Potentially fake update on Android Pixel 6a

kaeros85

Apr 18, 2024
Visit site
I was browsing Instagram videos on my Pixel 6a, when a pop-up appeared asking for a security update. It looked legit so I went with it, but it still doesn't sit with me quite right. Call it a gut feeling.

The date on the update was 5th of April, rather than yesterday, but the people at Android Help explained to me that that's the date of the release, rather than the date when the update was performed on the phone. I've checked the releases here and the latest release for the Pixel 6a matches the one I have, so nothing suspicious here.

My phone behaves correctly at the moment, but I still can't shake that gut feeling and I'm kind of worried since I have sensitive apps and data on my phone.

Is there something that I can check to be sure that nothing malicious happened? Would a factory reset be enough to shake off any fake update?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most likely not a fake one (if it came through as a system pop-up and not a browser one). A factory reset would almost certainly wipe any wrongdoing, but personally I wouldn't go that far as I don't think this is a fake one. BUT telling points IF it was? Network traffic while idle would increase as would app usage for apps you may not be using as well as additional downloads/app installs to what you have actually installed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky