Pixel 5 not compatible with Spectrum Mobile?

cwlvr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my new Pixel 5 for two months on Google FI (esim) and am very happy with it. Today I decided to take my Spectrum Mobile Sim card out of my old Pixel 3 and put it in the P5. Both my phone numbers would then be in one phone. This, of course, did not work as I found out, because the P5 is 5G and would then need a different Sim card provisioned with my Spectrum phone number. When trying to obtain this new 5G Sim card Spectrum informed me that my P5 (using the IMEI number) is not compatible with their network and therefore they were unable to issue me a Sim card. I argued that they sell the P5 so how can that be and they were adamant that THEIR phones would work and by the way, I could trade in my P5 on a new P5 from them. Of course my P5 is already new and their trade in offer was 1/3 of the cost of a new P5. This for me was then a non-starter.

I do not understand how my Pixel 5 could be considered "incompatible" with the Spectrum Mobile network when they sell the phones for their network. Can anyone help me with this problem?

wcavaliere88

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that doesn't seem right, unless your P5 is locked to another network. Was it purchased from a carrier? They most likely are just trying to trick you into buying a phone from them. I think the only different version of the P5 is the Verizon.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would contact Spectrum's customer service again and ask to be escalated to a higher tech support tier. I agree, their explanation doesn't make sense.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Agree with B Diddy. Knowledge levels vary among support personnel. . The right support person should be able to provision your phone to their system. They may also be able to provision your existing sim to work. There are differing opinions as to whether a new sim is needed for 5g. Many have got 5g from existing 4g sims when moving to different devices.

BYOD to CDMA networks (when the device is not bought from them) is complicated. There is nothing different on your P5 to what they sell. The device is usually compatible, but will not work since it is not "registered" on the network.

One additional suggestion; you can go to a Spectrum Mobile store and have them try to work it out. It may take an hour or two waiting, but I believe they have better access to knowledgeable techs that should help.

cwlvr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I do agree of course but the phone should work on their network. My pixel 3 works perfectly fine on their network. I will try to get a higher level technical support and also go to a different spectrum store that may have a more knowledgeable technician.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure you'll find knowledgeable techs but I believe they have better phone support to techs that can solve this, as opposed to what you get when calling.