Problem with text message character limit?

bellesorrisa

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Curious - this is sort of related to this topic, but move it if it's not. A couple times I sent a long text message and then the person on the other end said it came as all garbled - all letters and numbers mixed up. That doesn't happen if I send short messages. Was wondering if any of you experienced the same issue?

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I just contacted Samsung level 3 support. Got a India sounding girl but claims she is in Texas. Anyways she "claimed" she made a report for the Samsung engineers about this problem. I said it is insane you claim in your manual page 231 that "You can send text (SMS) messages of up to 160 characters to another mobile phone.
If you keep typing after the limit, your message is delivered as a series of messages" which is a straight up lie because this phone stops you at 160 and doesn't let you continue after 160 characters to be sent in a series of messages! We need more people than me to call in about this issue because it is just flat out annoying having to send a message halfway through typing it. Anyways hope we get a update soon!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I just contacted Samsung level 3 support. Got a India sounding girl but claims she is in Texas. Anyways she "claimed" she made a report for the Samsung engineers about this problem. I said it is insane you claim in your manual page 231 that "You can send text (SMS) messages of up to 160 characters to another mobile phone.
If you keep typing after the limit, your message is delivered as a series of messages" which is a straight up lie because this phone stops you at 160 and doesn't let you continue after 160 characters to be sent in a series of messages! We need more people than me to call in about this issue because it is just flat out annoying having to send a message halfway through typing it. Anyways hope we get a update soon!

Just install a 3rd party messaging app, handcent, gosms, chomp sms... and problem solved for now while waiting for an update. Besides, those messaging apps are much more customizable anyway.

For example, install handcent and then in it, go to settings... send message settings... and then just chose how you want the Split 160 option to work, and you can again send long SMS messages that are automatically split-up without manually doing it.

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Curious - this is sort of related to this topic, but move it if it's not. A couple times I sent a long text message and then the person on the other end said it came as all garbled - all letters and numbers mixed up. That doesn't happen if I send short messages. Was wondering if any of you experienced the same issue?

I actually posted about this in another thread. but in Go SMS you need to go to setting form the main screen and then to send settings and there's a "split large messges" option that should be enabled.
I don't know if there is an equivalent option in handcent.
Hope that helps

cute prince

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi Dear....
I got the solution
U do not need to insatll 3rd party apps
Simply go to setting and slect text massenge here u will see the option of "input mode" open it and slect automatic

If u get rid off this problem plzzzzzz Share it others
THANKS U

Taylor Sartre

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello all, just got my Nexus S yesterday and I love it! However, though the user guide says text messages over the 160 character limit will automatically go over into a second message that will be sent at the same time (like most phones and like the Rant I switched from), once I hit 160 characters, I am not allowed to input any more text. I have looked at all the messaging settings and can't seem to rectify this. Is anyone else having this problem and its there anything I can do to fix this? I send a lot of longer text messages and it is getting annoying having to stop and make two drafts or go back and truncate my texts. Any input is appreciated, I have the feeling I'm just missing something! Thanks.

Taylor Sartre

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem- went to messaging, settings, advanced, and checked "disable split map". I would have never known this was the solution if I hadn't found some key words here within these replies! "Split Map"- who knew! ; )