Problem with permissions now

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm now having problems with apps saying they need to have permission to draw over other apps or they will not work. The problem with that is I get other error messages saying I need to disable those draw over permissions or they will not work. Sometimes the app giving the error isn't listed or is already indicated as having the permission. I'm gonna do a hard reset later but if there's a better solution I'd be happy to try it. I seriously can't wait for the next Note to come out. This phone's days are numbered!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, this is an Android thing, not specific to the G4. They made the change as a security measure to help prevent apps from secretly recording your inputs and stealing your information. So don't be surprised if you see this on the next Note or any other new phone.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It's not the idea of permissions it's the contradiction that causes the problem. My backup phone, Nexus 5, doesn't have this problem. I have them set up identically.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Does your Nexus 5 have Marshmallow. I'm not familiar with it personally, but my guess is yours doesn't.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/E_cPGSWmbew;context-place=topicsearchin/nexus/category$3Anexus-5

Like I said, this is Android related, so upgrading phones isn't going to "fix" anything. Heck, I saw a post on here from someone with a Note 5 having this issue, so you can bet the Note 7 will unless Android, not Samsung, gets an update to address this issue.

I haven't personally had a problem. Any time I install a new app, I make sure any screen overlays are off (virtual screen filters like Lux and Blue Light are common culprits), install the app, set the draw over apps permission if necessary, then turn the overlay back on. From that point on, it all works as intended. I don't get repeated notices about overlays being on and such.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does have MM
Then I'm guessing you inadvertently set things up the right way to avoid those notices. The Google thread I linked to was specific to Nexus 5, but a search of the screen overlay detected notice brings up results from numerous phones. So my initial point still stands that this is an Android issue, not a G4 issue, and you'll likely encounter it again if you upgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymousaga