Prevent/Stop Android 12 update after receiving software update notification (S10+)?

ZeRoX99

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+

Android Version: 11

Carrier: T-mobile

I've just received the dreaded software update notification for One UI4 (Android 12). Obviously, I'm looking to stay on Android 11 in order to keep GearVR functioning.

I've tried doing my own research before posting here. Things I've tried beforehand:

1. Enabled developer mode and disabled "Auto Update System".

2. Clear out cache and app data for Settings

3. Clear out cache for Google Play Services. No option to clear app data.

Unfortunately, the notification still pops up. Ultimately, I just want to stay on version 11 and I'm okay with the notification popping up in the short term so long as I can prevent the update from happening.

Is there any way I can prevent this update from installing? Is it possible to delete the update data and if so, how do I go about doing this? Am I too late since I already have the notification? Since I have disabled the "Auto Update System" option in developer mode, will the update be stopped once the deadline is reached?

On a side note: I have recently into T-mobile and Samsung for assistance. While T-mobile didn't quite have a solution as they referred me to Samsung, the rep at Samsung told me that I would probably have to go to one of the iFixit stores to get it re-flashed (despite not having installed the update yet). The rep said it would somehow get rid of the update and further notifications, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. This apparently costs a little bit of money if the phone is out of warranty (as mine is). However, it just sounds a little strange that I would need to re-flash an OS on something I already have installed, which doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks in advance!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
One thing you can try is to make sure you don't charge the phone while turned on and connected to wifi. With past versions of Android it wouldn't automatically install a system update unless the phone was on, plugged in to make sure the battery didn't die mid update, and on wi-fi so you wouldn't get data charges.

I have a landline, so I always turn my phones off at night then charge them up before I go to bed. I've never had a phone auto update the operating system, ever. I've always had to do it manually. I'm not sure if Android 11 or Samsung phones work that way, but every other brand I've dealt with seems to.

That's a bit of a hassle to do if you're in the habit of leaving your phone on and charging all night tho... which most folks are :( You could still leave the phone on at night... just turn it off to charge it then unplug it and turn it back on. I've done that in the past because I don't like leaving my phones on the charger all night.

I hope the developer option works for you, that would by far be the easiest method ;) I've heard it's supposed to work.

Tom Asz1

Apr 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
on the Samsung Galaxy S10 (which I bought only because of the GearVR function) after updating the software to OneUI 4.0, the entire Oculus subsystem and everything related to GearVR stopped working. The fact that it wasn't written in capital letters before the update name is rude, but it's hard. This is not the first time that Samsung has surprised me negatively in this respect. But to the point:
Please help me restore the previous software version on which GearVR was running WITHOUT DELETING DATA FROM THE PHONE. I tried Odin, with HOME_CSC flashing, but the phone crashed into a bootoop, which was only solved by installing on a newer, truncated version. I haven't tried wiping the cache partition, but I don't want to put myself under the stress of flashing older versions again without making sure it helps :) Has anyone managed to restore the previous versions of the system without wiping data? I mean specifically downgrade Android 12 -> Android 11 (or OneUI 4.0 -> OneUI 3.x)
Many thanks for your help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
on the Samsung Galaxy S10 (which I bought only because of the GearVR function) after updating the software to OneUI 4.0, the entire Oculus subsystem and everything related to GearVR stopped working. The fact that it wasn't written in capital letters before the update name is rude, but it's hard. This is not the first time that Samsung has surprised me negatively in this respect. But to the point:
Please help me restore the previous software version on which GearVR was running WITHOUT DELETING DATA FROM THE PHONE. I tried Odin, with HOME_CSC flashing, but the phone crashed into a bootoop, which was only solved by installing on a newer, truncated version. I haven't tried wiping the cache partition, but I don't want to put myself under the stress of flashing older versions again without making sure it helps :) Has anyone managed to restore the previous versions of the system without wiping data? I mean specifically downgrade Android 12 -> Android 11 (or OneUI 4.0 -> OneUI 3.x)
Many thanks for your help!
Welcome to AC!

You can try XDA Forum or SamMobile website to get the last Android 11 firmware then flash through Odin using the 4 slots but CSC needs Home CSC to try save data and no guarantee you be able to flash to lower Android version or save data , back your device always when attempting to flash

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci