped yet" should be considered. So.. it's all speculation for now. Once people have it in their hands, then it becomes a conversation. I think we have seen solid hardware hampered by crappy software. Until someone gets their hands on the hardware and runs it through it's paces, it's all speculation.

mixmastrzzz

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
All true the OUYA can not be compared for it is not publicly released. Atleast it has potential the only true potential in Nexus Q is when it's rooted. I feel as though the hardware for the Q is there It's the software that's killing it.

l00natic71

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
In the US, we can buy a Nexus Q now and have it in our hands withing two weeks. When can we have an OUYA in our hands? It may be the next things since sliced bread. However, we can't have it for who knows how long. For $100, what it's promised is absolutely awesome. At that price, I"ll by 4, one for each space in my house. Finally, whole house streaming and media players on a budget.

photopaul

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I almost dropped a Ben to Ouya's Kickstarter until I saw they shattered records. Since they aren't offer donors a significant discount, just early access, I'm going to wait.
In the meantime, I'm considering picking up a Vizio Co Star, but I want to see the hardware specs on it first (and I'm not reassured by the fact that they haven't released those specs or even annouced a ship date). If it's decent hardware and devs can root it, it'll be a no-brainer at it's price.

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I almost dropped a Ben to Ouya's Kickstarter until I saw they shattered records. Since they aren't offer donors a significant discount, just early access, I'm going to wait.
In the meantime, I'm considering picking up a Vizio Co Star, but I want to see the hardware specs on it first (and I'm not reassured by the fact that they haven't released those specs or even annouced a ship date). If it's decent hardware and devs can root it, it'll be a no-brainer at it's price.

this is why I've got my eye on the new sony gtv. they've been really open and welcoming to the root community, and I think we'll see that one cracked open more than any other. I'll go for a box that's rooted over one that's not any day of the week, no matter what the spec comparison is.

mixmastrzzz

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have great hopes for the Ouya along with the Nexus Q as well and for the sony gtv it was recently discovered that google music is not compatible which would be a problem for me because google music is my music streaming service of preference, but once updated I think sony's offerings could be the best one yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante