Problem with Kies when updating to Jelly Bean

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm helping my girlfriend update her SGS2 to Jelly Bean but I'm having a problem. I had CM on it for awhile for her but its been glitching and doing weird stuff recently so I told her I'd just wipe it clean and make everything stock again (she's really not techie. Long as its stable and she can send/read emoji with the JB update, she's happy).

So I factory reset, that put it on Gingerbread. The I performed maybe 3 OTA updates in a row, bringing it to FL24 I think (whatever the most recent before GB27 was). Now, here's the problem.

I'm connected to Kies, drivers installed, space cleared for the big update, charged to 40%, I'm telling Kies to perform the update but it just closes right after it downloads whatever packages I think it says its downloading. I've tried everything I could but its just not updating the phone. I thought it was lack of space but it wasn't. I'm thinking maybe it needs to charge more but I figured it'd say that. Plus I did every other update on a little over 20% of battery.

Anybody have this problem? Solutions? Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
What was the other option samsung recommended because I've been having the same problem for over a month with Kies.

It was most likely to go to the Samsung website and download the updater directly from them. Kies is unnecessary. You can find the link for it posted in a few different threads around here.

Heather Carlson

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in responding. I already contacted Samsung and found out ATT requires us to update through Kies and there's no way around it. After spending over two hours on the phone with them and doing all the troubleshooting ideas their only answer is that I need to send in my phone to get flashed. Since no one has been able to justify this action in a way that satisfies my need to be without a phone for a half a month I'm just going to give up on my Jelly Bean update.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in responding. I already contacted Samsung and found out ATT requires us to update through Kies and there's no way around it. After spending over two hours on the phone with them and doing all the troubleshooting ideas their only answer is that I need to send in my phone to get flashed. Since no one has been able to justify this action in a way that satisfies my need to be without a phone for a half a month I'm just going to give up on my Jelly Bean update.

Well, FWIW, this thread is posted in the Sprint SGS2 E4GT forum, not the AT&T SGS2. In other words, the info here is useless for your phone.

stefsull

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine to update. Turns out, even tho there WAS enough room on the SD card, by unmounting the SD, mine updated.

I found a couple other connection troubleshooting options (that don't work on my Galaxy Note) related to choosing the Kies connection in the USB menu (I don't have that option). That seemed to help some folks out. HTH

rodrigo2304

May 21, 2013
Visit site
you are brilliant. i have tried so many suggestions to get my note to update and nothing worked till i took your advise and removed the SD card. you are awesome!!!

sg79

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem and concluded that I should have used the original USB cable that came with my phone when connecting my phone up to my computer to upgrade the software via Kies.

[I had used a random USB cable initially and my phone crashed in the middle of the downloading of the upgrade package and required emergency firmware rebooting via Kies - I tried that a few times and failed apart from when I found and used the original USB cable] - there is in fact a warning on Kies that one should use USB 2.0 connection - that's what they meant by that!