Question pixel - where are the voicemails stored on the filesystem?

phone user

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
I believe i confirmed the voicemails are not stored on the cloud, because i turned off wifi and turned on airplane mode and still was able to play a voicemail.

I thought voicemails were .amr files, but when i connect pixel to my computer via usb and search the "internal shared storage" drive for .amr i did not find any voicemails. Even though i have a few on my visual voice mail.

Are the pixel 6 voicemails stored as .amr?

I am on verizon.

Where is the voicemail folder? I have searched the system for VVM or VisualVoiceMail, and nothing comes up in the results. I also looked through this folder:
This PC\Pixel 6\Internal shared storage\Android\data

and found nothing that looked like the phone app.

I deleted a voicemail yesterday and i want it back. So im hoping to find where they are stored to have a look.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't know this for sure, but I suspect they would be part of the data in the system app called Phone and Messaging Storage. So I doubt that it would be a discrete file that you could access.

Does your Verizon voicemail phone tree include an option to recover recently deleted messages? Or if you're using VVM, is there an option there for deleted messages? (Sorry, I'm not on Verizon, so I can't test it on my own devices.)

Reactions: Laura Knotek

phone user

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Hi , thanks for the response, i do not see any app called phone and messaging storage. Where is that located? in Android/data ?

additionally i searched for phone and dont see that pop up in any results

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Im curious, What makes you think they are stored at all? Verizon being as arrogant as they are, I wouldn't be surprised if all youre seeing are cashed transcriptions and actual voice is pulled from their network.

Edit: nvm I think I misread that. Youre on Verizon but not using THEIR VVM app correct?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi , thanks for the response, i do not see any app called phone and messaging storage. Where is that located? in Android/data ?

additionally i searched for phone and dont see that pop up in any results
You would only see it in "Settings" > "Apps", and only after switching an option to see "system apps".

You won't find it by searching the file system because it's not in a folder a normal file manager can access. Even then, I suspect those individual calls are saved in an overall database, not stored as actual individual files.

Reactions: B. Diddy

phone user

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
You would only see it in "Settings" > "Apps", and only after switching an option to see "system apps".

You won't find it by searching the file system because it's not in a folder a normal file manager can access. Even then, I suspect those individual calls are saved in an overall database, not stored as actual individual files.
Okay, thanks, so i set it to show all apps, now there is still no "Voicemail" or Visual Voice Mail, what is the app called? The list now shows all of the "com.whatever.something" apps that i see when i explore the phone using my computer usb connection.

Is there any way to recover a deleted voicemail from yesterday?

phone user

Mar 28, 2024
Visit site
Okay, thanks, so i set it to show all apps, now there is still no "Voicemail" or Visual Voice Mail, what is the app called? The list now shows all of the "com.whatever.something" apps that i see when i explore the phone using my computer usb connection.

Is there any way to recover a deleted voicemail from yesterday?
If it is phone and messaging storage, i do see that, seems to say it is com.android.providers.telephony. Under the file tree via usb that particular folder does not contain any files. So then if this app is the voicemails app, the actual audio is stored in some other database elsewhere on the phone.

Well ultimately i just want to recpver this deleted voice mail, if at all possible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that protected system directories usually won't show their actual contents in conventional file managers or when connected via USB to a PC. This is a security precaution . You'd probably have to root the phone to gain access.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000