Phone recommendations on Verizon USA

DatBus

Sep 24, 2019
Visit site
I'm starting to need a new phone pretty urgently and want some advice before I make a decision bc I've been out of the loop on phones for quite a while now. I'm on Verizon in USA fwiw.

My phone history:
* Galaxy Nexus
* Moto X original
* Current: GS7

I've usually always leaned for vanilla Android phones but got the GS7 most recently because it was being heavily discounted when my Moto X broke and nothing at the same price point really compared. Having had it for almost 3 years now, I can definitely say I prefer vanilla android to touchwiz. The native apps are better on vanilla, the fonts are better etc. Touchwiz just looks super cartoony and childish to me, and I don't really think it adds any value. That being said, I'd get another Samsung phone if it offers me the best option for my needs at the best price.

I mostly use my phones for messaging/calls, internet browsing, social media, and Google maps. My two most used apps are definitely Twitter and Reddit.

My general take on important phone feature importance is:

1) The screen: you constantly interact with the screen so it totally shapes your experience with the phone. When I've seen the iPhone X screen from friends I'm really impressed with how crisp and vibrant it is. My GS7 screen feels like it has a film/filter on it or something in comparison.
2) The software: same as above, you're always interacting with the software, and being able to get reliable updates is important for phone longevity and best experience
3) everything else: I don't take a ton of pictures, but a good camera is a bonus. I don't do a lot of gaming or highly demanding tasks, but I've usually gotten top of the line phones and I think that's probably given me more longevity because the internals take longer to go out of date.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Pixel 3, but I know the Pixel 4 is likely to come out soon. I'd like to get a new phone sometime before 10/19 when I'm going for some travel and will want a phone with some actual battery life. I'm also kind of hesitant to (1) get a top of the line phone this time as the price-point for that has moved up a lot since I last bought my phone, and (2) get a Pixel 4 right after release because they've had a pretty bad history of early bugs.

So with all that being said, what do the experts recommend I do? Pixel 3 price will probably drop after Pixel 4 comes out, but if I get one now will it last me 3 years? Are there other phones available now/soon on Verizon that will compete with Pixel 4 and will also have the longevity?

Thanks for any advice.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm starting to need a new phone pretty urgently and want some advice before I make a decision bc I've been out of the loop on phones for quite a while now. I'm on Verizon in USA fwiw.

My phone history:
* Galaxy Nexus
* Moto X original
* Current: GS7

I've usually always leaned for vanilla Android phones but got the GS7 most recently because it was being heavily discounted when my Moto X broke and nothing at the same price point really compared. Having had it for almost 3 years now, I can definitely say I prefer vanilla android to touchwiz. The native apps are better on vanilla, the fonts are better etc. Touchwiz just looks super cartoony and childish to me, and I don't really think it adds any value. That being said, I'd get another Samsung phone if it offers me the best option for my needs at the best price.

I mostly use my phones for messaging/calls, internet browsing, social media, and Google maps. My two most used apps are definitely Twitter and Reddit.

My general take on important phone feature importance is:

1) The screen: you constantly interact with the screen so it totally shapes your experience with the phone. When I've seen the iPhone X screen from friends I'm really impressed with how crisp and vibrant it is. My GS7 screen feels like it has a film/filter on it or something in comparison.
2) The software: same as above, you're always interacting with the software, and being able to get reliable updates is important for phone longevity and best experience
3) everything else: I don't take a ton of pictures, but a good camera is a bonus. I don't do a lot of gaming or highly demanding tasks, but I've usually gotten top of the line phones and I think that's probably given me more longevity because the internals take longer to go out of date.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Pixel 3, but I know the Pixel 4 is likely to come out soon. I'd like to get a new phone sometime before 10/19 when I'm going for some travel and will want a phone with some actual battery life. I'm also kind of hesitant to (1) get a top of the line phone this time as the price-point for that has moved up a lot since I last bought my phone, and (2) get a Pixel 4 right after release because they've had a pretty bad history of early bugs.

So with all that being said, what do the experts recommend I do? Pixel 3 price will probably drop after Pixel 4 comes out, but if I get one now will it last me 3 years? Are there other phones available now/soon on Verizon that will compete with Pixel 4 and will also have the longevity?

Thanks for any advice.
You can get the pixel 3a or 3a xl cheaper and gives years of support

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter