Play Store (services?) problems in Lollipop

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Since upgrading our Droid Turbos to Lollipop, we've been having issues with Google Play Store and "Play services". (We had already limited background data for PS some time ago because it used too much.) We started getting a repeating notification that Play Store requires upgrading, but haven't done that yet because reviews report many problems including crashes and data/battery overuse. I finally stopped Play Store but the "services" are still running and consuming battery, even when the phone is sleeping in airplane mode.

Where do we want to be with this: should we upgrade PS, or not? (Version is 5.7.10) What actually works to limit its use of data and battery to reasonable levels?

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Holy COW! The version on my Moto X is 7.8.99

That's Play Store 5.7.10. Play services are 7.8.99. So it all seems pretty current, and I wonder why we were getting this message that something needs upgrading, and what the problem with battery life is since upgrading to Lollipop?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The Play Store needs background data to work properly. You can limit the mobile data used in the settings. Uncheck the auto update option or just select when connected to WiFi.

Posted via the Android Central App

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Uh, I have no problem on Lollipop with battery life.

It's just strange that "Google Play services" has become a significant user of battery and data after the Lollipop upgrade when I don't recall noticing it before. Not a huge deal, mainly noticeable when sleeping in airplane mode where you don't expect anything to be using much battery.

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
This problem finally seems to be solved with the Marshmallow upgrade (or the version of Playstore and Services bundled with it).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch