Pixel 6 & 6 Pro screen protectors

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Im wondering if this is going to be a more common issue with other screen protectors. Since this underscreen fingerprint sensor is not like the other ones on the market, it might react differently to something on the glass between it and the finger.

Could be, I asked if there was an official "google approved" screen protector in the google store but he didn't know of one. The one way to get around it if you REALLY want a screen protector on your Pixel is to not use fingerprints. There's no issue when you use PIN or pattern lock.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
is this Spigen available in Canada? How did you get it? I ordered Orzero from Amazon and works fine so far, but i like brand names :D
I got it on Amazon.ca but I wouldn't recommend it now as I was having issues with it interfering with the fingerprint scanner. I still have a slight issue after removing the screen protector where the phone screen lights up without me tapping it but it's way less frequent without the screen protector. I have a support ticket with Google open

MarcusAlan

Oct 27, 2021
Visit site
See post #8 and #10. Perfect application. I put it on right after removing the paper protector when first unboxed. Wiped down with included alcohol pad and wiped with included cloth. Applied/squeegy'd most of the protector, then removed template and feather out the bubbles and rant the squeegee along the edges. Near perfect

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had issues with another brand phone with a curved edge display. The protectors always allowed dust, etc. under the edges where the protector did not seal tight to the curve. Eventually I found one that was a bit smaller than the display so the edges did not go over the curve. It sealed tight but you could see the edge of the screen protector all the way around. Eventually I got used to it and did not notice.

Now people here and on other boards are saying some of the protectors at least do not play well with the finger print sensor. Will have to wait and see what the consensus is specific protectors once more people try them.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
.Now people here and on other boards are saying some of the protectors at least do not play well with the finger print sensor. Will have to wait and see what the consensus is specific protectors once more people try them.

As it's an optical scanner, I'd be surprised to see much of an issue with a TGSP if people are setting up their fingerprints AFTER installing the SP, and turning on "increased touch sensitivity."

I have a cheap one I'll be trying on my 6 Pro on Monday, will provide link if it works well.

A couple of things I've read people doing that has given them better success have been to register the same fingerprint twice, and to turn off the animations in the settings. Coming from a Galaxy s20fe that only supports three fingerprint entries, and assuming that the pixel still allows for up to 10 to be stored (as was the case with the Pixel 3 XL) I'm hoping that that will do the trick.

In either case, I think it has to at least be good as the s20fe which uses an optical sensor, in which case I'll be okay with it as it was good about 90% of the time - not nearly as good as the capacitive sensor of Pixels past, though.

I get that they wanted to go for an aesthetic improvement by removing the rear fingerprint sensor, but really wish they had just integrated it as a capacitive sensor into the power button. That works flawlessly and easily 100% of the time on my Pixel Slate, offers the aesthetic improvement, and maintains what I believe to be the next best ease of access and ergonomic position.

MarcusAlan

Oct 27, 2021
Visit site
As it's an optical scanner, I'd be surprised to see much of an issue with a TGSP if people are setting up their fingerprints AFTER installing the SP,

I'm hoping people are putting on their SP before ever turning on the phone. I don't touch mine until I have a case and SP. It's like driving your new car for a week until you get an appointment for your PPF - By then it's no longer perferct

Rugbylad2801

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I can't find a screen protector anywhere. Do I really need one with the Gorilla glass Victus? I have a Spigen Ultra hybrid case but not sure if to just keep waiting for a screen protector comes in stock (could be waiting month's)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I can't find a screen protector anywhere. Do I really need one with the Gorilla glass Victus? I have a Spigen Ultra hybrid case but not sure if to just keep waiting for a screen protector comes in stock (could be waiting month's)

"Need" all depends on how effective you are about being careful about handling your phone. Victus is very resilient, but can still be scratched or cracked. A screen protector simply adds an extra layer such that what would normally scratch the phone's display would scratch the protector instead, and a hard drop that might crack the phones display could only damage the protector leaving the display itself unmarred.

Film protectors are a great option that can provide 100% coverage if you don't mind the feel not being like glass. As far as tempered glass protectors, we just have to hope that somebody comes out with a good one that provides adequate coverage, operability with the FPS, and good durability. I'm hoping that Whitestone dome introduces one, as that was an excellent protector for my pixel 3 XL

Rugbylad2801

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with a decent TPU but I don't know any of the brands (about 3 on Amazon in the UK) at the moment. Other than that seems waiting lists are December, unless you knoe of any for the 6 pro ?

Rugbylad2801

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
"Need" all depends on how effective you are about being careful about handling your phone. Victus is very resilient, but can still be scratched or cracked. A screen protector simply adds an extra layer such that what would normally scratch the phone's display would scratch the protector instead, and a hard drop that might crack the phones display could only damage the protector leaving the display itself unmarred.

Film protectors are a great option that can provide 100% coverage if you don't mind the feel not being like glass. As far as tempered glass protectors, we just have to hope that somebody comes out with a good one that provides adequate coverage, operability with the FPS, and good durability. I'm hoping that Whitestone dome introduces one, as that was an excellent protector for my pixel 3 XL

Why would the tempered glass interfere with the FPS? Would a TPU film not ?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Why would the tempered glass interfere with the FPS? Would a TPU film not ?

The only phone I've had with an in-display FPS is the S20 FE. I used a cheap (3 for $10) TGSP and had no issues, but some have reported problems - I think it's more of an issue with ultrasonic than optical sensors. If I had to guess, problems could arise from either imperfect clarity of the glass, or the added thickness perhaps conflicting with the focal length of the sensor. Haven't heard of anyone ever having issues with a film protector.

If you do use one, be sure to set up your fingerprints after installing the screen protector, and if you find it still finicky you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor in the settings.

Rugbylad2801

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to keep s look out for some screen protector on Amazon. Zagg are wanting £49!? Wtf??

Spigen are all out, can't get hold of a Tauri one anywhere (their application process is amazing ).

Any recommendations on brands in the UK fair price for a TPU?

Prath09

Oct 26, 2017
Visit site
BestBuy does custom screen protectors (not tempered glass) at Geek Squad. Not sure if its a Canada thing. They are expensive at $30, but you can replace it at anytime with the receipt. They cut it to the exact size of the pro and front camera hole and apply it for you.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
BestBuy does custom screen protectors (not tempered glass) at Geek Squad. Not sure if its a Canada thing. They are expensive at $30, but you can replace it at anytime with the receipt. They cut it to the exact size of the pro and front camera hole and apply it for you.

Clearplex. It's a Canada thing, unavailable in USA.

mmidgley

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
The Supershieldz High Definition Clear Shield (TPU) were easy to install and fit great. I've installed on two Pixel 6 Pro phones. There was a faint horizontal line across the center of the screen right after installation (due to the way they have you install them, which is very good in my opinion) and some super tiny bubbles, but both have disappeared as Supershieldz says they will with some time. Don't be afraid to use the sticker for dust removal part way through install (meaning as you lift up upper and lower sections and sweep with the card), as they do have backing touch the screen during positioning in an early step.
install video
Fingerprint setup was performed after the screen protectors were installed. That being the case, I don't have experience to compare a before and after, but the fingerprint reader seems to be performing exactly as everyone describes it. I did not turn on extra screen sensitivity.

Sorry the photos also include the Spigen case--I'm normally quick to install screen protectors and case before any bad luck starts.
PXL_20211031_222428956.jpgPXL_20211101_024738585.jpg

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Where have all the screen protectors gone? Are there that many people with these devices? Haha

I've looked up on Amazon and most results say "in stock soon". I guess I'll be using the phone indoors for now and keep using my previous phone as my primary until I get a protector. I wish there were some that were full cover without the selfie camera cutout.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Where have all the screen protectors gone? Are there that many people with these devices? Haha

I've looked up on Amazon and most results say "in stock soon". I guess I'll be using the phone indoors for now and keep using my previous phone as my primary until I get a protector. I wish there were some that were full cover without the selfie camera cutout.
These are in stock. Not sure how good they are but should be better than nothing. Might get them myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Shield-Scree...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU7001203

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord