Phone on or off when charging?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Which is better? If I charge it while it is on it takes longer. With it off it will charge slower. I really have no idea if it is better for prolonging the battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying it charges slow whether on or off? I always charge my devices while they're on so I don't miss any notifications.

General tips for increasing lithium ion battery longevity include not overcharging unnecessarily and not constantly draining the battery til the phone shuts off. OTH, some say it's good to fully drain the battery once every few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Either way is fine. It *should* pull the same juice on and off, it just takes longer while on because some of that juice is powering the phone. I almost always leave my phone on while it charges overnight.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Which is better? If I charge it while it is on it takes longer. With it off it will charge slower. I really have no idea if it is better for prolonging the battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you are charging on AC you should hardly notice a difference.

Never mind what you are plugged into; while you are charging tap Settings -> Battery and look at the top line of the screen. Does it say "Charging (AC)" or does it say "Charging (USB)"? If it says USB even though you are plugged into a wall outlet, then your charger brick is not the correct one or your USB cable does not support high-current charging and needs to be replaced.

If you are trying to charge using your computer's (or another device's USB port), then you should expect very slow charging or even negative charging if you are trying to use the phone at the same time.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Should make no difference because the charge rate should be the same (at least, it is if you are using the factory charger). Turning the phone off would be silly, IMHO.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I notice when I leave it plugged into after it is fully charged for a few more hours and let it trickle charge I get much better standby time. I posted about this earlier but I have a issue when I unplug it right after it is charged I get 1% drain after 10 minutes but leaving it plugged in a few more hours lets say overnight I get 1% drain on standby after a couple of hours.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Since my nexus 5 is my only means of communication, I always charge with phone on.

Posted via Android Central App

Funny House

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
It is good to charge with phone off, it will charge faster. But if you are not actively using the phone, there should be no big difference.
Practically it is very inconvenience to charge with phone off. I think the most you should do it is to put the phone of standby status.
Save battery and still can receive any required communication.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm