Power cable question

Nnelg77

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Just got my new Pixel 2XL – this thing is amazing!

One question: what cable do I need to get to hook it up to my laptop that only has USB ports? I'm coming from an iPhone so everything is very new to me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You need an USB-C to USB-A cable... the one that comes with your charger should do just fine IF your computer has USB-A ports (AKA 'normal' USB ports). If you have a new computer with USB-C ports (like a Samsung tablet or the new Macbooks) then you need a male-to-female USB-C cable (which doesn't come in the box and you'd need to buy).

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You need an USB-C to USB-A cable... the one that comes with your charger should do just fine IF your computer has USB-A ports (AKA 'normal' USB ports). If you have a new computer with USB-C ports (like a Samsung tablet or the new Macbooks) then you need a male-to-female USB-C cable (which doesn't come in the box and you'd need to buy).

The cable that comes in the box is all USB-C...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, crap! Thanks for that correction... in that case, OP, you should have what you need in the box if your computer has an USB-C port! I'm told there is also an A-to-C adapter in the box, but that is Female-A to Male-C, so that won't work if you have 'normal' ports. For that you'd need a Male-A to Male-C cable. And that's the one you'd need to buy.

Nnelg77

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
Oh, crap! Thanks for that correction... in that case, OP, you should have what you need in the box if your computer has an USB-C port! I'm told there is also an A-to-C adapter in the box, but that is Female-A to Male-C, so that won't work if you have 'normal' ports. For that you'd need a Male-A to Male-C cable. And that's the one you'd need to buy.

Is there a particular brand(s) that will only work? I've heard someone here at work say the Pixel2 won't work with certain brands of cables - not sure how true that is.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you'll need either a Male-USB-A-to-Male-USB-C cable or a Female-USB-C-to-Male-USB-A adapter to use with your current cable.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
No you are totally wrong. The adapter in the box is is usb-a to usb-c. You can get a c to a adapter from Amazon for a few quid for 3. Anker do some.

The cable that comes with the phone is usb-c to usb-c and would work directly with a laptop that has usb-c ports

Finally buy a cable that supports fast charging or usb 3.0 or 3.1 to support the pixel 2

Below is a c to a adapter

The grey cable is usb-a to usb-c. The white cable is c to c which comes in the box.
a5e6b770972f9a8e1c6a0ea98e1ca559.jpg
08044aee6acf38a9857bd7175a61beaf.jpg
d4f8e6dfd013fc7504ad5fdd37c0e7e9.jpg
55252f51e942ff47be468af62dcd1cb0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts