Pixel 3/3a Accessibility Features?

allyjax

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Hi there. I have a disability that affects the function of my hands, and makes things like pressing small buttons pretty difficult.

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S7. It is slowly dying on me, and I'm dreading having to get a new phone (I'll miss you, home button!). I've been looking at the Pixel as a possible replacement and was wondering about a couple of things.

1.) Does the camera still have the voice activation options. I don't mean the one through Google Assistant, but the ones in the camera app where you can take pictures by saying 'capture', 'cheese' or 'smile'?

2.) Does it still allow you to take screen shots by swiping your hand across the screen?

It's small things like these that make using the phone a lot easier for me. I'm assuming the features still exist since it's still the Android software, but just wanted to double check before making any purchases.

Thank you in advance!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not aware of a voice capability within the stock Camera application that allows such a thing, although there may be some Accessibility setting that allows for that. I'm sure there are 3rd party applications that have that ability.
You must be thinking of a different brand of phone for the swipe screenshot feature; perhaps it was HTC or LG.

flashstepped

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
1. Voice command is not available to take a shot.

2. To take a screenshot, you need to press the power button, or power and volume button together. I don't think the swipe is available, unless that's an accessibility feature that I'm unaware of.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I remember the LG G6 had the voice command to take a shot, so I'm assuming it's on LG's newer phones. It also had a screenshot button that could be added to the notification tray, instead of pressing a physical button.

Hope this helps.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
This is a question that I first posted 3 months ago. I learned that the very useful camera voice control was on my samsung galaxy s5. The camera voice is not available on the Pixel. Never got an explanation.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I just checked this and it works on my Pixel 3xl:

Say "Ok Google, take a picture," or "Ok Google, take a selfie."
Optional: Have the camera wait before taking the photo. For example, "Ok Google, take a picture in 12 seconds." You can tell the camera to wait 3—30 seconds.
Your Camera app will open and take a photo.

Also - if you enable Photobooth in the camera app from "More", press the star symbol, all you need do is smile and a picture is taken

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just checked this and it works on my Pixel 3xl:

Say "Ok Google, take a picture," or "Ok Google, take a selfie."
Optional: Have the camera wait before taking the photo. For example, "Ok Google, take a picture in 12 seconds." You can tell the camera to wait 3—30 seconds.
Your Camera app will open and take a photo.

Also - if you enable Photobooth in the camera app from "More", press the star symbol, all you need do is smile and a picture is taken

Great suggestions but the OP stated they don't want to use Google Assistant

allyjax

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I'm not aware of a voice capability within the stock Camera application that allows such a thing, although there may be some Accessibility setting that allows for that. I'm sure there are 3rd party applications that have that ability.
You must be thinking of a different brand of phone for the swipe screenshot feature; perhaps it was HTC or LG.

Nope, it's in the S7. It's under the 'Advanced Features' . I actually found it by accident.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190513-112011_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190513-112011_Settings.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 5

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I tried to take a photo using the Pixel 3, not the 3X. It doesn't work. I also tried Photo book. It doesn't work there either. It's a shame. I'd love to have it back.

allyjax

May 12, 2019
Visit site
I tried to take a photo using the Pixel 3, not the 3X. It doesn't work. I also tried Photo book. It doesn't work there either. It's a shame. I'd love to have it back.

And there is nothing in the camera settings to turn it on? That's so disappointing. That feature actually made it possible for me to use the camera. At least the 'Ok Google' route is still an option, but it's so much easier to say one word versus a whole sentence, especially if you're somewhere with loud surroundings.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I know the s10 still allows palm screenshots and might still have more accessibility options than the Pixel 3 does. I would look into that, especially the s10e version, since it is closer in size to the s7 and has a capacitive fps at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool