Panda Poem through Tom @tfleming223

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I could care less about a keyboard. But if both a slab and a keyboardless version go to Verizon, that would be pretty awesome.

Sent from my ADR6400L

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Well If the Verizon device is going to be LTE it would be thicker than the others anyway, so why not put a keyboard on too. All the OG Droid faithful will be coming off contract about then so why not offer them a worthy successor.

I think it'd be a question of whether the keyboard adds even more thickness, not just, if it's already thick go ahead and add a keyboard. Also, people who bought the OG Droid should have already been eligible, if they bought them soon after release. But, I agree, it would probably be the same people who'd really like a keyboard-ed Nexus.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Well If the Verizon device is going to be LTE it would be thicker than the others anyway, so why not put a keyboard on too. All the OG Droid faithful will be coming off contract about then so why not offer them a worthy successor.

I have a OG Droid. I don't use the keyboard. Most people don't use keyboards anymore. There are people who don't mind, but this loses it's "flagship status" if it's rocking a keyboard.

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I pray that the Verizon doesn't slap a keyboard on there.... I dont want to have to fricken slide open my phone every time i want to type something. Yes I know there is also a software keyboard but whats the point of having a keyboard if you only use it sometimes? Just more bulk.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if I believe this poem now that he has finished. Before I was but I thought the entire purpose of ICS was to move towards a button less phone... even though a keyboard doesn't count as buttons, one would guess there will be some shortcuts on the keyboard for use on the phone... just doesn't add up to me..

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I pray that the Verizon doesn't slap a keyboard on there.... I dont want to have to fricken slide open my phone every time i want to type something. Yes I know there is also a software keyboard but whats the point of having a keyboard if you only use it sometimes? Just more bulk.

I would guess that one would use the physical keyboard for relatively long messages and emails, but for quick text messages and such, one would use the virtual keyboard. That's how I suspect I'd use it, although I suspect your question may have been more rhetorical in nature. ;)

As a side note, it's interesting that so many people are on one side or the other as far as having a physical keyboard. It seems there's not a whole lot of people who are in the middle.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem with more choices, but many of us were waiting for the GS2. If VZW passed on the GS2 to give us a beefed up Samsung Stratosphere it will be another slap in the face of their customers.

Oh God haha...I kinda hope it's not just a Stratosphere with stock ICS...man is that thing long in the tooth. Yes, I'm considering it but mainly out of desperation for a nice keyboard device...it happens to check off my list of requirements a bit better than D3 does, but I'd rather have something a bit more future proof.

A device with Nexus Prime internals with a great keyboard would be amazing.

I really hope it's not that Samsung AT&T slider...that keyboard didn't look too nice :/

scotty_pimmpen

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Its not a keyboard that makes it not a Nexus. It would be Verizons insistence on having their bloatware on it. Also why did you mention your droid in relation to this since your droid is not a Nexus?

Someone said that "Most people don't use keyboards anymore". It was in response to that. Many other people were commenting that a keyboard make it not a Nexus. See..

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-prime/119617-panda-poem-through-tom-tfleming223-13.html
"A "Nexus" device is not a keyboard phone."

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Im hoping for 2 options on every carrier, one with and without keyboard.

Verizon obviously Droid branded it, and the others will call it a nexus.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Its not a keyboard that makes it not a Nexus. It would be Verizons insistence on having their bloatware on it. Also why did you mention your droid in relation to this since your droid is not a Nexus?

I think he was saying that because next to the original G1, the OG Droid was notable for being pretty much co-developed with Google. They had a say in much of the decisions that were made with it from a software (only the Amazon MP3 store was on there out of the box...probably a decision to fight iOS which had a built in music store) and hardware perspective.

While it's not "really" a Nexus by today's standards, It came pretty damn close in terms of spirit IMO.

As far as using the keyboard goes, I use the one (2nd version so it has bubbly keys instead of being all flat) on my OG Droid pretty much 90% of the time. I just hate the compromises that come with using on screen...I feel slower typing stuff out, the auto correct is still iffy, plus I hate that it takes up my viewable screen real estate, especially in landscape.

Last edited:

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Heathatvoiceagain makes a good point. If Verizon gets the prime and brands it a droid instead of a Nexus, then they can put there bloatware on it. Compared to the Nexus that, like the iPhone, would be untouched.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have an OG. I had the Bionic for a week, and I didn't miss the keyboard... except for using the game-gripper to play Nesoid.

I don't want a keyboard on my next phone. Too bulky, and I hate how it slides open partially in the pocket. Ocassionally I turn off my screen timeout, and it seems like it's these times that the keyboard slides open a little in my pocket... and I my phone is on 50% battery the next time I pull it out.

If it does have a keyboard, I'll have to play with it in the store first before committing to buying it. I would just rather it didn't have one at all, however. As long as I can use Wiimote to play my emulators.

Sigh.

*customized tapatalk signature*

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I dont care what its called... Droid Prime, Nexus Prime, iPhone Prime, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime... name is just a name. All I care is if its a halo device with the latest software and (hopfully) a unlockable bootloader.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Heathatvoiceagain makes a good point. If Verizon gets the prime and brands it a droid instead of a Nexus, then they can put there bloatware on it. Compared to the Nexus that, like the iPhone, would be untouched.

True and I hope it's not much given this phone's somewhat special status. Verizon technically "got" the Nexus One w/ the Incredible and it came lousy with bloatware. Kinda wish that they would have kept that limited to no bloatware philosophy that Google forced them to have with the OG Droid.

At least make some of it uninstallable (I think they let you remove Let's Golf 2 now...but why not the rest?)

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, first thing I did this morning was read the new twitter update. I just about crapped my pants full of disappointment. I seriously hope this phone does not have a physical keyboard. Buying this phone with a physical keyboard would be like marrying a super model with incredibly screwed up teeth. I want something slick, not old-school like. If this thing turns out to be 4.65 inches like some rumors say it is, then I just couldn't imagine a physical slide out keyboard on it. It for sure would take away from the flagship status of this phone. Aren't we suppose to be moving forward with technology? To me, adding a keyboard to such a device is a step backwards. Im still on the OG, been on it since its release. In all the years I've had it, I think I've used the keyboard maybe twice.

I hope there is no keyboard. I've waited this long to upgrade and if this thing comes with keys then maybe I can wait just a bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak