Pixel 3 won't charge on Google USB-C cable but sometimes will on 3rd party one

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
My Pixel 3 will no longer charge using the Google-issued USB-C cable, but it *oftentimes* (but not always) will charge using a 3rd party USB-C cable. It will also charge wirelessly on a Pixel Stand. The corded Google Buds that came with the phone also no longer work. I've cleaned out the USB-C port as best I can and it did not fix the issue. Pretty weird that the 3rd party cable usually works...

I'm guessing this is going to require a repair?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How did you clean the port? Using a can of compressed air? Did you also clean the contacts using a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol?

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
Have you tried the cable or the buds on another device to rule them out?

Yes. I have multiple Google USB-C cables for my wife's Pixel 3 and my Pixelbook and none of them work on my own Pixel 3 but they work fine on everything else.

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
How did you clean the port? Using a can of compressed air? Did you also clean the contacts using a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol?

I just poked around in there with a toothpick. Will have to try compressed air (after buying some!). Seems like the cotton swab w/ rubbing alcohol thing could get stuck in there...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site