Pixel and S3

anon(9702034)

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the market for a smartwatch, and I really like the looks of the S3. I'm wondering how it works with the Google Pixel. Any input from somebody that has both would be greatly appreciated.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have both, it's pretty good. However with Android Wear 2.0 those watches will be able to compete with the S3.

DrJay1

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the market for a smartwatch, and I really like the looks of the S3. I'm wondering how it works with the Google Pixel. Any input from somebody that has both would be greatly appreciated.
I have both and they work great, including Samsung Pay. No problems with either so far.

anon(9702034)

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the S3. Was waiting for the LG Watch Sport, but I am pretty disappointed in the styling, build quality, and, battery life.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I will say there are things that owning a Pixel and this watch are limited to unlike owning a Samsung phone and this watch. For the most part you can do Samsung Pay without a Galaxy phone but there is a lot of stuff you could do with a Galaxy phone and this watch. For example as of right now unless you have a Samsung phone you cannot buy apps for the watch you can only download the free ones, that includes watch faces. I would check out the differences between owning a Samsung phone and this watch versus owning a non Samsung phone and this watch.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
For example as of right now unless you have a Samsung phone you cannot buy apps for the watch you can only download the free ones, that includes watch faces. I would check out the differences between owning a Samsung phone and this watch versus owning a non Samsung phone and this watch.
That's incorrect. You do not need a Samsung phone to buy apps, any qualifying Android phone will work. But there are serious limitations with iPhones.

Here's a chart detailing the differences:

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/01/1...res-that-are-missing-from-the-gear-s3-on-ios/

anon(9702034)

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
You are correct. I just purchased S3 from Best Buy. I was able to go into the gear app and purchase watch faces and anything else it was selling. I'm actually very happy with the watch all the way around. I was really hoping the LG Watch Sport was going to be a lot more than what it is, but I just couldn't get past the plain generic look and questionable battery life. Also not being able to change bands is very annoying.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected. I just brought a watchface myself. I'm looking for the Uber app and for some reason I can't find or download that for the S3

anon(9702034)

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Well after a couple days with the S3, I sadly returned it. The build quality, and style were great, but I found the heart rate monitor very inaccurate while I was working out, and I had issues with calls going through the watch speaker even when answering on the phone. I was able to order the blue LG Watch Sport through the Google Store, which will be delivered tomorrow. Even though I'm not fond of the styling, I'm hoping Android Wear 2.0 will make up for it.

anon(9702034)

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Well it's been a long journey, but I'm going to try the S3 again. I received the LG Watch Sport and hated it. Software wise it was decent, but the size, ergonomics, and especially the battery life are horrible. I can't believe this is the hardware Google chose to show off Android Wear 2.0. The non removable strap is awful.
I also tried the Garmin Fenix 3 Hr. While I was fairly impressed with it as a fitness device, I just couldn't get used to the e - ink display. I felt like I was a kid again in the early 80's playing Atari.
So my second S3 will arrive tomorrow and hopefully the second time is the charm.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
While I'm perfectly happy with my S3, I expect my next watch will run AW 2.x. but it will probably take 6 to 12 months for a manufacturer to create one as good as the S3. For me, that means, all hardware is contained within the watch body (not the band), battery life of 18+ hours with AOD and LTE on, a rotating bezel, and hopefully, Android Pay with MST.

The S3 is good enough that I can wait patiently for the right watch to be released. I'm ok with amortizing the cost of a watch at ~$150 per year. Let's say I want to buy a new watch in November, if I can sell my S3 for ~$175 I'm good with that.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
While I'm perfectly happy with my S3, I expect my next watch will run AW 2.x. but it will probably take 6 to 12 months for a manufacturer to create one as good as the S3. For me, that means, all hardware is contained within the watch body (not the band), battery life of 18+ hours with AOD and LTE on, a rotating bezel, and hopefully, Android Pay with MST.

The S3 is good enough that I can wait patiently for the right watch to be released. I'm ok with amortizing the cost of a watch at ~$150 per year. Let's say I want to buy a new watch in November, if I can sell my S3 for ~$175 I'm good with that.

You might get most of that stuff but I'm pretty sure you won't get MST. Samsung has a patent on it. I really don't understand why the rest of that can't be done already. I have an LG watch urbane 2nd edition LTE and the radios are in the bands so I figured by time the sport came out, they would have figured out how to put it in the device itself. It makes no sense to me.