Phone boots into ODIN mode - Help please (not trying to root)

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, my wife went to church today and when she came home her phone is booting into ODIN mode. Any ideas? I didn't know it was possible to randomly do that. I asked her if anyone had access to her phone. She says it was in her purse all day. It apparently went in working, came out with an android symbol and saying "Downloading - Please wait".

Any ideas?

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
If she or anyone else were not attempting to boot the phone, she must not have had the screen locked when it was in her purse. That said the phones power button bumped something and something else bumped the context menu that comes up and selected restart. Next something had to be compressing two keys (the home and down volume keys) at the same time as the power button to get into download mode. Sounds a bit far fetched if not rooted wth a utility installed that allows booting into download mode directly...

Anyway to get out of download mode, pull the battery, wait 5s, re-insert the battery and then power up the phone. If it comes back in download mode something else is wrong. Please report back.

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll try that, thanks. I asked her repeatedly if anyone had her phone today for that very reason. It seems far fetched to me to.

Let me see if pulling the battery works.

EDIT: No, pulling the battery doesn't work. She wants to take it to the AT&T store. I told her not to be surprised if they give her **** about it. Note that neither her phone or mine is rooted. I asked her again if the phone was out of her sight today...she says no. She says "something happened", she thought it powered down so she charged it up at church (she teaches a class there on Sundays). She says she may have been holding the with the volume keys pressed while turning it on. For some reason, she started pressing other buttons "to get it to come back on". Your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly happened. She cannot explain what was happening in such a manner that I can even guess what was on the screen, or what the phone was doing when all this happened. If she wasn't my wife, I'd be saying "B.S.".

I guess she'll take it to AT&T and see what they have say about it. I'm not exactly expecting too much from them.

Last edited:

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Even a bad rooting experience will not do this. I have had several devices and done all kinds of playing. If you get stuck a battery pull should do it for something like this.

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It must be the phone then..... Pulling battery does nothing. It goes right back into boot mode.

Update: AT&T is replacing the phone. Thanks for the comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

iTippy

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you missing the OS? After a bad root I wiped ICS and interrupted the update because of a power outage. It came on every time after that until I reflashed the firmware.

SetsumaThunders

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to my phone! I did nothing to prompt it to do that I don't even know why it did that. Last time I had looked at it it was shutting down because the battery was dead. About an hour later I felt it getting warm in the car seat with me and it was in "ODIN mode." Waiting for a battery to charge on the charger (my charging port is broken.) I hope it's not just totally messed up :(

IMyrseli

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Phone boots into ODIN mode - Help please

I cant turn on my phone because it restarts himself everytime, i pushed volume and power key at the same time and im downloading something in odin mode, how much time does it takes? :confused:

Karix Jaber

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

hello i have samsung galaxy wonder. i got to the recovery menu because my phone was not booting so i pressed on wipe data/factory reset.and now my phone doesn't boot, it is stuck on samsung galaxy wonder GT-I8150. then i tried to install gingerbread software from the odin mode but my phone always get into the download mode and i can not do anything.please i need a solution.

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

As I mentioned, this was my wife's phone and AT&T replaced the phone. I'm pretty sure it was user error.

IMyrseli - If it's in ODIN mode, it's waiting for a download....it's not actually downloading anything. Hopefully you've already resolved the issue.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I cant turn on my phone because it restarts himself everytime, i pushed volume and power key at the same time and im downloading something in odin mode, how much time does it takes? :confused:

If you're not connected to Odin on a PC, you're not really downloading anything. It's just sitting there waiting for a download to start. You can get out of it by pulling the battery.

What are you trying to do?

gabby angus

May 6, 2013
Visit site
My phone went into odin mode, and i left it for a
couple of mins and then held down the home button
and the power button together. It did the trick as i am typing
this on my phone. Pulling out the battery wont help for odin mode a
as the download stays on the screen. Basically, the phone is
waiting for a reboot

Krishan D

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, my wife went to church today and when she came home her phone is booting into ODIN mode. Any ideas? I didn't know it was possible to randomly do that. I asked her if anyone had access to her phone. She says it was in her purse all day. It apparently went in working, came out with an android symbol and saying "Downloading - Please wait".

Any ideas?

Krishan D

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I happened same thing my volume button always been pressed down then phone always on safe mood, it not tooted .I tried to wipe data factory reset .but it going to downloading mood

Help me plz

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I happened same thing my volume button always been pressed down then phone always on safe mood
You're going to have to solve the problem of your Volume Down button being stuck. If you have a case on the phone you should try removing it.
If there's no case, try taking the phone apart (you can find teardown instructions online) and making sure that nothing is jamming the button down.
At worst you can replace the Volume Rocker (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-volume-button-repair/)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

bizymare

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung S4, Verizon SH-1545. I was at my daughter's very chilly (47 degrees) softball game and was using my phone normally. I put it in the cup holder of my chair to get up and take photos with my camera. When I came back, I could see through the netting of the cup holder it was in the Odin mode, trying to boot but nothing was happening. I'm not a developer but I am not a hack when it comes to gadgets, either. No one was near the phone, I didn't touch it. It spontaneously went to Odin.

I didn't do anything to it under I could get to the internet to figure out what was going on. I turned off the phone and it rebooted by itself, working normally. Did it damage anything? Everything seems to be intact. Could the cold temperature have something to do with it?

TIA.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I turned off the phone and it rebooted by itself, working normally. Did it damage anything? Everything seems to be intact. Could the cold temperature have something to do with it?
It's unusual for the device to boot into Download mode on its own. I doubt that it being 47° would have caused the behavior that you describe; I'd think that it would have to be much colder to affect operation.

Since it's behaving normally after a restart I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Tom Sannino

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a galaxy s3 mini and i cant hard reset. When i try it goes into odin mode and tries to download. I have never used or tried odin. I unlocked it from att thinking that would help. ... wrong. Someone please help a hard reset is nessacary at the moment. What can i do

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1