phone reimages rom after reboot, cannot access recovery

nrambo

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
this has been an adventure for me to say the least. i recently flashed clockwork mod recovery and used it to flash Inferior Human Organs unofficial CM7.1. i initially flashed the wrong rom, which is probably related to the weird problems i am experiencing now. i have reflashed clockwork recovery twice and both time i get stuck in a recovery loop.

after removing clockwork and replacing it with the stock recovery, i was able to again flash IHO. everything installs correctly and the mod is great. however i cannot access the recovery partition through software or hard key presses during reboot. i have practice accessing recovery at boot, so i know im pressing the correct buttons in the correct sequence. the phone re-images IHO after every reboot and i lose all my settings :( ive donated money to the day, hoping the good karma would help me get this working...

i am able to access both adb from my pc, as well as terminal emulator on the phone. any help would be greatly appreciated, as i literally have been trying to fix this ALL DAY. ready to hook low voltage to the battery leads and take the bricked phone back to best buy.

nrambo

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
agreed, i have since given up on clockwork. i have tried flashing xionia twice and it has gotten me out of the recovery loop and loads the rom. that is what has allowed me to access the rom but it reflashes after every reboot, wiping my settings. recovery is also inaccessible through hard key presses at boot or instructions from the OS.

sorry, left that part about xionia out, different recovery, different set of problems. i have currently flashed xionia from both terminal emulator on the phone, as well as through adb / usb from recovery. i have yet to try installing it from a functional OS, will do that now.

nrambo

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the replies folks, was up til 2am screwing with this thing last night, did not want to get up for work this am :p

i initially used clockwork rom manager to install the recovery from the stock android OS, rebooted into recovery, flashed the wrong ROM, rebooted into recovery and was stuck in a recovery loop, could not get out of recovery. i have wiped and flashed everything three times now, even going as far as to verify checksums to make sure my files werent getting corrupted.

i am able to push xionia recovery through clockwork recovery but get errors in adb shell while doing so. it seems to install something and this allows me to access the OS. however, like i said, with xionia, the OS reimages itself after every reboot. this is preferable to clockwork, as that leaves me in a recovery loop.

when i get home today, i will try interfacing with my phone with a different usb cable, on a different pc, with a different sd card, just to isolate my variables.

any help or insight would be greatly appreaciated.

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
try going stock, then doing a full wipe/fac. reset.
then replace your recovery with xionia (recovery I use)
do another full wipe before flashing a rom, then try it out and see if it still tweaks.

anon(395747)

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
ROM Manager is a destroyer of the OV. Don't use it.

Use either Xionia or the recovery that BobZhome has built found here under the LG Opitmus V table.

When the OV was my primary, Bob's recovery never, ever failed on me.

nrambo

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
i was advised in another thread to use the clockwork recovery listed on the bobzhome site. however the bobzhome clockwork recovery doesnt have an option to remove the recovery, unlike the older version i used. i am under the impression i can remove the recovery using adb shell and flash the stock recovery using fastboot.

is there some kind of shortcut to boot or reboot the phone right to fastboot, to avoid the recovery nonsense?

also, does anyone have a convenient link to the stock VM670 recovery and OS? like a true noob, i failed to back my up before i flashed it initially :( cant fix stupid, but you can learn not to be stupid.

to further complicate matters, this bobzhome cwm recovery wont let me access the sdcard, get "E:Unable to open ums lunfile (No such file or directory) when attempting to mount usb storage and "error opening /sdcard/recovery.img" when running adb shell from the recovery console. i obviously dont have the option to boot into the OS and try, thus the desire to boot right into fastboot.

Last edited:

nrambo

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
my solution to this mess was to start from scratch.

i used the adb reboot bootloader command while stuck in clockwork mod. i then used bootloader to flash the stock recovery and ROM. i unrooted the phone and re-rooted after verifying everything was good. the proceeded to flash xionia recovery using adb and then used xionia to flash my ROM.

several days and many headaches later i feel quite proficient at this and will offer my knowledge to friends and family.

thanks for the replies and advice :)

Rodney Rose

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys i have a situation... so i had installed rom manager + clockwork recover.
Recently i was getting recovery boot loops then i flashed xionia recovery now everytime my phone dies or reboots+rebooting into recovery it just auto reflashes the rom and i have no control over it "cant access recovery mode at all only android terminal andall that other stuff wile phone is on". please help me my email is rodney.rose@hotmail.com.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys i have a situation... so i had installed rom manager + clockwork recover.
Recently i was getting recovery boot loops then i flashed xionia recovery now everytime my phone dies or reboots+rebooting into recovery it just auto reflashes the rom and i have no control over it "cant access recovery mode at all only android terminal andall that other stuff wile phone is on". please help me my email is rodney.rose@hotmail.com.

So you can or can't get into your rom? If you can boot into the rom you can flash zengarden or cot recovery. Once you have either of them flashed to the phone use terminal emulator and type "reboot recovery"

Once there find the fix recovery bootloop setting and use it

Tapatalk'n it PAC-Rom style! Android 4.2.2 on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Recently i was getting recovery boot loops then i flashed xionia recovery now everytime my phone dies or reboots+rebooting into recovery it just auto reflashes the rom and i have no control over it "cant access recovery mode at all only android terminal andall that other stuff wile phone is on". please help me my email is.
You might rethink leaving an email address.

thewraith420 is correct.
I would lean toward the Cannibal Open Touch recovery (COT) to get out of a recovery boot loop. The ZenGarden recovery although the best recovery for the V, has not proven itself to be up to all recovery boot loop challenges.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums