problems with touchscreen oh no!

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
from the engadget article:

There's always hope that this could be fixed with a firmware bump, but that hope looks to be in jeopardy from language posted by a Google engineer in the official Android dev forums: "...this is how the touch screen hardware on the Nexus One works (which is essentially the same screen as on the G1 and myTouch). The Droid has a sensor from a different manufacturer, with different behavior. Other phones will likewise have different sensors." In other words, Google seems to think that HTC's just using a lower-quality sensor than Motorola is. That's good news for Droid owners, we suppose -- but with game development on Android still something of a non-starter, hardware issues like this keep fragmenting the user base and preventing big-name developers from jumping in and betting on the platform. Follow the break for video proof of the wackiness.

cortezi

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
is this a problem with the touchscreen OR a (potential?) problem when using the touchscreen with games that rely on multi-touch screens? it seems to be the latter. no worries for me then, because i don't play games on my N1. i do, however, sympathize with N1 owners/gamers who purchased their devices under the belief it had robust Multi-touch features.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
what does it matter if it is more towards gaming or not. it is a big problem with multi touch period. whether you are gaming or using it to move red and blue dots around the screen. it is very disheartening

cortezi

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
what does it matter if it is more towards gaming or not. it is a big problem with multi touch period. whether you are gaming or using it to move red and blue dots around the screen. it is very disheartening
i understand it's disheartening to you. my point is that it's not affected me and/or the way i'm using the N1. if the behaviors are more prevalent when gaming, then it is indeed unfortunate for the N1 gamers.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
the developers noticed. while developing apps for the N1, he noticed anomolies that were bugging him and decided to develop this app to test his theory.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
To anyone reading these articles, I strongly suggest not buying an N1. The fact that you have already decided the phone has problems before owning it spells disaster for your purchase if you go through with it. If you have already decided it is junk you would be infinitely better served to purchase a droid or a Cliq.

It is an awesome piece of hardware that already rocks and will only get better.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
To anyone reading these articles, I strongly suggest not buying an N1. The fact that you have already decided the phone has problems before owning it spells disaster for your purchase if you go through with it. If you have already decided it is junk you would be infinitely better served to purchase a droid or a Cliq.

It is an awesome piece of hardware that already rocks and will only get better.

i havnt decided the phone has problems, it has them. trust me if it was up to my decision it would be perfect. all you have to do is read the many forums and blogs to see that the phone has some pretty substantial problems, its not like we are making them up. lets go through a couple of them real quick:

1. soft buttons
2. acurate screen calibration
3. less than stellar distribution model
4. support problems early on (maybe still)
5. lack of floating point optimization (iphone has double the FPS)
6. color banding on AMOLED
7. Multitouch issues
8. 3g issues
9. reception issues (depending on where you hold it)

but im imagining it.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the point being made is that you edizzle are listing all these things that suck about the nexus 1 yet say you are still planning on buying the phone...That doesn't make sense, why buy a phone that has a bunch of problems? Wait until a phone comes out that works better for you with less issues. Most of those problems you list arent a big deal to me, but obviously they are to you.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I think the point being made is that you edizzle are listing all these things that suck about the nexus 1 yet say you are still planning on buying the phone...That doesn't make sense, why buy a phone that has a bunch of problems? Wait until a phone comes out that works better for you with less issues. Most of those problems you list arent a big deal to me, but obviously they are to you.

Exactly. If you don't like what you hear about the phone, and you take what you are reading about problems SOME people are having as the absolute fact for every nexus produced, don't buy it! I does no good for you to troll around in this forum telling everybody what a POS it is when you dont even own it!

Posting negative feedback about a device you dont own is ludicrous. Not only do you sway the decisions of others in a negative way, but it adds a very negative undertone to the particular forum. One of the things I hated the most about crackberry when I was a storm owner was how hostile everyone was because everyone would read to far into a comment and it would be taken as fact.

Bottom line, if you own the device and hate it, flame away. If not, why waist your breath and get everyones panties in a twist over something you read on a tech site? I would say you might be happier with an iPhone or a Droid if you hate so much what you are hearing from others. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy my google earth and my 5mp camera.

P.S.
1. soft buttons - Only an issue for those who cant get a feel for it.
2. acurate screen calibration - Not a problem on mine.
3. less than stellar distribution model - Where do you get this? I think the quality is top notch. Yes I've owned an iPhone.
4. support problems early on (maybe still) - What support problems? You mean the fact that T-mobile wasent properly trained before the launch? Maybe the fact that Google didnt have there own support in place at launch? (they sure do now)
5. lack of floating point optimization (iphone has double the FPS) - Buy an iPhone.
6. color banding on AMOLED - If you can really see this while running apps, you should buy a different phone.
7. Multitouch issues - Reported by some. Mine is top notch.
8. 3g issues - No problem with 3g here. I get better 3g than my wifes BB hands down.
9. reception issues (depending on where you hold it) - Again, only affects some. I did the same test from the hidden menu, no change.

Last edited:

rayo2010

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I really doubt that this guy wants to buy a N1, he doesn't even own one and he complains more than the people that actually do. I haven't had any problems with the touch screen so far, I really don't see what the big deal is. I must be one lucky guy.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
about what some people are saying? i have watched video proof of the color banding, poor FPS, and multitouch problems. i am not leaving feedback for the N1, i am expressing serious dissapointment in all of the negative reviews and press it is getting. no matter what anybody says, whether you are happy or not with the phone, the fact is compared to the hype and the release videos that google released the phone is a let down in many ways. i am buying one because i really dont have a choice. i decided to take my business towards adopting full google apps premier for calander, contacts, documents etc. i am in line for google voice number. so i want an android phone for the tight google integration. i have to have VZW as i live in a remote mountainous area and while even VZW isnt the end all, it is by far the best coverage here. i want a bar phone, i do not like the form factor or styling of the droid. i have waited all this time for supposedly the baddest ass phone on the market. i was done with the storm a week or two after i bought it (although within last 6 months it has become a pretty decent device, but i want so much more). i can deal with the growing pains while all of these bugs get worked out, just like i did with the storm, can i not vent my opinions even though they are negative?

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
After reading some of your other posts it is apparent that you either need to take your business to ATT and get iPhones or suck it up with the form factor of the Droid/Droid Eris Not to mention the incredible. It's not like you will be tied down to the N1 on verizon. There will be many android phones that surpass the N1 in every way down the line.

The truth is that in this thread (as well as others you are posting in) you are not just sharing your opinions, you are completely flaming a device that not only do you have zero experience with first hand, but a device that still has a rumored release date as well as a completely different radio being CDMA (not to mention there are not even any pictures of the verizon version.

You are sharing opinions of SOME peoples findings and formulating an opinion on a device that is not even in peoples hands.

Doesn't quite add up.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I really doubt that this guy wants to buy a N1, he doesn't even own one and he complains more than the people that actually do. I haven't had any problems with the touch screen so far, I really don't see what the big deal is. I must be one lucky guy.

you are exactly what kind of ticks me off. denial does not help the progression off this device. why would you not want your $530 phone with the most state of the art specs not want it to outperform the competition. Android will grow with popularity. Popularity will not increase if consumers see the problems and flaws that are being widely announced (not just by me on a forum) and if develepers shy away from developing apple rivaling apps. we need to have a unified voice to the powers that be, that this is unacceptable. not by people saying oh mine is fine, but a small minority of owners have problems. so far the N1 is very underwhelming, i find it very hard to believe that google is satisfied with all of the activity that has happened since launch date.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
After reading some of your other posts it is apparent that you either need to take your business to ATT and get iPhones or suck it up with the form factor of the Droid/Droid Eris Not to mention the incredible. It's not like you will be tied down to the N1 on verizon. There will be many android phones that surpass the N1 in every way down the line.

The truth is that in this thread (as well as others you are posting in) you are not just sharing your opinions, you are completely flaming a device that not only do you have zero experience with first hand, but a device that still has a rumored release date as well as a completely different radio being CDMA (not to mention there are not even any pictures of the verizon version.

You are sharing opinions of SOME peoples findings and formulating an opinion on a device that is not even in peoples hands.

Doesn't quite add up.

i do see where you are coming from and i believe i could lighten it up. i am not trying to be a big baby, i just find it so frustrating that large companies release products that either are not truly ready to be released or are not properly tested to reveal flaws. i love the N1, i have held one and played with it. i think it is truly a device i would be happy with. there are some fatal flaws that i am not happy about, but such is life. i just thought with such big stakes on the line that the release would be so much more.

rayo2010

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
you are exactly what kind of ticks me off. denial does not help the progression off this device. why would you not want your $530 phone with the most state of the art specs not want it to outperform the competition. Android will grow with popularity. Popularity will not increase if consumers see the problems and flaws that are being widely announced (not just by me on a forum) and if develepers shy away from developing apple rivaling apps. we need to have a unified voice to the powers that be, that this is unacceptable. not by people saying oh mine is fine, but a small minority of owners have problems. so far the N1 is very underwhelming, i find it very hard to believe that google is satisfied with all of the activity that has happened since launch date.

Ok, so all of us that are enjoying our Nexus ones should be ashamed? Should I return my phone? You think I can get a full refund?

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
There are flaws with EVERY phone. Thats just the way it is. Even if every one of those issues you listed are true, none of those are a big deal to me. You saying people are nieve because they don't notice these problems is assuming everyone things the way you do. I dont play games, I dont take a lot of pictures and I don't care if I occasionally have to push a button twice for it to register.

Things I DO care about are form factor and speed of everyday use which makes the N1 an appealing option to me. After lugging around my brick of a Touch Pro 2, I am ready for something lighter. I think you are looking for the holy grail of phones, sorry to tell you there is no such thing.

edit: Forgot to mention a lot of the phone reviewers must also be ignoring these so called issues by giving the N1 good reviews. I bet they have google in their back pocket...(sarcasm)

Last edited:

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. If you don't like what you hear about the phone, and you take what you are reading about problems SOME people are having as the absolute fact for every nexus produced, don't buy it! I does no good for you to troll around in this forum telling everybody what a POS it is when you dont even own it!

Posting negative feedback about a device you dont own is ludicrous. Not only do you sway the decisions of others in a negative way, but it adds a very negative undertone to the particular forum. One of the things I hated the most about crackberry when I was a storm owner was how hostile everyone was because everyone would read to far into a comment and it would be taken as fact.

Bottom line, if you own the device and hate it, flame away. If not, why waist your breath and get everyones panties in a twist over something you read on a tech site? I would say you might be happier with an iPhone or a Droid if you hate so much what you are hearing from others. Meanwhile I will continue to enjoy my google earth and my 5mp camera.

P.S.
1. soft buttons - Only an issue for those who cant get a feel for it.
2. acurate screen calibration - Not a problem on mine.
3. less than stellar distribution model - Where do you get this? I think the quality is top notch. Yes I've owned an iPhone.
4. support problems early on (maybe still) - What support problems? You mean the fact that T-mobile wasent properly trained before the launch? Maybe the fact that Google didnt have there own support in place at launch? (they sure do now)
5. lack of floating point optimization (iphone has double the FPS) - Buy an iPhone.
6. color banding on AMOLED - If you can really see this while running apps, you should buy a different phone.
7. Multitouch issues - Reported by some. Mine is top notch.
8. 3g issues - No problem with 3g here. I get better 3g than my wifes BB hands down.
9. reception issues (depending on where you hold it) - Again, only affects some. I did the same test from the hidden menu, no change.

Rusty, the distribution model he refers to is web orders only. No ability to try the device in stores before purchase. Thats pretty lousy. The rest of his points are subjective and kind of on a case by case basis.