Poor quality video calling

Nicksterr

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed poor video call quality? I have tried Skype, Ovoo, and Tango. Tango seems to have the best quality. Skype won't even show video to the person on the other end for me. Ovoo transfers an extremely dark image. All three of these apps worked beautifully with excellent quality on my friend's iPhone 5. Technically the front-facing camera on the Nexus 4 is better. So, software issues?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Install the free Speedtest.net app. Run a few tests in the same environment in which you have video call problems (home? office?) in order to ensure you have the same or similar data connection.

Report the results here.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Install the free Speedtest.net app. Run a few tests in the same environment in which you have video call problems (home? office?) in order to ensure you have the same or similar data connection.

Report the results here.
I agree. Quality of the video chat can be related to connection quality. If the connection isn't solid or low speed it will affect the outcome on both ends of the video chat. Otherwise, it could be software/firmware related.

THe front facing camera is not as good as the back facing camera.
That has always been the case. Front camera is always of lesser quality than the rear. But today's front facing cameras are of much higher quality so this shouldn't been much of an issue like it was in years past.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this as well even over my WiFi network from home with my girlfriend or family on LTE or WiFi as well. The Nexus 4 front facing camera isn't that great and didn't do as well as my GS3, HTC One X or my parents iPhone 5.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this as well even over my WiFi network from home with my girlfriend or family on LTE or WiFi as well. The Nexus 4 front facing camera isn't that great and didn't do as well as my GS3, HTC One X or my parents iPhone 5.

I've barely played around with the N4 at T-Mobile, but I thought the front camera was one of the better ones I've seen, definitely better than my girlfriends GS3. In Phil's review it looked phenomenal, especially considering the amount of negative reviews regarding this Nexus's rear shooter.

Whenever mine arrives Google+ Hangouts and Snapchat will decide just how good it is...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp