Phone and voicemail app.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't like the Google Phone app, it takes two clicks to see a contact's call history.

One click to click on the line item, another click to click on "show history".

The Samsung phone app that I had could do this in one click.

I have spent the entire day trying a lot of phone and dialer apps.

Most of them have ads, which is a no go.

Easy Phone: Dialer & Caller ID by LSM Apps didn't have ads. But it couldn't understand my call history beyond a few days. It just showed them as unknown callers. Or just by their phone numbers.

They did have one one click history.

Right Dialer by Goodwy looked great. No ads. But if I scrolled past a certain point in the call logs, it crashed.

I've tried 10-15 others, most had ads.

There was something I didn't like about Simple Dialer, I forgot what now.

I've also tried a few voicemail apps. Couldn't find a good one. Voxist seemed promising, but it had a weird generated greeting.

Maybe there's a way to generate another greeting, or I could read one. But I uninstalled it.

Plus I figure I should try to find a phone app I like first, as it may come with a voicemail app.

AT&T Visual Voicemail: It says my PIN doesn't work.

If I dial my own number, I'm entering the same PIN that I do then, that I did on the AT&T Visual Voicemail app.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's why I prefer pixels, the pixel phone app is in a league of it's own when it comes to automatically detecting/screening calls with the Google Assistant, and not even allowing spam callers to ring through unless they answer some valid questions. It's a godsend for taking care of spam/robocalls without you having to lift a finger. Plus it's extremely accurate at labeling spam, which makes it super easy to block and report. And the VVM transcription is awesome.

Spam calls are a thing of the past on my pixels, only phone I can truly say that about ;)

It's so much fun to shut down spammers so easily.. it almost feels like cheating lol.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
That's why I prefer pixels, the pixel phone app is in a league of it's own when it comes to automatically detecting/screening calls with the Google Assistant, and not even allowing spam callers to ring through unless they answer some valid questions. It's a godsend for taking care of spam/robocalls without you having to lift a finger. Plus it's extremely accurate at labeling spam, which makes it super easy to block and report. And the VVM transcription is awesome.

Spam calls are a thing of the past on my pixels, only phone I can truly say that about ;)

It's so much fun to shut down spammers so easily.. it almost feels like cheating lol.

Is the pixel phone app only available on a pixel?

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Yep, it's a pixel exclusive. I sure wish I could get it on my Flip :-\

How is it at showing call history?

My main complaint about the Google phone app, compared to the Samsung, is that with the Samsung, if I clicked on an item in the recent calls list, it would take me to the log history of that contact in only one click. I liked that. It also had swipe dialing, where I could swipe on a contact and it would dial.

With the Google phone app, when I click on a contact, there's then a pop up with 3 options. I then have to make a 2nd click for "history". This is less efficient.

A nice to have that the Samsung also did, was that it also integrated SMS history with that contact. So a line item could either be a call log history item, or a SMS item history.

I tried all of the ad-free phone apps or dialer apps. A few either crashed when I scrolled on the call history, or improperly labeled the history by not associating it with a contact. So while they did have 1-click history like the Samsung, crashing is worse.

There was one that even integrated SMS history and WhatsApp history with that contact. But there was something else wrong with it, I forgot what now. Maybe it was one of the ones that crashed.

A phone, and voicemail app, should be ad and in-app purchase ad free, IMO.

Do you use both a Samsung Flip and a Google Pixel?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
How is it at showing call history?

My main complaint about the Google phone app, compared to the Samsung, is that with the Samsung, if I clicked on an item in the recent calls list, it would take me to the log history of that contact in only one click. I liked that. It also had swipe dialing, where I could swipe on a contact and it would dial.

With the Google phone app, when I click on a contact, there's then a pop up with 3 options. I then have to make a 2nd click for "history". This is less efficient.

A nice to have that the Samsung also did, was that it also integrated SMS history with that contact. So a line item could either be a call log history item, or a SMS item history.

I tried all of the ad-free phone apps or dialer apps. A few either crashed when I scrolled on the call history, or improperly labeled the history by not associating it with a contact. So while they did have 1-click history like the Samsung, crashing is worse.

There was one that even integrated SMS history and WhatsApp history with that contact. But there was something else wrong with it, I forgot what now. Maybe it was one of the ones that crashed.

A phone, and voicemail app, should be ad and in-app purchase ad free, IMO.

Do you use both a Samsung Flip and a Google Pixel?

Yep I do use both, but I use a pixel the majority of the time. And a big part of the reason is the pixel phone app, I'm just not happy with anything else anymore lol.

priceless819

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I personally use XPhone as my dialer. it's free in the shop, there are ads, but if you set up private DNS the ads go away. It has call blocking as well as call recording. The only thing is that if you store your numbers without the 1 for example 718 555 5555 it might pick up the number as a foreign number, but it has a flag next to it to say what country it thinks it is, but if you store your numbers 1 (718) 555 5555 it will pick it up correctly. I personally like it, especially coming from Samsung.