Pocket Unlock

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This is new on "P" for my Pixel 2. never happened on Oreo. I find it has unlocked itself and frequently has activated a function. earlier today it unlocked itself and turned the flashlight on while in my front pocket. Lost 20% battery before I discovered it. It has opened my textra app and so far thank god has not sent any texts. Opened my email as well. all "smart lock" settings are as they should be. Fingerprint unlock is set. Now I need to be extra vigilant which is a pita. For now I will stop carrying it there, a shirt pocket is fine but don't always wear a shirt with a pocket.
Anyone else having any weird phantom unlocks?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This is new on "P" for my Pixel 2. never happened on Oreo. I find it has unlocked itself and frequently has activated a function. earlier today it unlocked itself and turned the flashlight on while in my front pocket. Lost 20% battery before I discovered it. It has opened my textra app and so far thank god has not sent any texts. Opened my email as well. all "smart lock" settings are as they should be. Fingerprint unlock is set. Now I need to be extra vigilant which is a pita. For now I will stop carrying it there, a shirt pocket is fine but don't always wear a shirt with a pocket.
Anyone else having any weird phantom unlocks?

As a beta tester, please be sure you report this! We certainly don't want bugs like this happening with the release product!

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm not on "P", but several times I have found my flashlight on when I have taken my phone out of my pocket or purse. I try to be careful about turning my screen off before putting it in anyplace, so that a screen touch doesn't activate anything, but I can't be certain that it isn't my fault for forgetting. I've also had the phone app opened, or the camera app. It probably IS my fault for forgetting to turn the screen off, but it is disconcerting when it happens!

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I am not using the beta but this happens to me all the time. All smart lock options (on-body detection, trusted places, etc) are turned off. It is even set to instantly lock via the power switch and it is still waking up and doing things.

From what I have read online, this isn't an uncommon problem.

-kp

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
@kpluck, interesting. one thing I've noticed is it only seems to happen when I go without a case and have it in a pants pocket next to my leg. must be rubbing. shirt pocket is fine. I'm being more Vigilant about it. I don't think it's a "P" issue.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I am not using the beta but this happens to me all the time. All smart lock options (on-body detection, trusted places, etc) are turned off. It is even set to instantly lock via the power switch and it is still waking up and doing things.

From what I have read online, this isn't an uncommon problem.

-kp

I've never had my Pixel 2 XL unlock without using my fingerprint or PIN. I'm not using the beta either.

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been using on body detection for awhile. As I mentioned, I have turned off ALL smart locks/unlocks and the problem still occurs.

After reading some comments online, I disabled the Smart Lock trust agent a few days. Since I have done that, I have not had the problem return.

It is still a bit early to say that solved the problem, but I am beginning to think in some cases, even though you may not have any of the smart locks/unlocks enabled, that Android is using them anyway.

-kp