[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried using the BACKside Updater utility to flash back the original stock recovery image. I then renamed the OP's zip to "update.zip" and tried to install it. But it errors out with an invalid signature. And as this is the stock recovery, I can't easily disable that. If anyone was wondering...

I wouldn't expect anything different

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
This made a big improvement in my 3G speeds. But to be fair, I was getting terrible speeds before. Around 130-150kbps and now I just ran speedtest and got 296kbps down and 255kbps up. So that roughly doubled for me. But I also hit the 2.5gb cap over a week ago. Only takes me a day or two. Thanks everyone of you people for all you do.

Thanks for reporting this. No reason to bother with that "shortcut" then.

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

I've read all the recent pages and have a pretty good understanding of the process needed to get the radio update to stick however I could use some clarification on the GorditaRoot process. Below is the link I am using.

Gordita Root: Optimus V exploit March 24th 2012 - xda-developers

The main part I am unsure of is where / how do you enter the code into your phone? Can you download a terminal emulator and use it without the phone being rooted? If that is the case which do I use? Also I assume I can skip entering the echo lines in the script if I am typing the lines in manually?

Thanks in advanced to everyone evolved!

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I've read all the recent pages and have a pretty good understanding of the process needed to get the radio update to stick however I could use some clarification on the GorditaRoot process. Below is the link I am using.

Gordita Root: Optimus V exploit March 24th 2012 - xda-developers

The main part I am unsure of is where / how do you enter the code into your phone? Can you download a terminal emulator and use it without the phone being rooted? If that is the case which do I use? Also I assume I can skip entering the echo lines in the script if I am typing the lines in manually?

Thanks in advanced to everyone evolved!

Look herehttp://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=163365
It's done useing adb

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

gunson

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Thanks again everyone! It worked woohooo

BTW I am getting an extra bar and my speed tests seem to be faster. Tomorrow I'll call someone and let everyone know if the voice sounds better. (I have one of the older OVs )

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Finally did the full process, now verified running zv9. My 3G speed is actually slower now, calls seem okay. I'm not really worried about the 3G though, I spend too much time on WiFi. Also, I live in a notoriously bad reception area.

Sent from the BACKside of Tapatalk

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
For me I don't see much difference... I ran speedtest.net on mine with zv9 and my wife's with zv4 an the results were both similar. I ran it Multiple times and
Sometimes zv9 on top other times zv4. ZV9 might have a slight edge but it's no miracle worker.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Out of bravery (stupidity) I renamed the vm9 file to update.zip and tried using Bob's recovery to "install update.zip from sdcard" it still didn't work. It was worth a try

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

so my phone says something like v5? That means it didn't work? I just did the flash radio update thing not the VM update.:confused:

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
So I flashed the radio update an now it says "unknown" under baseband version.. and I don't remember what it said before if it even said anythin lol.. I'm gettin wayyy better battery life tho an calls sound good too. And better signal, even got bars in places where I didn't before..

Cincy Dad

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

So I flashed the radio update an now it says "unknown" under baseband version.. and I don't remember what it said before if it even said anythin lol.. I'm gettin wayyy better battery life tho an calls sound good too. And better signal, even got bars in places where I didn't before..

If your getting a signal in places you didn't before, that means the radio flash worked.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

So, just to clarify before I do this, a nandroid will back up my SD card too, right? Or will I have to do that part myself?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Note- Even with a one-click method, you will still need to have ADB enabled.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I can't seem to find the link to download the full update ZIP, not the one with just the radio in the OP. Halp? lol. :confused:

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Note- Even with a one-click method, you will still need to have ADB enabled.

do you mean checking that box in the phone settings? I could do that - it's just using my computer to do stuff to my phone that is hard for me... stupid windows

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to find the link to download the full update ZIP, not the one with just the radio in the OP. Halp? lol. :confused:
VMFreeMsg A security patch is available for ur phone. Go to virginmobileusa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5662 for info & instructions on how to download

Edit: Tried many times to edit the above to post a clean link. Couldn't. Few things in this world I hate as much as Swype :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjustink1984