Question Problem with Home Screen Contact Shortcut

TechTimid

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
I still have my old Moto E5 Play phone. I tried to call a contact using the shortcut yesterday, and the call did not go through. This is a shortcut for my home that I've used for years.

Since it was faulty, I swiped up to remove it from the home screen. When I went to my contacts to add that same one to my home screen, it kept saying that Home was already there.

I deleted the contact and started a fresh one. It worked, but still could not get it to the home screen. Kept getting a message that it was already there. I could see nothing....very frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you tried to delete that contact widget, are you certain you got rid of it completely, or might it have moved to a different homescreen instead?

It sounds like you're starting with the contact in the Contacts app and using the Add to Homescreen option there. What if you start at the homescreen and add a Contact widget there? I'm able to add multiple contact widgets for the same contact that way.

Reactions: TechTimid

TechTimid

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
When you tried to delete that contact widget, are you certain you got rid of it completely, or might it have moved to a different homescreen instead?

It sounds like you're starting with the contact in the Contacts app and using the Add to Homescreen option there. What if you start at the homescreen and add a Contact widget there? I'm able to add multiple contact widgets for the same contact that way.
Thanks, I'll try that in the morning. Still not familiar with things on the smartphone, I don't use it often, only for a short call when out somewhere.

Reactions: B. Diddy

TechTimid

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
@B. Diddy

Thank you so much, I followed your advice and attempted to put the shortcut there via the home screen, and it worked!

I only have two shortcuts that are important to me on my home screen, my husband's cell number and my house number. Losing that one was upsetting, even though I could go under Contacts and make the call, or type the phone number in and call him that way. I did want something that was fast in case of emergency.

I do appreciate your quick reply, thanks again. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! I would also point out that if you want a true one-touch dial, use the Direct Dial widget instead of the Contact widget. I think the Contact widget requires two taps to make the call.

Reactions: TechTimid

TechTimid

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
Great! I would also point out that if you want a true one-touch dial, use the Direct Dial widget instead of the Contact widget. I think the Contact widget requires two taps to make the call.
Thanks for the tip. I have it set up to have to tap the call icon in addition to the shortcut, because I did have it set years ago to call immediately, but was calling home accidentally just by taking the phone out of my pocket and handling it. Seems I was always touching something on the screen that I shouldn't be, lol.