Play music using device storage

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has an answer to this. I have play music set to use my SD card as storage. However it still only using the internal storage. Does anyone know why? It's always been set that way an never to internal but can't get it to save accordingly.

Could this be an issue with this version of Android or this device? I saw it did that before but it didn't bother me as much. Bothers me now lol.

Oh and apologies if this topic has already been talked about here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 7440.jpg
    7440.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 165
  • 7441.jpg
    7441.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've always had to move the audio files manually from internal storage to my SD card. Downloaded files are automatically saved to internal storage because you don't have to option to choose a destination folder. Just check em all and move em to a folder on your SD card and you'll be able to access em easily in play music. That's your best bet

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've always had to move the audio files manually from internal storage to my SD card. Downloaded files are automatically saved to internal storage because you don't have to option to choose a destination folder. Just check em all and move em to a folder on your SD card and you'll be able to access em easily in play music. That's your best bet

Thanks but play music doesn't work like that. It doesn't store music on your device as separate individual audio files so you aren't able to just select file and cut and paste. It basically caches everything as one large file. This is why in the app you have to pick where you want that file to be stored. Thanks again though.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually what I have noticed is the play app is taking up space on both the internal and external storage. If I drill into the internal storage the app has 8.96GB of data (the rest was cache). Then I look at my SD card storage and the usage is, you guessed it 8.96GB. So I wanted to test and I cleared the data on the internal storage and it also wiped it from the external too. I google and saw that others saw similar things but no solutions. Guess I'll just try to forget about it for now.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure it can't be done. I made another thread recently about how useless SD cards are for Android apps. Transferring files from a computer sure, but the only app I know of that actually uses the SD the way you'd hope is the camera.

Andrew Richards4

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Pretty sure it can't be done. I made another thread recently about how useless SD cards are for Android apps. Transferring files from a computer sure, but the only app I knmow of that actually uses the SD the way you'd hope is the camera.

Hi guys! I may be too late, or you already figured this out but:

I just installed a 64gb card into my S7, and had the same issue with a couple apps - they would let me select external storage as the download point, but would not actually download/move any files to the SD card
UNTIL
I popped into the App Info menu for each app, went into Permissions, and turned off, then back on, Storage Permissions.
Fixed it for me!

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

I just installed a 64gb card into my S7, and had the same issue with a couple apps - they would let me select external storage as the download point, but would not actually download/move any files to the SD card
UNTIL
I popped into the App Info menu for each app, went into Permissions, and turned off, then back on, Storage Permissions.
Fixed it for me!

Interesting fix... Not seeing a change yet though... Did you have to reboot or erase the downloaded music and redownload it or something for it to work? Because just simply turning off then back on permissions doesn't seem to be making anything happen with the 2gb of downloaded thru Spotify music I have.

PhillipDDresser

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site

UNTIL
Fixed it for me!

Thanks a lot for this post! Almost compromised my phone's speed by making my SD card adoptable storage. Then I saw this. Worked for me, but I had to leave my Storage Permission turned off. After turning it off I went back into Google Play Music app settings and my external storage was available as an option. So relieved!

PhillipDDresser

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Interesting fix... Not seeing a change yet though... Did you have to reboot or erase the downloaded music and redownload it or something for it to work? Because just simply turning off then back on permissions doesn't seem to be making anything happen with the 2gb of downloaded thru Spotify music I have.
Try leaving the permission off. Then open your music app settings. There should now be an option to select external storage instead of internal.

seclinix

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Just came across this trying to find a solution for myself so you have probably found the answer, but thought I'd share anyway as I didn't find any satisfactory answers so played around on my S7 to find solution.

I dragged and dropped half my music from my computer to internal storage and half to sd card on my S7 so as not to use all my internal memory space, then found couldn't play from sd card, until I accidentally opened Google play (I had installed VLC as my preference) and skipped the paying ads as I want a free app, coming to the menu where I clicked on downloaded only, it highlighted music library, I selected a song, hit the shuffle all button, and hey presto all my songs were playing from both internal storage and sd card.

Plan on moving all my internal storage songs to the sd card now via the same drag and drop method via my computer (easiest way I've found).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays