Pixel 6 (unlocked on Verizon) - Preferred Network Type option missing

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I am using an unlocked (bought from Google) P6 on Verizon and I wanted to try disabling 5G for a couple days to see if my battery life improves. I am working in an office with poor signal this week.

The option is no longer there under Settings/Network & internet/SIMs.... It was there in the past, but I have not looked in some time, so I am not sure when it was removed. I hate hate hate that Verizon has injected a custom build onto my Pixel. I specifically bought the P6 (and 4, 2, and Nexus phones before) to avoid that. If this is the new normal, no more Pixels for me. Google needs to get them out of the loop again. I am not an Apple fan, but I hate Verizon more.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
In effect then, your carrier has damaged, or at least hobbled, your phone, by removing something that was on it when you paid for it.

Reactions: SeeBeeEss

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
Seems as if your issue is really with Verizon, not Google. While some may add their own crapware and slow down Android updates, taking away Android functionality is not the "new normal" with most carriers that I am aware of. Maybe instead of "no more Pixels," you should consider "no more Verizon."

At the very least, I would be talking to Verizon for an explanation and, if the loss of functionality was purposeful, to register my displeasure before moving to another carrier.

Last edited:

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Seems as if your issue is really with Verizon, not Google. While some may add their own crapware and slow down Android updates, taking away Android functionality is not the "new normal" with most carriers that I am aware of. Maybe instead of "no more Pixels," you should consider "no more Verizon."

At the very least, I would be talking to Verizon for an explanation and, if the loss of functionality was purposeful, to register my displeasure before moving to another carrier.
Apple does not allow carriers to modify the OS. Google could demand that they leave Android alone also if they wanted to. They've pushed a lot of functionality to google play services to get control. They could push that all the way.

If you look at the update builds for Pixel phones on the Google developer page, the pre-Tensor phones have very few carrier specific builds. The vast majority are just a single build for the update. If you look at the Tensor based updates, there are fragmented builds all through the various 6 and 7 phones. Sometimes it is Verizon with a special build, sometimes AT&T, sometimes others.

Something about the Tensor allowed (necessitated?) this. That is on Google as it is "their" chipset. If I were guessing it is the non-qualcomm modems meaning the carriers have to tweak things. And once they get a toe in, they seem to be doing other things.

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
Apple does not allow carriers to modify the OS. Google could demand that they leave Android alone also if they wanted to. They've pushed a lot of functionality to google play services to get control. They could push that all the way.

If you look at the update builds for Pixel phones on the Google developer page, the pre-Tensor phones have very few carrier specific builds. The vast majority are just a single build for the update. If you look at the Tensor based updates, there are fragmented builds all through the various 6 and 7 phones. Sometimes it is Verizon with a special build, sometimes AT&T, sometimes others.

Something about the Tensor allowed (necessitated?) this. That is on Google as it is "their" chipset. If I were guessing it is the non-qualcomm modems meaning the carriers have to tweak things. And once they get a toe in, they seem to be doing other things.
While I appreciate that the customer experience is different for everyone and understand how frustrating things can be when they seem beyond our control, I personally consider my Pixel 6 Pro to be one of the best devices I have ever owned. It came with a stock Android OS, it's fast, consistently reliable (so far), takes some pretty good pictures, and has a decent battery life - all at a decent price.

Perhaps I am dealing with an anomaly, but irrespective of chipset, my carrier has not touched/tweaked the stock Android that came with my Pixel 6 Pro, nor have they tried to add anything to increase their footprint/control on my device. Why would Verizon feel a need to do so and why would consumers continue to support a carrier that would manipulate the core functionality of their (unlocked) devices?

While Apple might be lauded (or denounced depending on the things you value) for locking up iOS tighter than Fort Knox and for making things simple for consumers, I personally prefer the greater choice that the Android OS brings to the table. Things like deep customization and personalization options, a universal file system that I can actually see, use and drag and drop onto my PC, the adoption of a universal (as opposed to proprietary) port system, brisk continual innovation, etc.

It wasn't my cup of tea, but it is for a great many consumers. If you end up moving to an iPhone, I hope that it provides you with the things you are looking for in a device and provides you with a great experience.

Reactions: Ben_70 and FF22

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow, did not notice that. I was in an area with virtual zero Verizon cell coverage a week ago and the option was there. I know because I toggled it a few times, seeing if I could get a signal. But you're post made me look, and it is gone now. (For what is worth, it didn't help my service.)

I share your frustration, however, I can't say I'll move aware from pixel. I like vanilla Android and don't want some manufacturer skin over it. I do wish Google would quit letting carriers mess with this stuff though. All pixels should be the same, carriers are just their for signal and service, no need to mess with things. In this respect, and probably only this one, I wish they'd take a page from apple.

blabblebanble

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
Complain to Verizon. That's what I did.

The June 2023 update explicitly lists that they took away the ability to choose preferred network at Verizon's request.

None of the other carriers have that line item in their update details. Plus, they did it to me since I'm on Verizon's network, even though I purchased my phone directly from Google.

Call Verizon, tell them to change it or you're leaving.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I remember years ago, some members found that the FM Radio on their carrier-locked phones was disabled, so that you had to use, and of course pay for, data if you wanted to listen. Do US carriers still do that?

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that the network select is now gone on my Verizon purchased P6. But it isn't just Verizon, I have an AT&T SIM in a 6a and that has no network select either.