Pictures Taken With Your Galaxy Nexus!

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
None of the pictures above where in sunlight! The one with the cat on my daughters head was the only one with a flash, the last cat picture (up close) was in a very dark room, the only thing I did was +1 in exposure. The Opus X pictures (cigar with red X on the band) was at night time outside on my porch at work.

Overall I think the key is to either use two hands so you can use one to tap the screen to focus and hold phone steady. Or wait a second or two and let the cam get a good auto focus before taking the picture.

That's exactly what I did though. Used 2 hands, tap to focus or let the camera focus.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
A couple more from the past week when I've thought to grab a couple of pics. I do rather enjoy the fun with the panoramic stuff. I just need more opportunities to use it.

reg1233

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
This was posted on Phandroid.com and seemed to help a lot of people:

"one thing you should avoid is quickly tapping the shutter. this causes camera shake and your photos will come out blurry/soft. also quickly tapping the shutter doesn't give the camera enough time to focus.
instead, you should "hold down" the shutter till the image is in focus then slowly release it to take the picture just like on a real camera.
also, the only time you really need to touch the screen to focus is if you want to focus on somewhere in the image other than dead center. there's no need to touch the image to focus since touching the shutter also trigger auto-focus, but you need to hold down the shutter long enough to let the camera focus. this is especially important in low light situations since it takes longer for the camera to focus.
seems like most of the complaints about the camera i've been reading about are related to soft or out of focus pics caused by camera shake or not being in focus. i'm guessing this is mostly due to people just quickly tapping the shutter, which shakes the phone.
tbh, i don't really see the benefit of the instant shutter in ICS the way it's implemented currently. if instead you could tap the image to both focus and take the pic, like on the olympus pen cameras, then it could be useful.
the main reason i think people are seeing better results with other camera phones is that other phones don't take the picture until focus is locked, which is why you get the delay after pressing the shutter.
on the gnex, the camera takes the pic regardless of focus lock. it's an odd choice google made in implementing the camera this way:/ "

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
a6f966a8-1d8e-da88.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rokstarr

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Here is a pano I took while at Niagara Falls this past week. First 1 is totally untouched, second pic is the same thing but all I did was use google's editing tools on g+, was a filter called "boost". That's it. I'll post more if you'd like to see some other normal shots too.

edit.. hmm.. I wonder if I forgot to save it with the filter.. got to run for now, will mess around a bit more later

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
After going through many post here, anyone that says the GN camera sucks is nuts. While there are a small number of bad images, the vast majority, both outdoor and indoor, are amazing for such a tiny camera. As to the few bad ones, there will always be people who have no idea what's going on when a picture is taken, and they would get the same poor results with a $5,000 pro rig under the same circumstances. I'm not saying you need to be a photographic engineer to get a good shot, but as far as low light is concerned, if you can't see it all that well with your eyes, the camera is not going to see it any better (without flash). And speaking of flash, it doesn't work that well beyond 8 to 12 feet.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
After going through many post here, anyone that says the GN camera sucks is nuts. While there are a small number of bad images, the vast majority, both outdoor and indoor, are amazing for such a tiny camera. As to the few bad ones, there will always be people who have no idea what's going on when a picture is taken, and they would get the same poor results with a $5,000 pro rig under the same circumstances. I'm not saying you need to be a photographic engineer to get a good shot, but as far as low light is concerned, if you can't see it all that well with your eyes, the camera is not going to see it any better (without flash). And speaking of flash, it doesn't work that well beyond 8 to 12 feet.

Yeah....I one of those guys lol. No matter hard I try, I cant get decent images. Is there something I'm missing in the settings? What Im doing is pointing and pressing on the center to focus and when it goes beep I shoot. The images look grainy and just bad. What am I doing wrong? Here's a sample of my "work".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah....I one of those guys lol. No matter hard I try, I cant get decent images. Is there something I'm missing in the settings? What Im doing is pointing and pressing on the center to focus and when it goes beep I shoot. The images look grainy and just bad. What am I doing wrong? Here's a sample of my "work".
[URL=http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4702/img20120102160510.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

Try tapping to focus. U could tap the part of the screen that u want to focus on and then, wait until the box turns green. Once it turns green the picture should be focused and u can take an excellent picture. If the box turns red, then the picture is not in focus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

reg1233

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
[URL=http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4702/img20120102160510.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

Hold down the camera button until it focuses like a traditional camera. When you release it, the your shot will be a lot better.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
[/URL]

You're taking a picture of an extremely bland subject (no offense intended). By that, I mean that everything there is is flat and dull. If you had something in the shot with a contrasting, or more vibrant color, like some green leaves, it would look better, though still need some light to bring out the colors. My guess is an SLR would give you the same looking image under those same lighting conditions. The only way to make dull items pop more, is to change the lighting. This has nothing to do with a "low light" shot problem, it just needs some directional light to bring some life into the image. The reddish mulch should contrast the white plant, but there is no light for those two subjects to show that contrast, so the whole thing looks flat.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
No offense taken. I just walked outside my apartment and took a shot of a dead plant to test it. Took a few more of my cars and a broader shot of the complex. Everything's pretty dead and bland looking out here so maybe I'll have to wait til spring to get a few good shots.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You know what, It may very well be this crappy monitor. Its some random compaq 15inch lcd from who knows when. Now that I look at the images on my Gnex, they look sharp and somewhat nice. Still terrible shots of dead junk in the ground, but they don't look half as bad as looking at them on my computer. Think I may take a few better shots tomorrow and plug it into my tv.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
No offense taken. I just walked outside my apartment and took a shot of a dead plant to test it. Took a few more of my cars and a broader shot of the complex. Everything's pretty dead and bland looking out here so maybe I'll have to wait til spring to get a few good shots.

Try something inside, in a normally lit room. If you've got a nice wood grain table, set a cold beer bottle, or a glass of coke in it with another item or two (candle, bottle of wine, lit cigar in a nice ashtray), maybe have a rain coat hanging off a chair in the background. Hold the camera steady, and you should get a great shot.

Now this is starting to sound like a photography class...but then again, I am a photographer.

That first shot was taken with the light from the lamp only (focused on the thread of the cap), the second one was just a regular outdoor shot on a sunny day, but the third one is the real miracle (no pun intended...baby Jesus play)...I was about 40 yards away (in a balcony) , zoomed in on my screen and just the stage's lights, no flash. I was expecting it to come out much worse. No photographic awards here, I was just playing around seeing how the camera handled color saturation and detail under different circumstances.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny