Pixel 6 and Google Messages Notification Question

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I recently replaced my Pixel 2XL with a Pixel 5a. I use custom notification sounds for my most frequent contacts so when I get a text from them I get a unique notification sound to identify them without looking at my phone.

Then, once I'm in a conversation with someone the subsequent texts to me would activate the default text notification sound. This was perfect for me. But now with my 5a, I no longer get the default text notification sound when I'm inside a conversation with someone. I get no sound event at all. I really miss this feature.

I've contacted Google support and they said the feature of getting notifications while inside a text conversation is not available to Pixel 5a. They told me it might be activated in a future software update.

My questions are about how Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro handles notifications when inside a text message using Google Messages.

If you are in a text message conversation with someone do you receive text notifications when they subsequently text you?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I recently replaced my Pixel 2XL with a Pixel 5a. I use custom notification sounds for my most frequent contacts so when I get a text from them I get a unique notification sound to identify them without looking at my phone.

Then, once I'm in a conversation with someone the subsequent texts to me would activate the default text notification sound. This was perfect for me. But now with my 5a, I no longer get the default text notification sound when I'm inside a conversation with someone. I get no sound event at all. I really miss this feature.

I've contacted Google support and they said the feature of getting notifications while inside a text conversation is not available to Pixel 5a. They told me it might be activated in a future software update.

My questions are about how Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro handles notifications when inside a text message using Google Messages.

If you are in a text message conversation with someone do you receive text notifications when they subsequently text you?
Very familiar with that bug (custom SMS sounds being changed to default). Been happening to me for a while now with my 4 XL and Android 11. What SMS app do you use?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Very familiar with that bug (custom SMS sounds being changed to default). Been happening to me for a while now with my 4 XL and Android 11. What SMS app do you use?
I use Google Messages.

The problem is not that custom SMS sounds are being changed to default, the problem is once inside a text conversation there are no notifications when new texts are received from the person on the other end.

So, I am asking Pixel 6 (and 6 Pro) owners if text notifications continue to be heard when receiving a text from the person inside a conversation?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that happens on my Pixel 6 Pro. This has been standard for most SMS messaging apps on Android devices -- the rationale being that if you have the messaging app open to the message thread where a new message comes in, you're already aware of the incoming message, and therefore you don't need to hear the notification.

There are 3rd party SMS apps that do have this option -- I believe Textra is one of them.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that happens on my Pixel 6 Pro. This has been standard for most SMS messaging apps on Android devices -- the rationale being that if you have the messaging app open to the message thread where a new message comes in, you're already aware of the incoming message, and therefore you don't need to hear the notification.

There are 3rd party SMS apps that do have this option -- I believe Textra is one of them.
Nope, the notifications happening within text conversations occurred with my Pixel 2XL, currently occurs with my wife's 2XL, and Google Support told me it is active through Pixel 5, but was not on 5a. So I'm wondering if this is active on Pixel 6 and 6 Pro.

Maybe somebody with a Pixel 6 could give it a try. Also if anyone has a 4XL. Have someone text you, open up the conversation and request they text you again. See if you get a notification on subsequent texts.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Nope, the notifications happening within text conversations occurred with my Pixel 2XL, currently occurs with my wife's 2XL, and Google Support told me it is active through Pixel 5, but was not on 5a. So I'm wondering if this is active on Pixel 6 and 6 Pro.

Maybe somebody with a Pixel 6 could give it a try. Also if anyone has a 4XL. Have someone text you, open up the conversation and request they text you again. See if you get a notification on subsequent texts.

Bumping.

Is there no one that is curious as to whether your Pixel 6 has this feature? I would greatly appreciate if someone would check this out for me.

When you are in a text conversation with someone, do subsequent texts from that person trigger a notification sound?

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
Pixel 5
Android 12

I get a tone and new notification for each new response in a conversation. I know this because a couple of my contacts can't seem to STFU once they start posting. This is probably an old dog/new tricks situation. I tend to send information snippets via sms and for conversations I use (gasp!) voice calls. I do this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-114813.png
    Screenshot_20211109-114813.png
    808 KB · Views: 24

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
But I'm learning. Getting more social. Because my Pixel makes it so easy I've begun to add .gifs to some of my messages. Maybe this old dog has a few tricks left!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Bumping.

Is there no one that is curious as to whether your Pixel 6 has this feature? I would greatly appreciate if someone would check this out for me.

When you are in a text conversation with someone, do subsequent texts from that person trigger a notification sound?

I actually haven't had a chance to test since outside of work, I don't use the Google Messages app much (I communicate with my family using Google Chat), and I'm off work for a few days. I'll keep an eye on this and report back when I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy