Pixel 2 not reading new texts

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the regular Pixel 2 - I don't use this particular functionality often but on my old Pixel XL, sometimes when driving I'd use "OK Google" to send a text or read a new incoming text out loud. I've had my Pixel 2 since a few months after launch - recently I've had a few occasions while driving when a text would come in & I say "OK Google, read new text - or - read incoming text - or - read new text from <name>" (I've tried MANY different ways) and she always says "nope" (there are no new texts, no texts from <name> etc.) I *think* if I just say "read texts" she's supposed to read the last 5 texts - that doesn't work either.

I use Textra for texting, I checked my permissions & I think everything is correct - I'm still able to have her send texts using voice - but she refuses to read any new texts - or any texts at all. I've also tried changing back to the stock messenger, same thing happens.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing? I know I can always do a factory reset, & probably will in the near future just for the fun of it - but I'd rather not do it just to fix this when I don't even know if it's just a setting that's not right.

Last edited:

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
OK, I think I figured this out - it took me 2 factory resets & re-setting everything up before I realized it was apparently operator error. Yesterday during all my fun of resetting & reinstalling apps, setting up my options again, I discovered I had un-checked a very important box under the Google app, then Settings, then Personal - I had unchecked a lot of the boxes on that screen because I don't like it when I do a search & my phone gives me an email or app or whatever - but when I unchecked the SMS box on that screen - I lost the ability to have it read me any of my texts.

It looks like I solved my problem, although it was apparently my own darned fault :p

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Good that you found the problem and also good that you posted the solution to help others that might have done the same thing.