Please help me! How to access and read a draft SMS recently deleted by my android?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I want to use ADB without rooting my LG for reading a recently deleted draft SMS (when a new message entered), I have done some research the last two days, and saw that it is possible to view root files by using just USB debugging. I am new to all of this, but I really need to read the data in that draft. Can you please help me? O.S. Android 4.4.2. I'd like to specify that I have been saving this draft for quite a while, but now I lost it before backing it up unfortunately.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Daisyla

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I am the poster of this question (added before I registered). I would greatly appreciate anyone helping me. Thank you!

Daisyla

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Is it possible to view or read a deleted draft SMS on android? Please help me...

I have already tried a software but it didn't recover any deleted items. I now want to use ADB without rooting my LG G2 for reading a recently deleted draft SMS (when a new message entered), I have done some research the last two days, and saw that it is possible to view root files by using just USB debugging. I am new to all of this, but I really need to read the data in that draft. Can you please help me? O.S. Android 4.4.2. I'd like to specify that I have been saving this draft for quite a while, but now I lost it before backing it up unfortunately.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:

Daisyla

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to view or read a deleted draft SMS on android? Please help me...

Thank you Galactic Zoo, I hoped for a method without rooting (at least nothing irreversible), how about copying the whole data/data file using adb? Just to keep the file intact at least. I didn't use my phone a lot after that loss, nor did I send any SMS from it, just to have a higher likelihood of a successful recovery. Thanks anyways for your help!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
SMS messages are saved in a SQLite database, not in individual files. And, depending on the SMS app you're using, you usually have to root the phone to get to the database. Then you need a SQLite editor (there are quite a few in Play), and enough understanding of SQL to find the right file, find the deleted message, find the active/deleted field, and update the record from deleted to active (or just read the data you need directly from the database if it's only an item or two that you need).

It's not for the average user. (If you have a developer friend who understands SQL, that person might be able to do it.

But rooting 4.4.2 isn't reversible (it should be, but anything done while the phone is rooted that can't be done without root could leave "fingerprints"). If you still want to, go to https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48709232#post48709232, unzip the file, go into ioroot and follow the instructions. (You'll need a Windows, Mac or Linux computer.)

Daisyla

Jul 13, 2019
Visit site
Thank you Rukbat, I am using the default built-in messaging app of my G2. You said "usually", so have you ever encountered some situation where a database file was accessed/viewed without root? I saw some posts and videos claiming we could view (albeit not modify) a root file using just adb and cmd... Otherwise no luck for me, because I am really not comfortable with rooting, as it's high risk and irreversible, unless there's something like "temporary" rooting that will set my phone back to non-rooted just after I finish my command and read my data, then restart my phone, temporary root which I am not sure even exists, or at least not for G2 and kitkat.
The thing is, the whole message conversation is till in my phone with this contact, just the draft thread is gone. I have this dream that just a simple phone restart will get it back, I know, wishful thinking...

One other thing, I did a backup for all text messages right after that loss, in case my phone would still have some trace of that draft and keep it. In general, do the backup apps save drafts too?

I apologize for the length (and for my insisting to find alternatives), and I thank you for your reply and your time.