Pixel Buds or....?

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I think Im ready to take the plunge on my first pair of wireless airbuds. Ive been holding off as long as I can since I wont really be using them too much but I can see the value in having a pair.

In fairness I have a pair of bluetooth buds(connected with a wire to each other) that I got off Amazon for like $25. They actually sound decent but I got them for sitting at the pool and walking around my development.

I have been using Google products since the Nexus 1, so I admit Im a bit of a Google sheep, and Ill accept that. However, I have done too much research on the idea of bluetooth earbuds and not sure what I should get.

Ultimately, I want excellent sound quality. I like that the PB2's have all the Google assistant features and I work in an environment where having translate coming through in real time would be amazing. I just have a hard time with the fact they just arent working that well yet and need more updates to make them functional.

However, giving up those two things, are there better airbuds out there for under the $200 mark? Or do I just bite the bullet and go with the PB2's? I understand Sennheiser airbuds are amazing. Even some brands Im not familiar with for under $100 seem to work really well.

I guess I need some guidance here.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I've had quite a few truly wireless earbuds and my pixel buds are perfect especially with Google Assistant! I highly recommend them they don't have ANC, but if you don't care about that, they're perfect!

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
With the latest firmware update (550) I'm hoping most of the issues that plagued these early on have been eliminated. I still need to try them more outside, but the Bass Boost is a godsend for someone who wants a little kick from their bass. It took a long time to get to this point, but it's nice to have. Also like the idea of having feature updates for these.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I got both of my note 10 Ultras yesterday.

The Samsung dude went in and registered my phones.

When Samsung sends me a email.
I think I'm gonna get them to send me a pair of pixel buds.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
With the latest firmware update (550) I'm hoping most of the issues that plagued these early on have been eliminated. I still need to try them more outside, but the Bass Boost is a godsend for someone who wants a little kick from their bass. It took a long time to get to this point, but it's nice to have. Also like the idea of having feature updates for these.
I completely agree, so far from mine I've been flawless.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the feedback. But if it comes to music, is there a better option that sounds amazing, and doesnt need updates to make it work better?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the feedback. But if it comes to music, is there a better option that sounds amazing, and doesnt need updates to make it work better?
When it comes to music, they have natural sounding base. They're not bass heavy and they're not obnoxiously loud to listen to music with either. Honestly they're a great comfortable feel and for the money it's hard to beat them.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to music, they have natural sounding base. They're not bass heavy and they're not obnoxiously loud to listen to music with either. Honestly they're a great comfortable feel and for the money it's hard to beat them.

Have you experimented with the Google transcribe yet? Where someone is talking in another language and it translates it into your ear?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you experimented with the Google transcribe yet? Where someone is talking in another language and it translates it into your ear?
Haha no, not at all actually lol how do you use it? I'm in love with the additional EQ bass boost, the assistant for checking the buds battery life, the stable Bluetooth connection. I don't foresee myself really needing to use the independent volume controls as much because I don't share my buds with anyone else but it's still nice to have at the end of the day

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Haha no, not at all actually lol how do you use it? I'm in love with the additional EQ bass boost, the assistant for checking the buds battery life, the stable Bluetooth connection. I don't foresee myself really needing to use the independent volume controls as much because I don't share my buds with anyone else but it's still nice to have at the end of the day

I like the independent volume control because Im a little more deaf in my right ear than my left ear and I can equalize the volume between the two.

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I've been researching the PB2s, Jabra Elite 75t's and the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 for weeks and even owned the PB2's very briefly but returned them due to the cut-out issue. Which was terrible btw. Pretty much unusable for my needs (instead of enjoying my podcasts or music I was playing the when-will-they-cut-out-next game). I haven't had my hands on the others and like you have an old pair of Jaybirds with the neck cord.

I will say the PB2s were pretty dang cool. The form factor, the sound, the GA implementation.... they felt like they were pushing the whole earbud thing forward somehow. Not hugely, but still intriguingly. Which is what makes it so frustrating that they chomped it so badly in the most fundamental aspect of an earbud: the connection. I know many people don't have those issues, but many others do. I may re-buy just to see if I can get a good pair.

Long story short, from my research, if you want to skip the hassle and get something that works well right now, get the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 or maybe the Jabras (the latter seems to have slightly more complaints than the former). If you want to roll the dice and get something IMO more aesthetically pleasing and technologically intriguing, but solidly in beta with the potential of return hassle, get the PB2s.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that with the latest firmware update, I completely love the Pixel Buds 2 now. The sound quality has improved to a fuller, more satisfying sound and I've not had any connectivity issues. So, this combined with the Google Assistant integration makes these Buds really, really good. It was a bit of a rough start with these guys, but I'm glad I stuck with them and I'll give Google props for improving them and fixing the issues they were having. I can definitely recommend them now.

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that with the latest firmware update, I complete love the Pixel Buds 2 now. The sound quality has improved to a fuller, more satisfying sound and I've not had any connectivity issues. So, this combined with the Google Assistant integration makes these Buds really, really good. It was a bit of a rough start with these guys, but I'm glad I stuck with them and I'll give Google props for improving them and fixing the issues they were having. I can definitely recommend them now.
I agree with everything you just said. I have the same exact feelings!

swampbaby

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
As an early adapter of the Buds I have to say that overall....I'm NOT impressed. I've had nothing but issues with mine. I'm on my second pair already, the first ones were defective and Google replaced them.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
As an early adapter of the Buds I have to say that overall....I'm NOT impressed. I've had nothing but issues with mine. I'm on my second pair already, the first ones were defective and Google replaced them.
Ok, but how are they now after the most recent update compared to when you first got them? Or is your unhappiness with something a software fix won't help?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards